Author Topic: Production Platform Two, Outland Station  (Read 7700 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Production Platform Two, Outland Station
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
Now I've found a comment made on a casting video that someone uses spray-on olive oil to keep the second pour from sticking...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
As promised, here's the clear gel box from WalMart's floral dept.  I found it next to the floral foam and wire supplies.  Less than $7.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
So today saw the Platform tooling up with new molds!  I set up the R2 head for a 2-piece mold and broke out the quick-set.  At that point, I discovered the base had already been OPENED and USED!!!  Oh, I was mad!  (I get cranky easily after only 3 hrs of crappy sleep)  The store I got it from *will* replace it, I called and asked.  But I wasn't going *that* direction for a few days and doesn't help me at all with today's pours.   :'(

Well, I pulled out the last of the HSIII I had on-hand.  I ended up with just under 4oz of base, which was enough to pour the first side of the R2/R3 dome mold and left me with prolly not quite enough for the second side.  So, being a good caster, I slapped together some new molds!  I grabbed up parts I wanted to cast and boxed up four new sets of items.  Well, two of them are actually the second and third attempts at molding the two-part toolkit that came with the Hoth Evac. R2D2.  My first effort never would pull *quite* right, so I've changed orientation and am having another go at it.   Another mold has 4 different cantina and lego goblets and the fourth box has a chest-box from the "Rebuild Vader" fig, a datapad from Lushros Dofine, and a pair of Luke's macrobinoculars.  We'll see how all that comes out.

I plan on an expeditionary outing today or tomorrow to the HL in the other direction in order to resupply on HSIII.

Hm... now I need to go examine that moisture vaporator to see how I need to set it up for molding...

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
BAD version of the dome in clear for R3???

;D

just kidding, no pressure 

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »
hehe, I hear ya!  Yep, first pull in the new 2-part mold will be done in clear so you will have a GOOD BAD dome, rather than a TERRIBLE BAD dome!!
 ;D

I crack myself up, I tell ya...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »
lol... pics doc.. pics....

that's a shame about the opened box...  people are crooked. 

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »
I'm takin 'em!  Gonna wait til the whole ordeal is done ta post 'em.

eta: stupid spelling mistakes
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:45:48 PM by DocOutlands »

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
hehe, I hear ya!  Yep, first pull in the new 2-part mold will be done in clear so you will have a GOOD BAD dome, rather than a TERRIBLE BAD dome!!
 ;D

I crack myself up, I tell ya...
Hasbro's done great with some BAD droids but some of the BAD are truly bad bad bad. 

hahah

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
They opened and used the stuff and then returned it?

I want some macrobinochulars, Doc. Oh, and some pics.

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind a few clear domes if you are mass producing them, :)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
Well and so - I managed to hit up a Hobby Lobby today (came out of there with kids, supplies, and coupons strung out behind me like a momma duck!  The person in front would pay and hand the change to the next one in line for *that* one to pay and use a coupon, etc) and even looked at the "Cast'in Craft" clear resin over in the soap/candle making area.  It was an epoxy resin, just like the water gel I picked up at WalMart.  It was a 6oz pkg - 2 3oz bottles, 1:1 by volume mix with a sticker price of $12!!  Holy crap, I paid about half that for 25% MORE PRODUCT!  And am so far pleased with that product.  Anyway, I read the directions and cautions, etc.  Under molds, it said the epoxy resin can be used with silicone molds (HSIII and Quick-Set), but should only be used with a mold-release/conditioner.  So, I picked up a bottle of it to use on my clear casts since I've already seen it could be pretty rough on the molds.  Pricey stuff - $10 for a...4oz pump-spray bottle.  But with a 40%-Off coupon to get it to $6 *and* figuring in it will protect the molds during clear pours, I reckoned it to be money well-spent.

The silicones were $5 more at this HL than the place I normally shop.  Ugh.  $29.99 for the 1# boxes of HSIII or Quick-set.  Sure my coupon got that down to $18, but I got used to getting it for $14.99 at the old store.  The old store is also a little closer - but I'll have to call and be SURE they have the product I need before I make that crazy drive.

I also picked up something Testors has out on the trail aisle - "Weathering Markers."  A card of 3 1/3-oz paint-pens for $7.99 in a variety of colors, including "Aged Concrete," "Mud," "Grime," "Rail Brown," "Rail Tie Brown," "Rust," and three others.  I figured I would get the "Earth Colors" set and see what they were all about.  Maybe write up a product review with pics.  Again, with a 40% Off coupon, I got them for under $5.

I passed on plastic this time, as I still have PLENTY of the Smooth-On 322 and a usable amount of Alumilite.  The most needful thing was the silicone for making the durn molds!!  Beyond the folks here at the 'Yards who have expressed interest in my parts, I've picked up another person interested in seeing what stuff I turn out.  So, making good molds, more molds, and beating the air-bubble problem is of primary concern!!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
Let us know how those weathering paint pens work out, doc. i have seen em but haven't tried em.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 03:31:41 AM »
Sounds like there is some major cloning getting ready to happen. Cool deal on those pens, might make weathering a snap for you guys.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Well, I done gone and done it.  I made a two-piece mold!  I've even made the first pull!!  I hear ya already, back there in the back, screaming, "PICS!!  PICS!!"  Those are for tomorrow, I guarantee, because I took a LOT of them!  The first one was made from HSIII and the second, partway thru its pouring & curing cycle now, is made from Quick-Set.  The first pull was not perfect, by any means, but it was not a disaster!  The second mold is incorporating at least one "lessons learned" as suggested by my wonderful Rebe.  I'm letting the superglue set on her idea and will be pouring up the second half shortly.

BTW - Quickset WILL stick to PVC pipe, no matter what people say about silicones not sticking to anything.  The HSIII did not, but by golly the Quickset sure has!