Author Topic: leg-swaps on RoC Joes??  (Read 4173 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
leg-swaps on RoC Joes??
« on: September 18, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Ok, I wanna perform a leg-swap on a pair of Joes.  What's the best way to go about it?  I know they are constructed differently than the SW figs, so I assume I need a different technique.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: leg-swaps on RoC Joes??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
howdy doc, I'm gonna try to help you out here...

MOST joes have a standard construction style.  Eventually (maybe today since I don't have much to do) I'm going to post a deconstruction tutorial for you guys regarding this stuff...

You will need a set of small "eyeglass repair kit" screwdrivers, both flat heads and philips.

ya know what doc... I tried typing up a tutorial and it's realy hard to put into words, I'm going to go take a video of the process and post that to my youtube...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
Excellent!!  That would be most wonderful.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
Doc... i videotaped me taking a fig apart... well my youngest did the video work... and after reviewing the video it's going to take alot of editing to make it look right! lol.. let me have about a day or two to work out the details in the vid and I'll get it posted.  Hope your not waiting on putting anything important together..

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
Only the Imperial constable whose office is on Outland Station...   ;D  Heh, take what time ya need - I'm not in a rush yet.   8)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
alright doc finally got it finished for you... hope you can understand this and it makes sense

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
Watched up thru the change from the legs discussion to torso - waiting on the vid to finish loading.

DUDE!!!  That is AWESOME!!  VERY clear and easy to understand!  If that segment were all there was in existance, you've done a fabulous service - but there's MORE!!!!!

*peeks at youtube window*

Gotta go - more has loaded...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »
lol tell me if it helps when you start doing yours...

now something I didn't go into because I figured you'd already know how to do is taking the fugure's elbows, wrists and ankles apart.  That is the standard boil and pop... almost exactly the same style joints as in star wars figs.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
Holy sweetness dude!!  Now, I rated and commented on Youtube, but it bears repeating here:

Thanks for a *very* well-done tutorial! I haven't done any customizing with Joe figures yet, partly because I wasn't sure how they were put together. Now that you have walked us through the disassembly process, I feel FAR more confident in my ability to tackle some Joes! (kudos to your cameraman as? well! That was a job well done!)

And yeah, you'd told me in chat that the arms were pretty well identical below the shoulders.  That opens up SO MUCH more fodder!  We need to do some comparisons between product-lines for customizers (like me) who haven't tapped into the potential of 25th and RoC Joes.  Help us see what we need to consider before blithely laying waste to a buncha Joes and SW figs.

I bet your Joe/SW splicing thread would look good in video, too... eventually...   ;D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I know photography work is time-consuming, and I expect video even moreso.  You've done a fantastic job - and a *great* service - with this one.  Now I can schedule a couple of ladies down at the chop-shop...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
man your going to have to wait two weeks before I do any more... probably 3.  Dealing with this move and crap all my stuff is going into boxes tonight and tomorrow and won't get unpacked probably for 2 weeks... :( 

I'm glad that was helpful... just be careful with that exacto knife!  don't know how many times I've cut myself doing that exact procedure...  a sharp fresh blade is the best way to do it.  dull ones tend to snap off inside the torso... that is a B#$%@ to figure out what to do then... lol

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
Hey, the ability to leg-swap puts me lightyears (or parsecs!) ahead of where I was this morning!!  Hope the move and everything goes smoothly so you can get back into the groove of customs quickly!  In the meantime, we'll try to keep you entertained with our projects.   ;)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »
Devin, that video tutorial of yours was just awesome buddy!!  You make it look easy with your experienced joe disassembling hands. I took this one to the front page, Sir!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »
And WELL-deserved, I'd add!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
lol thanks clint... I was surprised at just how quickly I broke that figure down... I'd had it done faster if that chest wasn't so stubborn!  I honestly don't know how many joes I've taken appart now! too many to count...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 07:02:42 AM »
Someone on RS was asking about Joe arms... I gave them the link to your vid.