Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42426 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Hunting
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
MAN, 12"!!!  I'm not looking forward to that kind of snow by any means, though from what the Almanacs and "weather experts" keep saying, it's supposed to be a VERY cold winter with LOTS of snow....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
It looks like this winter might get us.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »
Wait a minute, I thought global warming was here?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2008, 04:10:26 AM »
Wait a minute, I thought global warming was here?

LOL! You sure wouldn't know it by the temperature I have outside my house this morning! We even have enough snow to have a two hour delay to work this morning. I just hope my poor little portable hunting blind is ok. I have these visions of two foot of snow on top of it and am not feeling too good it will be in one piece when I get back to it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »
Well it is the day before I leave for hunting camp and I am kinda wishing I wasn't going. It has become an annual ritual, but my little girl is in her later twos now and I think staying home for a week with her might be a bit funer than spending long hours in a cold blind, but I have made promises to friends I haven't seen in years so I will go. The weather outlook is looking miserable so I am at least glad I put my blind up this past weekend. My attitude will probably mean I will shoot the biggest deer of my life as I really don't care if I even see a deer at this point. I am going up to be social. I am coming back one day earlier though to get ready for Thanksgiving and help my little girl get the tree. She has already informed us that the opening of presents will happen after I get the tree out of the box!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »
Good luck on your hunting trip my friend. Man, it's going to be hard for that little one to wait for the opening.
  I believe that we are schedualed to set up our tree this weekend.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 04:12:12 AM »
Thanks Clint. And yes, it is gonna be hard to let her wait. We might have to get her a small thing or two just to make sure she remembers how to unwrap presents before the big day.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »
Well no luck yet guys. I haven't seen anything bigger than a six point. Still, I haven't had much time to hunt as a major blizzard hit our deer camp. I haven't driven in such horrible conditions in years. I can't count the number of vehicles that I had to pull out of drifts or ditches. I am thoroughly impressed with my new tacoma. It is an absolute beast in the snow.

Back on the hunting front I am now gearing up for the first day of the season in MD. This was the state I got the bigger one in muzzleloader season and even bigger buck sighting are being reported. I am having my brother down to hunt a day and then we make our foray into MD. We even get to hunt on Sunday this year. I may not hunt the whole day as it looks like more snow and I can't stand another episode like I have the fast few days. I am telling you, and this is not lie, the snow and ice and conditions were so bad I could not get out to hunt from Monday afternoon till early this morning. Here at my house the sun was out and it was around 38 degrees. I just couldn't believe to change in conditions from only about two hours away from home. I should have taken some pictures!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
Well I still haven't found one I want to shoot. I came out of the woods even though I could have hunted today as we have a forecast of snow and ice. I don't want to have to do that again since my stint earlier in the week. I am seeing some good buck sign at the house so if they haven't gone completely nocturnal I may yet fill my tag.

Speaking of filling tags, my brother was down to my house and left with a buck Friday afternoon. It was a three point. He just likes to shoot. He did put a good shot on this one though. Then, I took him up with me to MD the next day and let him sit in my spot and he shot a six point. I took pictures of both and will post em later this week. The six point was a young buck and would have been nice in a few years if he had been passed. Still, I don't begrudge my brother the buck as he hasn't really harvested that many. I think that will be the last time this year I let him shoot anyting smaller though. It was nice to see him get excited though. It was also nice to not have to go on a major tracking expedition like I did for him last year though.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
Well still no signs of the big boy that is tearing up all my saplings and shruberry. I noticed my lilac bush is about broke off thanks to the buck that is decimating it. It is only firearm doe season now, but muzzleloader season comes in next Monday so we will see if he sticks around. I am seeing does and fawns and small bucks but nothing I would say is the "vandal" as I have dubbed this buck. I guess I may just wait until xmas break to shoot the cannon as they bring doe season back in and I have lots of time to process the game then. Its about time for more jerky. I had some deer bologne made it turned out pretty good, put some hot pepperjack cheese in it and boy did that give it some bite.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 07:36:02 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
The "vandal" LOL! You are gonna get him buddy. I'm sure of it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »
The "vandal" LOL! You are gonna get him buddy. I'm sure of it.

I am thinking he may be coming in after dark so I may not, but with the post rut happening anything is possible. I need to get my pics up of the two bucks my brother shot out of my spots.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
Well, I am officially done deer hunting for the year. The past three days have been muzzleloader season and man did I have a blast. Deer drives are sure fun when they work right!

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
You didn't say if you got a deer or not.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
You didn't say if you got a deer or not.

Two as a matter of fact. I made some of my best shots ever. The first was while doing the very first deer drive. My buddy had just shot at it through some brush and it ran out about 150 yards and looked back. The only opening I had was a small break between two trees through which I could see its' front shoulder. I shot and it dropped.

The second was a luck shot after another buddy gutshot it on a deer drive. We tracked it for over two hours in the snow and he kept jumping it up and it was so thick we never get a good shot. Finally he decided to go out ahead and try and circle around while I stayed on the track. As soon as he did that it went the exact opposite direction on him. I saw it laying down after about another ten minutes of tracking, but it was about eighty yards through the brush. I radioed him and he was circling around on it when it got up to run again. All I could see was its' head. That was enough after the smoke cleared.  So, really only one as I gave my buddy the one we tracked for two hours. Needless to say I was bushed after those few days. I put a lot of miles on my boots, but it was fun and good exercise.