Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 37082 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
Wow, we are seeing some cool stuff. What line is that vehicle from, Hanns? I kind of recognize it but think that I am wrong?

Yours is looking pretty cool as well, Phil. Was that a mole pod?

Offline beast from the east

• Lieutenant
  • I am Merman
    • My websites
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Its from the Rise of Cobra GI JOE LINE.
Its called Mole pod and there are repaints of it as well called lava Pod and a mole pod with different colors that came with attack on the Pit set.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
It looks like an escape pod to me, but with missile launchers on it.

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »
it's an old bakugan wrist cannon
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »
Hans, nice job! Great idea for that thing! I have one too and have never figured out what to do with it.

Beast, Tom is right, it looks like a great armed escape shuttle/pod. It would be cool to add a nose cone to the front so it isn't as stubby.

Ghost, I don't have the rig or the big AT-AT  but I but I bet it would fit in there.

Spud, thanks! When I started on the front with the red paint the transition to black looked cool so I went with it. Then I dry brushed it with silver.

Thanks Tamer, I think it came from a Ep 2 Jedi as a force effect and I have a small 3 led light under it.

Tom, glad you like the set up and yes, he is a bossy rough rider. Ride or Die!

Art, so true. Bang your head! metal health will drive you mad! Bang your head!

Clint, thanks man. He is basicly a swoop racer. I ade him from the Dr. Lewis figure, Devarian head, I think Red Ninja gloves and strapping.

Thanks Rich.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
Made some progress on the AT-ST Crawler. I'll just list the paint I used.
Rust, Charcoal, Desert Sand, Flat Black, Dark Brown, and Aluminum. Some were washes some were dry brushing.

Offline beast from the east

• Lieutenant
  • I am Merman
    • My websites
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 08:26:45 PM »
Cool HISS tracks on an AT ST

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
continued....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
Wow Tom, the weathering on your crawler turned out magnificent! That thing is really looking good!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
that at-st crawler is so freaking cool I might have to copy it myself if I ever come across the parts to do it!  so cool.  The paint weathering blends it all together very nicely.

The mole pod project looks good, I ALMOST picked one up today on clearance for this project, I didn't know the drill could be removed!  It looks like a small armored escape pod to me!  I like where it's headed.

all the entries look good.  I started working on mine.  Decided to go an entirely different direction and try something different.  I might go back to my original idea if I find the parts to do it but for now I've got another plan....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:49 AM »
(MODIFICATION ALERT:  THIS IS JUST A WIP SESSION OF PHOTOS....  I HAVE CHANGED SOME OF THIS SLIGHTLY AND WILL BE RE-POSTING IMAGES SOON THAT WILL BE MY OFFICIAL ENTRY... my bad for jumping the gun! :/ doh! should have known I'd need to change SOMETHING!)

MR-UT

Multi-Role Utility Transport

The MR-UT is not so much a transport as it is a glorified fork-lift.  Similar in design to most republic walkers the MR-UT is bi-pedal.  However, unlike other walker designs the unit incorporates two forward facing arms.

These arms are equipped with a set of hands which mimic the human hand in dexterity, this allows the vehicle to be used in a multitude of ways.  

The unit has a sophisticated gyroscopic stabilizing system which automatically compensates for any load which it is lifting and any shift in the driver's weight or position.  

due to it's similarity to the AT-RT in size and mechanics Clone soldiers trained in piloting the AT-RT are able to pick up the Loader's controls easily.

Commonly the MR-UT is used for loading munitions and supplies into transports, but can be modified for combat if the need arises.  
However, the MR-UT is built for brute strength, not speed.  Nor is it designed to withstand weapons fire as it has no armor what-so-ever.  

The MR-UT has the unique ability to fold up into a storage configuration, making it much smaller.  This allows the MR-UT to be transported easily to new staging grounds or from hangar to hangar.  Once in the storage configuration the unit takes up less space than the typical speeder bike.

I was going to take photos of this thing transformed into "storage mode" but my camera battery died.  I'll get some uploaded in the morning.  

to construct this monstrosity I used parts from a 1:18th scale motorcycle and the rest is made from a transformer tank.   I took the tank completely apart and then pulled off everything except the arms and legs.  The legs still retain their basic "transforming" process and this is what I used to fold them up to get the vehicle into a smaller size.

when I think of the classic mini-rigs I think of those vehicles that were so ridiculous they didn't even look practical...  I wanted to make something that was small enough to fit well within the size restriction of the contest but also would be similar in size to the original mini-rigs.   I also wanted it to look totally absurd, and untraditional.  I think I achieved that look without going TOO far into the absurd!  

Like I said, I'll have some more photos in the morning when the battery for my camera charges back up.  Let me know what you guys think of it!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:30:57 PM by spudafett »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:42 AM »
Tom your AT-ST Crawler is sooooo awesome! It has such a great look it really doesn't require too many mods to it. Your weathering is perfect! Very well done and I like the range of colors you used to weather it.  Awesome work man!

Spud that is one wild creation, just like the mini rigs of old. Very interesting custom and great use of parts. Can we expect a pic of it folded up?

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
Woah... I love that MR-UT!!! I gota make one of those for my son... Maybe one for the Waxer he just got.

I had all these lil' vehicle fodders down in the basement with ideas running through my lil' brain and then my batteries died. So no pics for any of you, lol. I have 3-4 ideas, just  trying to decide on which one to enter. I'll post pics of all my ideas just to S&Gs

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Spud, that is definitely wicked!  I see I have a lot of work ahead of me if I want any hope of even competing!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
Geez, there are some great looking vehicles here!  Ok, they are *all* great-looking, actually.  I've started pulling out parts for mine, in and around trying to get my workshop areas cleaned up (one area for building/painting, one for casting - or at least that's the plan).