Author Topic: spudafett's casting table  (Read 20265 times)

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: spudafett's casting table
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
better idea guy strikes again...

They would be cool to do micro/action fleet/SW miniatures casts with a painted theme, like rogue squadron, something like that, :)

ok guys, I'm getting ready to buy new silicone, are we all agreed on alumilite hS3?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
Once you try it you will never turn back, Simon. For one piece molds like I make, it's the bomb.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
yeah I went strait for the HS3 and it's amazingly flexible!

I've got to go order some... I'll probably go on and order two bottles.

btw, idk why but it seems like I ran out of the hardener before I ran out of silicone?  did I use too much of part B when mixing each pour?  idk what happened.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
could be. Usually, I run out of the brown hardener first. Are you using the same cup to measure both and if so, which do you measure first. I always measure and pour the clear part first and as a result, possibly, the residual part of the clear that is lining the measuring cup after I pour it into the pot takes up that much room when measuring out the brown hardening half.  That would mean that if I measured the same amount each time and measured the clear part first, i would use less of the brown hardener. After 30-40 pours, it would make a difference.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »
same, actually, I think there is some loss in the bottle from evaporation.

I always blame evaporation. . .or condensation for all my problems.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »
I like to blame murphy for my problems... because when it rains... it comes a monsoon....

but the storm seems to be passing for me! yay!... now where are my drugs.....   ^-^

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
I just got a  great lot of random stuff from NFC in today for me to cast.
It's got some great star wars as well as joe helmets in there and a couple great bat attachments that were custom made! I'm realy itching to get to work on these buggers, there are several that will look AWESOME with the clear resin!
 I need to go onto testors website now and buy some clear paints, clear black, clear red, etc.... (btw, anyone know where I can get them cheaper?)

Well guys, I'm waiting for two more packages of stuff to come in like this one as well as my two bottles of allumilite so I can get started! 

I'll post a pic of the lot a little later, I'm setting up a little photo studio so that I can take better pics of several projects I've got going right now so after I do that I'll take some shots of this set of stuff!

thanks NFC!!!!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
Spud, have you got one of the Lobot computer terminals?  That joker needs to be cast clear.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOo, that would make it possible to light up some controls from under or behind. Nice idea.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
doc I do not have ANY computer terminals of any kind... 

something else I was thinking about doing is taking some micromachine sized figures and casting them in clear resin with a blue hint of food coloring or some other die added in (i've used food coloring in the past but never quite got it to work right so I guess I'll need to invest in some actual resin die).  that way you could do more interesting hologram figures for stuff like the admiral yalaren holo-table...

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
Now that's a good idea!  MM-sized holos.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
all good ideas.

I think viper got clear paints at a comic store, so check out www.thewarstore.com

great shop, neal is awesome, :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
thanks simon... unfourtunately that will have to be put aside untill I make a little more money... I'm flat broke!

I got 5 packages in today though... one of which was 4 ziplock bags full of helmets from all lines of figures from a guy on deviantart... most of which I won't be able to cast without heavy modification (something, regretfully, he didn't want me doing to the parts...  he was afraid that if I modified anything then couldn't get it cast that he'd lose the only coppy of the part that he sent me...)  All the parts I have to send back to him as well.

I got my two bottles of alumilite in....

I got a big box of action fleet ships in... most unfourtunately are missing their micro-figures and other parts, SOOOooo I think I'll have to dig out my box of old action fleets and make molds and coppy the missing parts to make this new box of ships complete...

I also got a bag of gi-joe fodder from a member at ST6 (that I paid him for) that had alot of great stuff in it....

needless to say I'm broke as a mo-fo......

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
so... I had some time between make up work the other night and actually poured up a couple molds.  These were of parts that NFC sent me and included an x-wing pilot helmet, endor rebel trooper hat, two rebel fleet trooper hats (one with no visor and one with the visor down), and a night vision goggle helmet accessory. 

The molds worked flawlessly this time and the pieces looked great when they were cast.  I had some trouble with the regular resin and bubbles... but when I tried the clear resin in them.... OMG do they look good.  I can't wait to show you guys these parts.  I have got to get my camera batteries charged and find the time to upload some pics this weekend.  I hope to have enough time that I can do at least one custom this weekend.... BUT I still have a ton of homework to get cought up...

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »
it all sounds great Devin but would really love to see some pics!!! ;D

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead