Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42426 times)

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
Re: Hunting
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »
Shawn, what brand is it and how old is it?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
Shawn, what brand is it and how old is it?

It is an Alpine turbo extreme. Its probably about nine years old. I love it as I am so used to it. I will hate loosing it if it can't be fixed. Hopefully I have good news to report next week some time.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
Looks like there is good news on the bow front. I just called the bow shop and it looks like the younger fellow was able to put a new cable guard on it. I am anxious to shoot it now to make sure everything is sympatico. The great thing is this is only a $15 dollar fix if it works.  There are bucks at the feeder this evening. Maybe I will get to try a few arrow launches at em after all.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »
See Shawn, everything works out in the end.  Simple problem fixed and now your back in the driver's seat!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
I will try to get some shots of how I shoot the next couple of days.  Doubt I will have time to do more than pick it up tomorrow.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
and only 15 bucks too!..great !

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
well I got my bow back and it works with a slight new noise due to a new cable guard, but it might shoot out I hope. Bad thing was I spent about two hours yesterday evening readjusting my sights only to have a screw strip out on me as I was doing the final tweaking. Now I have to get new sights the week before the season opener!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
My compound bow saga continues;

got my bow back from the pro shop and shot it a few times only to strip the elevation screw so I had to get a new set of sights. Well I got my new sights on last night and shot it three times and the cable guard broke again. So much for the new guy fixing my bow. I also took a look at the one arrow I bought and noticed he inserted an insert that was too big and now the carbon arrow is splitting at the insert so I am gonna have to take my bow and my arrow back to get one, the bow fixed and two, a replacement arrow. I knew better than to trust a kid, but he seemed to think he could fix my bow. The owner is the best, but he is hard to get. I should have waited. Now I have to try and get a hold of him so I can hopefully get my bow fixed.  The bummer is the season starts Monday and I won't have a working bow. Oh well, they say patience is a virtue. I am slowly getting my wife used to the idea that I am probably gonna need a new bow next year. I hate to get a new one, but this cable guard thing is starting to drive me crazy. Hopefully I will have better news to report in a few days. Oh, I saw two really nice bucks down at my feeder this morning munching on apples. I sure hope they stick around so I can try and stick one!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »
if you were to look at a new bow, what would you go for?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:47 AM »
if you were to look at a new bow, what would you go for?

I am thinking low end five hundred bucks Greg. A high end bow like Matthews would be near seven hundred to a thousand dollars properly equipped. Thats the bad thing with a bow, you just can't buy it. You need a rest, sights, peep for the string, arrows, overdraw if the bow will accept one. It adds up quick.

On that note I called the owner of the bow shop last night and actually got to talk to him. He was very nice and is willing to take a look at my bow pronto so I can go hunt MD. He was very critical of his helper's performance and made sure he knew which one it was. I think he is the one who is supposed to do the real bow work.  At least I don't have to fight that battle now. I just hope he can fix my bow. I am gonna promise to buy a new one from him next year if he can make my old one work for this year.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
well my bow is supposed to be fixed. Round number two tonight!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 02:31:39 AM »
hope it goes ok mate...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 05:28:51 AM »
hope it goes ok mate...

Well the good news is I can shoot it now. The bad news is the new cable guard is so close to the string that sometimes when I shoot it the string goes on the right side of said cable guard cause it is so close. I think I am gonna try to shoot one with it as I am seeing so many good bucks now and the season is in and then go back to the store I got it from even though it is farther away and see if I can get the owner there to fix it. At this point I am trying to get my wife used to the idea of me buying a new set up for next year. I don't know how succesful I am being! :'(

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 07:21:42 AM »
Well the first harvest of the season was a groundhog who had been tearing up my yard. Lets just say I have more confidence in my bow after putting an arrow in him at over 30 yards!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
Well guys I have been out twice now and haven't seen any of those nice bucks I had been reporting on earlier. It seems everyone sees em everyday when I am not in the woods. I can't complain too much, my hunting time seems to get less and less each year. I have passed up at least three small scrubby bucks each time I hunted. Still, as we had our first chill of Fall, I might put the hammer down on something the next couple weeks. I need some fresh venison in the house. Early muzzleloader season begins in about two weeks and I will be taking the smoke pole out for a bit too.