Author Topic: Hangarbay 94's Resource Emporium  (Read 10928 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Hangarbay 94's Resource Emporium
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

Hi folks,

Yes, it's another Hangarbay94 post. This is where I'll post decal sheets images and links to items that should inspire your creative juices.

Please feel free to post your own images and stuff here that you would like to share with the community.

I hope you enjoy...

Jules

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:21:05 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
Re: Hangarbay 94's Diorama Resource Shack
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
My first offering is a selection of Wall Decal Sheets that I've been using to create different sets for the Darkchild Photonovel.

I'll be adding more decals to this set over the coming weeks.

Here is the link to the set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/sets/72157622123586494/

You may need to re-size the images using either a photo editing package or you could simply paste the images onto a Word document. I use A4 sticker paper (one sticker per sheet) that can be purchased at any office supply retailer. Make sure that you re-size the image so that it fits correctly onto an A4 sized sheet, pop the sticker sheets  into your printer and away you go. I then apply the decals onto mount board or foamcore.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:23:05 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
Re: Hangarbay 94's Diorama Resource Shack
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »
My next offering (and this will be the last for this week) is the Decal set used to build my Yavin Base playset.

You'll find all the decals needed to create a really fun set for the kids, and the bonus, it's flat pack. I used Duck Tape to fix the panels so that the walls simply fold together. The floor is a seperate piece in 2 halves, again duck taped at the back so that it can fold in half and be stored away when not in use.

ALl you need to create the playset is 3 large pieces of Mount Board, a sharp craft knife, a long metal ruler, a large cutting mat, scissors, duck tape or invisible tape, A4 sticker sheets and a enough ink in your printer. Once you have purchased the tools you can make more of these modular dioramas. I'll be posing more decal sheets that will allow you to build other playsets in due course.

Here is a link to the decal set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/sets/72157615692395496/

Here are my images of the Playset in action:

And here is and image showing 1/2 of the set (I decided to make it twice the size so that it would fit the Falcon as well....

Here it is all folded flat:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:41:59 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Hangarbay 94's Resource Emporium
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
Great thread, Jules! Thanks for posting those decals.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »

Hi folks and fellow Shipyarders, I hope you are all having a good day!

I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to build a simple Jedi Temple set for the photonovel and last night I finally cracked it. So rather than keep it to myself I have published the Decal sheets and have made a quick film showing you how I put it all together...simples!

So without further adoo, here is the link to the movie: http://www.youtube.com/user/hangarbay94

And here is the link to the decals: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/sets/72157622158115560/

If you have come here from Youtube, welcome...I would recommend anyone who is into Star Wars stuff to have a good look around this fantastic site, my favourite forums are the Customs and Diorama's.

I'll be posting more decal sheets as soon as the next chapter of Darkchild is released, maybe earlier, you'll just have to keep an eye out on this post.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:41:26 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline customclone

• 3rd scrap burners
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
sweet i like your custom shadow troopers ;D

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Just watched your youtube video.... WOW, dude, you're killing me with your photography and photoshop skills.  This is the best work I've seen yet.  You really have an incredible eye for lighting scenes and choosing angles.  I am totally impressed!

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »
I would like to say once again, really excellent job, and thanks for sharing this with us.

Offline customclone

• 3rd scrap burners
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »
hey what paint do you use for customizeing clones i use testors paint

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:10:19 PM »
You make it look so *easy*!!  LOL  I'll be in the vicinity of a Hobby Lobby (coincidentally, in the same shopping center as an Office Depot) tomorrow, I may try and talk Rebe into scooting on into town for a quick shopping trip.

now - ya gotta do a tutorial on how to modify a great design ya find on the web!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »
Ok, Doc that sounds like a good idea...

I just need to find out how to record what's going on on screen while I'm working with Photoshop.

All the best,

Jules

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
Man, those decal images are awesome! I'm totally going to have to print those out for some dioramas, and now I know how to make my own diorama backgrounds, I was thinking I was going to have to sculpt / paint any that I wanted! This will be lots easier, thanks Jules!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 07:24:34 AM »
Oh yeah, front page bound on this one, I am so behind in my threads. This one just rocks. Thanks Jules for taking the time to do this! Man, if you do any of this via Youtube too post the links here and I will get those vids up fp as quick as I can.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »
Ok, I watched the video and loved the how to. Now I am full of questions for my desired motiff. If I may ask a few questions, and please disregard if no questions are alllowed here.

1. I am eager to know what type of printer you use? I would love to buy one now and experiment. I would love to buy at least the same brand you are using and would love for you to comment on the one you use.

2. Have you done any Winter environment scenes or any snow type applications? I am thinking of a Hoth environment with some ship type flooring and wall scenes and am wondering if you have seen anything like this?

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »
 Tamer, I love questions!

In answer to your first question about printers, I use an Epson All-in-One DX9400F. As I work from home a printer-Fax-Scanner combination suits me best, although I'm not sure if it's the best printer for the job.

It uses a 4-ink cartridge system so it can be very pricey printing off loads of decal sheets. I'd look at printer reviews for a combination of the best colour rendering versus cost per copy. I used to print the decals in the highest quality setting, now I have reverted to the standard setting, and I haven't really noticed a significant drop in quality but the print speed has increased massively and I use far less ink per copy.

The key to saving money is to print just what you need. I once built one of Niub Niubs Death Star's and had loads of wasteage, now I am far more careful.

Re the second question: It's funny that you should ask me about a Hoth Diorama because that was what got me into all this stuff right from the start. A couple of years ago I saw "The Professor's" hoth Diorama over at Yakface here is the link:  http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=589 . He used polystyrene packaging to build what I consider the best diorama ever created for Star Wars figures. It may not be the most accurate or technically challenging piece, but for sheer ingenuity and "I want one of those" factor, it wins hands down. I've never seen better.

Unfortunately I don't think it would be possible to recreate the Hoth setting using flat surfaces, snow and ice require texture and I wouldn't even attempt it with card or foamcore.

As a rule I make stuff that can be stored out of the way, all of my stuff folds flat and lives in the corner of my office now, a Hoth playset would demand a large space and so I would have to hand you over to The professor for inspiration.

I'd love to build a Hoth Set one day, but I'm having so much fun with my novel that I suspect you'll be seeing me here for many years to come doing much of the same stuff I'm doing now. A bit like those guys who, after 10 years are still working on stuff for X-Wing Alliance.

As always Tamer I am so grateful for the opportunity to display my work here and it is a total pleasure to be in everyone's company here. I am only too happy to answer any questions...

Jules

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:06:40 PM by hangarbay94 »