Author Topic: R1bb1t's Star Wars Room  (Read 11702 times)

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
Re: R1bb1t's Star Wars Room
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
George has to have Dios....
and maybe close to this size....Isnt it called "Skywalker Ranch"?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
I don't think Lucas is as in love with SW as most of us are.  He's stated plenty of times he doesn't read any of the novels or other EU material.  He also told the TPM folks to ignore all the EU stuff - even tho they would have had most of their work already done for them otherwise.  And E.T.s in the Senate???  (during the No Confidence vote against Vallorum you see a pod full of Spielberg's E.T.s)  (midi-chlorians??   wtf??)  (HAN SHOT FIRST!!  quit screwing around with the films just because you CAN!)  (etc)

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
Hello, everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I'm just getting in from a long day at work.
I was totally blown away when I saw a picture of my collection on the main page of this site. Thanks so much for that honor.
eh-heh...Mecca...  8)

Did you do anything to the styro you used for the buildings?  Styro, especially the "throw-away" packing foam in electronics & appliances, has become a recent fascination for Jules and me.  My son and I are big Battlefront players and we want to build at least a portion of the Mos Eisley map from the game.  So, any suggestions, tips, techniques, tricks, and so on you can pass along will be put to good use - and prolly rather immediately, knowing me and Jules.   ;D
On the buildings ( most of which are different from each other ), I tried plaster of paris on two of them, but it wasn't working like I wanted, so most are just painted with added things like awnings, steps, doorways, etc. As far as tips go, I laid my city out with having a mirror in mind. I put the shortest buildings closest to the mirrors, and the taller buildings further away. So, when viewed through the mirror, the city looks very vast. The Tatooine dio is more than 100 sq. ft., and has more than 100 lbs. of sand.

Oh my, Barry, you are quite the collector and a diorama man as well, I can see. Love the room, sir!
Is that a smoke trail I see coming off of a speeder or walker in that one shot?

Yes, sir. That is a smoke trail coming off of one of the Action Fleet snowspeeders. Good eye.

Wow! :o

It is just one massive diorama! I love it. Can I have your Hoth shelf please? ;D

Just kidding. Welcome to the Yards. I believe a fp story on this massive display is in order.

Thanks so much for putting my collection on the front page. I am truly overwhelmed by the kindness of this site.

Welcome.  I'm Dan.  How'd you ever come to get a collection that big?

Hi, Dan. Thanks so much for your interest. I've been collecting feverishly since '95, and I like the thrill of the hunt.

wow is probably the understatement of the moment... amazing man! My wife has issues with me just putting a few figs up on my book shelf.. she would pass a cow if she came home and I had turned the kids room into your collection =)

I could see the newpaper headline now.. "A kind and nice man was killed today, by an ATAT. His wife named prime suspect"

More pictures please!!

LOL, thanks buddy. I'll try to post some more pix soon.

see r1bb1t like i said mate "not lost in the masses" that room easily puts you up with HB94 and doc , welcome to the yards my friend  :) there will be no need for the r1bb1t rant here mate !

Always good to hear from you, mate. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have found this wonderful place.

Yes Barry, I think some more shots of your display room are warranted.
The wife has suggested that I make a star wars room downstairs when I go to finish the basement, one of these days.
Your room will serve as inspiration.

Thanks you for your kind words. I'll try and show some more pix.
A basement is a great place to display.

Welcome Ribbett, your work is just simply......BONZER!..... :o....CRIKEY!..... :o....BLOODY AWESOME!.... :o...(aussie slangs for OH MY GOD!) . Please yes, more of the same  and enjoy the comraderie here at ISY........

Thanks so much, mate. I really enjoy being here.

I seriously don't believe I've ever seen such an amazing collection.  I honestly can't find the words to convey what I'm feeling seeing this.  Utterly fantastic!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments.

Shawn, we can still make your basement look like this.

Correct. It's not as difficult as it may look.

Very impressive display of your collection, looks like alot of hard work really paid off, it looks fantastic

Thank you. I'm really glad you enjoy my room.

thats just sick!!!!!!!  not even george lucas has this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which makes me wonder does george  even haved dios?
George has to have Dios....
and maybe close to this size....Isnt it called "Skywalker Ranch"?

I don't think Lucas is as in love with SW as most of us are.  He's stated plenty of times he doesn't read any of the novels or other EU material.  He also told the TPM folks to ignore all the EU stuff - even tho they would have had most of their work already done for them otherwise.  And E.T.s in the Senate???  (during the No Confidence vote against Vallorum you see a pod full of Spielberg's E.T.s)  (midi-chlorians??   wtf??)  (HAN SHOT FIRST!!  quit screwing around with the films just because you CAN!)  (etc)

I think ol' George has a few things more than me. ;D

Thanks so much, to everyone here. It really means alot to me, the warm welcome and all of the kind words.
You people certainly know how to make a person feel welcome.

Thanks again,
Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
eh-heh...Mecca...  8)

Did you do anything to the styro you used for the buildings?  Styro, especially the "throw-away" packing foam in electronics & appliances, has become a recent fascination for Jules and me.  My son and I are big Battlefront players and we want to build at least a portion of the Mos Eisley map from the game.  So, any suggestions, tips, techniques, tricks, and so on you can pass along will be put to good use - and prolly rather immediately, knowing me and Jules.   ;D
On the buildings ( most of which are different from each other ), I tried plaster of paris on two of them, but it wasn't working like I wanted, so most are just painted with added things like awnings, steps, doorways, etc. As far as tips go, I laid my city out with having a mirror in mind. I put the shortest buildings closest to the mirrors, and the taller buildings further away. So, when viewed through the mirror, the city looks very vast. The Tatooine dio is more than 100 sq. ft., and has more than 100 lbs. of sand.

Wow.  That's mind-boggling.  My son and I are big Battlefront II gamers on our Xbox.  One of our most favorite stages is Mos Eisley.  We've tossed around the idea of modeling the entire game-map in action-figure scale...but I think our space limits will prevent that for a while yet.  So, instead, we may opt for something smaller, like a 4'x4' or 4'x8' section in action-figure scale, populated with every variety of player option in the games.  We're gonna need a lot of buildings.  So, that's why I hope you won't be too surprised when we start picking your brain on how you went about constructing your buildings.

What did you use for the main walls of the buildings - just regular old open-cell sheet styrofoam like you get by the slab at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/craft-supply houses, or something different?  Foam insulation sheets?  "Found" packing material?

If you ever wander thru your room with a camera and some extra minutes, we'd love some shots focused on your buildings.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »
eh-heh...Mecca...  8)

Wow.  That's mind-boggling.  My son and I are big Battlefront II gamers on our Xbox.  One of our most favorite stages is Mos Eisley.  We've tossed around the idea of modeling the entire game-map in action-figure scale...but I think our space limits will prevent that for a while yet.  So, instead, we may opt for something smaller, like a 4'x4' or 4'x8' section in action-figure scale, populated with every variety of player option in the games.  We're gonna need a lot of buildings.  So, that's why I hope you won't be too surprised when we start picking your brain on how you went about constructing your buildings.

What did you use for the main walls of the buildings - just regular old open-cell sheet styrofoam like you get by the slab at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/craft-supply houses, or something different?  Foam insulation sheets?  "Found" packing material?

If you ever wander thru your room with a camera and some extra minutes, we'd love some shots focused on your buildings.

Actually, my wife works at a vet clinic, and most of the buildings are various medical coolers, with a styrofoam dome attached. For the cantina, which needs a drastic makeover, the walls are just some scraps that are cut to fit the space I had.
At Wal Mart, styrofoam balls are about $1 an inch, and then cut in half for the domes. For example, an 8 inch ball is $8.
The larger domes, that are around 14 inches in diameter, were found at a furniture warehouse, in some packing material.
Stairs and doorways are pretty easy to make, and it took some time to get the paint color I was looking for, which basically involve me adjusting the color until I was satisfied with it. I don't recommend trying such a large dio, as it is extremely difficult to access certain parts, and 4ftx4ft area would be ideal for play.
The sand brings a nice realism to the area. Unfortunately for me, when I acquired the sand, it was wet. I baked small batches to ensure all of the sand was dry, which took over 8 hrs of baking.
A good tip is to have dry sand, from the start.
You can get some cheap styrofoam coolers, from dollar stores, for example. then just paint in with a tannish color( but not spray paint. Alot of the spray paints eats/ dissolves styrofoam).
My Tatooine setup is atop milkcrates, and that's a great height in which to play on, as long as you don't mind sitting.
Wide streets are great for playing on, becase you can have citizens along side  the buildings, as the speeders and Rontos pass.
Any help I can offer is a joy for me, so never hesitate to ask.

Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
oooOOOoooh!
medical coolers... I pass a vet's office every time I go to town.  I'm sure my aunts know someone who works there - they know everybody! ::)  Yeah, I've been experimenting with spray-paints and packaging foam to see what works and what...melts.   :o  The kids now watch the sides of the roads for coolers that have lost their way.   ;D  Thanks for the good start! 

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
Impressive...most impressive.
Very nice collection and awesome dioramas.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Dartheas

• Cadet
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
nice man! awesome! ;D  I haven´t got half as much.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 06:03:30 AM »
I would love to see a vid of this with a slow pan. Put that bad boy up on Utube and we will put it on the fp too. Welcome Dartheas.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:44:30 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 06:39:45 AM »
Hey Dartheas, welcome to the shipyards!

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
oooOOOoooh!
medical coolers... I pass a vet's office every time I go to town.  I'm sure my aunts know someone who works there - they know everybody! ::)  Yeah, I've been experimenting with spray-paints and packaging foam to see what works and what...melts.   :o  The kids now watch the sides of the roads for coolers that have lost their way.   ;D  Thanks for the good start! 

Anytime, Michael. Always glad to help.

Impressive...most impressive.
Very nice collection and awesome dioramas.

Thanks so much. I'm glad that you like it.

nice man! awesome! ;D  I haven´t got half as much.

Thanks, Dartheas, and welcome to this awesome site. I'm honored that your 1st post was a reply to my collection.
Thanks again.

I would love to see a vid of this with a slow pan. Put that bad boy up on Utube and we will put it on the fp too. Welcome Dartheas.

Currently, I don't own a video camera, but when I get one, I'd love to do that.

Thanks again, everyone.

Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
Those are AWESOME dioramas!!  :o :o :D
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Thanks, Serg.

Here's a few more pix.

Thanks for looking.

Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
i thought it couldnt get anymore gob smacking! but it does!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
i thought it couldnt get anymore gob smacking! but it does!

Totally agree! These rock!
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback