Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42426 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hunting
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »
Nice one Tamer! Is that a white tail or a muley?

Whitetail Clint. One of the bigger ones I have harvested over the years.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »
Nice, buck there Shawn!  I think I'd wet myself if I saw one like that come by me hunting.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »
Nice, buck there Shawn!  I think I'd wet myself if I saw one like that come by me hunting.

LOL! He did get my blood pumping a bit there as I saw him at the end of the day and he looked bigger. His horns shrank a bit when I got up to him, I would have sworn he was Monster Buck before I actually ground checked him. Still, a nice buck, and I am tickled. I am gonna be serving some tenderloin for dinner this evening, Parmesean style.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2008, 03:46:36 AM »
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »
Well my turkey hunting was a bust.  Went out sat morning didn't see anything.  The brother in law heard them about 100 yds behind him on someone elses property.  Went back out in the evening and the only thing I saw was a cat.  So it seemed as though the birds had moved off the property, so we didn't even bother to go out on sunday.  Will try and hunt the spring season os at least I can call and decoy them.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 06:21:35 AM »
I only chase em doing Spring. There is nothing like getting the ole gobbler to committ and come in. If you hunt em in the Spring I bet you will get hooked like I am! Keep us updated on your pursuits! I love reading about someone else's hunts.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »
Well I went out bowhunting last night in the midst of a two day rifle season for does in my home county. I did see a few deer for all the gunshots. I keep seeing little bucks and mostly does and yearlings, but feel sooner or later one of those big boys will be stirring. I haven't seen much rubbing or any scrapes here yet, but might take a walk into the woods a bit deeper today if I can get all my outside chores done I have planned. I may as well go sit in the blind for a bit this morning since I am up so early. I am having a heck of a time sleeping lately. Oh well, guess it gives me a good excuse to be on morning hunts!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
Well I didn't see much that morning. I think it is still a bit too warm yet for the rut to be kicking in. I am hearing  mixed reports of bucks sparring, but I haven't yet seen any real nice ones running does. I am gonna let my boss come try his luck again this evening. We will see if he can hit one tonight. I told him this was his last week as I let the property sit a few weeks before the rifle season opener comes in. I guess Chad is getting ready for his rifle season.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »
Well, got back from opening weekend hunting and it wasn't anything to have a party over.  We did get a dusting of snow, so that helped seeing into the woods.  Sat morning picked our spots to sit and didn't see squat.  Decided to take a drive through the woods and found out they had logged out a huge track of our woods.  So that would explain the lack of deer.  With the rain we had the prior 2 days, it made that area of the woods real dicey trying to drive the logging road.  Old Willie made it through, but down the road it was closed off, so I had to turn around and go through it again.  Really was surprised we made it though it.  We picked a different spot to sit for the night watching a logging road in hopes of deer crossing it.  At around ten to five a doe walked onto the road about 150-200 yards down the road, pulled up and shot.  Then another jumped out, but didn't have a spot at that one.  Went down to the area where I shot and can't find any blood, the way the deer reacted I was sure I hit it.  So I'm looking around for sign and Dad comes to help, seen where she was standing and followed the tracks into the woods and found her.  I ended up shooting her through both front legs and the heart, why there was no blood is beyond me.  She was a very nice size doe.  Field dressed her and got back to camp.  Sun morning went back to the same spot and nothing.  Went back in the evening and about the same time and place a deer walks out.  I had moved closer this night to the area where I figured they would come out, so I wouldn't have to take a long shot.  Well that part worked, but I pulled up and shot and missed, I really don't know how that happened but it did.  I figured it was the does fawn from last night and I also figured that I shot through some branches and it deflected the round.  I was worried about that prior to shooting and I don't know why I just didn't stand up to shoot.  This morning we didn't see anything.  We dropped the doe off at our processor and he said he hasn't seen a doe that big in years and he figured she was around 200 lbs dressed.  Well I knew it was a mature doe, but that weight might be pushing it, I was thinking around 170.  And sorry I didn't take a pic of it, just didn't think she was that big.  This coming weekend will be hunting around home, now that the state lets us hunt the whole stae now.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
Well I am glad to hear your hunt was succesfull. Man I have never seen a doe that big, would have loved to have seen a pic of her.  Glad to hear your season isn't over too! I am heading up to check out a new rifle spot this weekend after working on a hunting  buggy. It is almost time for my rifle season to start too. I did see about 7 small bucks in my yard last night, but nothing to write home about. I am betting a big  boy is around though, a bunch of the small bucks had their horns broken totally off.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
Man if you got that many small ones with broken atlers off, I sure would be nice to see the dominate buck.  Seems like he is keeping the smaller ones in line.  Forgot to say when I dropped off the doe I saw a huge 12 point someone had shot.  The rack was huge wide and tall, but the body maybe went 150# dressed, it was kind of odd looking.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
sounds like all the growing went into its' antlers. I would like to have seen that dude. That nine I got this year is the most points I have on the wall so far. We are hearing rumors of some nice ones up at our camp though. The last couple of years they have instituted a "racked" buck rule so no spikes or small bucks get shot. I am anxious to see if it is gonna work. This is around 8,000 plus acres so if even a few of em survive to reach adulthood we should start seeing some major progress here in a few years.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »
Well I did some local deer hunting fri evening and saturday.  Friday saw a buck bedded down in some brush about 50 yards away.  Well I passed up about 5 does that evening waiting for him to get up.  If he did, I did see him.  Saturday moring shot at a doe and missed saw a total of 3.  Sat evening saw one doe that snuck by me and got no shot.  This was my first time shooting a shotgun with slugs, will have to say I like my rifle better.  For next year will invest in a slug barrel and scope for my shotgun.  Not going out today, got family stuff to do.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
I think they are making some really good rifled slug barrels now that really have some good range. Glad to see you are out and about, wish you would have been able to connect on that buck! I brushed in a blind on a new hunting spot up at camp this weekend. I shot my deer rifles today and it is always the same. The one I never have to shot more than once, the other I have to shoot quite a few times to get it right where I want it. The bad thing is the second gun is the more expensive set up. Still, I feel pretty good about my shooting. I was doing this without very good of a rest to get out of the wind a bit and between waiting for the wind to die off and me shaking I shot ok.  I guess we will see if I get to pull the trigger week after next. Keep after em Chad!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »
the forecast is for about twelve inches of snow the next few days. Looks like snow for opening day! I just hope we don't get more, I might not make it in or back from camp!