Imperial Review > Action Figures

Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper 3.75" Movie Heroes 2012 Class I Vehicle Asst.

(1/2) > >>

Darth More:
- Hasbro
-- STAR WARS
--- 3.75 inch
---- Movie Heroes 2012
----- Class I Fleet Vehicles
------ Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper

A review from a customizer's perspective

"A picture tells more than a thousand words!" This review provides you over 70 pictures of this set and compares it to previous releases. I reduced the text between the pictures here for better structure. You can read my detailed comment on each part of the set at the end of this review.
I'm thankful for any recommendations to improve my reviews. So feel free to let me know what you think!

For better reading and/or page load/visual experience, you can load this site on your smartphone. You can enlarge pictures here better and if your browser on your computer has trouble loading this site, the mobile device might be the best solution here.

Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper
STAR WARS - Movie Heroes 2012

Manufacturer: Hasbro, Inc.
Series: Movie Heroes [Darth Maul Design] (Toys "R" Us Exclusive)
Year: 2012
Retail: $24.99
Source: Return of the Jedi
Date Stamp: 2012
Item Number: # A0023
UPC Number: 6 53569 75854 9

Weapons and Accessories:
Scout Trooper action figure
Tripod Laser Cannon (6 pieces)
2x Scout Trooper Blaster
Display Stand (2 pieces)

Features:

Speeder Bike

Opening hood
2 movable hatches at the back
Rotating Primary Cannon

Tripod Laser Cannon

Foldable Legs
Rotating Cannon (up & down)
6 pieces

Packaging

Since I got this set used & loose I have to borrow the picture of a new set from rebelscum.com:

I do not own this image. All rights & properties belong to rebelscum.com
Source/URL: http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro_Star_Wars/Speeder_Bike_With_Scout_Trooper_2012_Star_Wars_Hasbro/IMAGE44.asp

This is actually my favorite quote and detail on this box!

"Biker scouts patrol Endor on speeder bikes. The scouts look for Rebel incursions as they navigate swiftly through the dense forests. To provide the scouts with heavy-duty firepower, some bikes have blaster cannons that can be removed to create free-standing weapon emplacements."

Content:

Speeder Bike:

The 74-Z speeder bike was a model of speeder bike which saw service during the Clone Wars and then later used by the Galactic Empire in combat, and for reconnaissance purposes during the Galactic Civil War. They were usually piloted by scout troopers and were able to jam comlinks. The 74-Z speeder bikes had the machinery that the Empire thought was unnecessary stripped off to maximize speed.- Canon. Read on here:
Source: Wookieepedia, The Star Wars Wiki
URL: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/74-Z_speeder_bike

Display Stand:

You can even

Scout Trooper:

Comparison:

Tripod Laser Cannon:

Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper:

Comparison:

...to the Power of the Force release:

...to The Black Series 1/12 scale release:

Comment:

I found this set on ebay and got it for 27€ + 5€ shipping. 32€ shipped is a fantastic price here in Germany! They're sold for about 40-50€ loose and 60-70€ MISB here. There is a current offer on ebay.com for $119.99. I doubt someone is willing to pay that! For a MRSP of $24.99 back in 2012 this was totally worth it! So if you saw it on shelves back then, I really hope you picked one up! I've always been looking for one of those and by accident I found it, finally! And I'm extremely happy with this one. Here's why:

Speeder Bike

The Speeder Bike is an all-new vehicle. And it's magnificent in every way! Not only is it the first complete update since its original Kenner release, but Hasbro have put much attention to detail and accuracy in this small vehicle. Pictures tell more than I could explain here. I mean. look at the detail underneath the hood!
They left out play features here and added more details instead to make a most screen-accurate & exciting design.

Scale: So to my surprise there are three different lengths of the 74-Z Speeder Bike found in the LEGENDS article on Wookiepedia. There might be a reason why many measurements are legends now and don't count to official data anymore. Personally, I find many of them a little off, too.
So according to this article, the length of this vehicle was either 3 meters, 4.4 meters or even 4.9 meters! Now, according to the most recent book of "Complete Vehicles: Incredible Cross-Sections" by DK from 2013, the length of 3 meters is correct. And I am VERY happy with that! With a length of 18.3 cm Hasbro's new version would be 3.29 in 1:1 scale. So it is in 1/18 scale and I couldn't be happier about it! They have done an excellent job on this update and I hope they will re-release this masterpiece many times more!

Display Stand

does both: makes it a high quality collectible AND adds to play value
fantastic design, Black Series stand is even more brilliant

Scout Trooper

The Scout Trooper included in this set is based on the Biker Scout of the 30th Anniversary Collection (TAC) from 2007. Hasbro added a ball-joint to the figure's neck and updated the hips. In order to add two ball-hinged hips, they also needed to design the pelvis more narrow as you can see in the pictues above. The added articulation to this already super-articulated Scout is a nice addition. And if Hasbro had retooled the more detailed TAC helmet and didn't do a sloppy paint job, this Scout Trooper would definitely qualify for a Vintage Collection release!
I still like the sculpt of the Movie Heroes helmet. The TAC version looks better, though, but that's just my opinion. The good news is: whenever you're not quite happy with your paintjob, just look at the paint apps on this figure and you'll feel better!
I just wish they didn't use black joints for the shoulders' ball-hinges...white would look much better and more accurate.
Pros: ball-jointed head & ball-hinged hips are nice features, add range of head's articulation
Cons: sloppy paint apps & black joints in the shoulders
Points of Interest: For some reason there are two blaster pistols included with this set. It is an updated version with sharper textures and "B3" imprinted in the mold. Since I got this set used I only received one of them.

Tripod Laser Cannon // E-Web Blaster Cannon

Another new and amazing accessory is the Tripod Laser Cannon. I don't know the correct name of it nor do I know where it appears in the Star Wars universe. If you know, please let me know in the comments below! Is it a smaller version of the E-Web heavy repeating blaster cannon?
In any way Hasbro did a beautiful design on it! The fact that you can attach it to the speeder is most remarkable! My favorite quote on the packaging is: "Customize Speeder Bike with detachable cannon!"
I like how Hasbro lets us customize our Star Wars vehicles and figures!
To attach the cannon to the vehicle you have to take it apart completely. It's built of 6 pieces and it reminds me just a liiiiiittle bit of playmobil (my favorite toy brand). This cannon is a beautiful addition to your accessory collection in 3 3/4 scale and will armor up your Imperial army!
Let's hope Hasbro will give us a second chance to get it down the road...

Here is a chart of the Imperial weaponary for reference:

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to source:
Source: indiedb.com
URL: https://www.indiedb.com/games/star-wars-a-galactic-civil-war/images/imperial-handheld-blaster-weaponry

Here's reference to another cannon of the Galactic Emprie: The Ma-12 emplacement laser cannon

I do not own this image. All rights reserved to source:
Source: ftoishima.fandom.com
URL: https://ftoishima.fandom.com/wiki/Ma-12_emplacement_laser_cannon

Packaging Design

The design of the packaging for this set is as remarkable as its content! But it's also an oddball!
This set was released as part of the Movie Heroes line in Darth Maul design. But Darth Maul is missing on the box. Since it's a vehicle of the original trilogy, I'm sure most collectors are even happy about this fact. More on that down below.
The box is beautiful. You can see that Hasbro put as much effort into the packaging design as they did on the actual product. The size of the box reminds me of the good old battle packs (which I really miss!). The blister and the image of the Scout Trooper cut onto the window frame looks beautiful! Also the background printed on the inlet looks amazing and conveys the feeling of Endor. The box is big, but not oversized for its content (like all the LEGO sets!). It makes the product feel valuable and worth the $24.99. Hasbro also designed the back of the box with nice features and details about the Speeder Bike. They saved an extra sheet for instructions by adding the details on how to assemble the cannon to the bottom of the box. Efficient! If you don't want to keep the packaging you can still cut out the instructions. I'll definitely keep mine. Well done Hasbro!

Rating: 10/10

The Legacy of The Vintage Collection?

- date stamp and year of release right afte the end of The Vintage Collection
- amount of accessories and level of detail is very good!
- design & quality comparable to TVC
- very excited for possible info in Derryl's new book! confirmation of this thesis?
- evidence(?): odd choice between all the other releases of this Class I vehicle assortment
- packaging design - how would a TVC release have looked like? Your ideas!

See also:

A very professional review in the popular Photo Archive of rebelscum.com by legendary D. Martin Myatt:

http://www.rebelscum.com/Speeder_Bike_With_Scout_Trooper_2012_Star_Wars_Hasbro.asp

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or recommendations to improve this review, please let me know!

- Philipp

JDeck:
I bought one last year for my birthday. I think it's really cool. I love the operable hood to expose the engine, and the mini E-WEB that you can attach to it. That's just fantastic, so many diorama options. I'd get another one if they weren't so expensive.
 I noticed the First Order Speederbike utilizes the basic Speederbike but with different front end a slightly different sculpt on the rear and handlebars for straight arms figures. It has the operable hood and the connection on the back for the stand, even though there's no stand to go with it. I hope Hasbro rereleases it for TVC, but I doubt they'd include the E-WEB if they did. 

Tamer:
I remember this one. Wow, still on edit, but already awesome. Off to share.

FialaFernbrugg:
WOW
Another incredibly detailed review.
This version of the 74Z Speeder bike is definitely a huge improvement to the older version.
I like the removable laser canon, the engine details and the clever designed display stand.
Thank you very much for all the information and the high quality photos.
Your reviews never fail to impress.

Darth More:
@JDeck: I agree, this was such an amazing set and I hope Hasbro will re-issue this beauty in The Vintage Collection in the next couple years. And you're right. Hasbro utilized this Speeder's mold for their TFA Elite Speeder! Fingers crossed for the E-Web as well.
Thanks for commenting!

@Tamer: Thanks for sharing and sorry for my delayed reply.

@FialaFernbrugg: You're very welcome my friend! Thanks for coming by and checking out my reviews!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version