Author Topic: How did you start collecting?  (Read 11096 times)

Offline Star wars fan

• Lieutenant
Re: How did you start collecting?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
i started collecting when i was about 12 years
but when i was 3 years old i got the potf line figures and ships
then i got a millenium falcon, x-wing, landspeeder, ......
so actually i was 3 years old when i got lmy very very first star wars action figures and now i still have those ships and action figures and their boxes!!
and last year i got my uncle's vintage collection that was really much
and now when i am 17 i have over 350 figures and over 50 ships

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »
That sounds great Star Wars Fan. Have you put up some pics in the collection thread? I would love to see all of that.

Offline Star wars fan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »
there are already pictures of my collection in "your collection" Tamer

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 06:01:26 AM »
there are already pictures of my collection in "your collection" Tamer

I need to go take a peek at all that goodness.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
What about some of the new members?
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Vadersfist

• Ensign
    • Collectors Forum
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
How did I start collecting well thats easy enough it was through a buddy of mine on AOL at that time. He got me started and it was transformers when I started as that was my first line of figures I wanted to get back in my life. I started around 02 which now is a decade old this year which to me is hard to believe but I have not looked back since then.

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
I had the cool 80's toys growing up, but didn't start collecting until senior year of high school. POTF2 had just hit and they were AMAZING (at the time, LOL).  Toy Biz was also doing the Marvel stuff and I collected X-Men figs. I also collected Beast Wars Transformers and Kenner AvP stuff.   That went on for a few more years until those lines petered out. I moved onto Gundam models and figs around the time Cartoon Network started airing "Gundam Wing". I collected Lego Bionicles for most of their existence for the sheer pleasure of making original works. My TF collection continued right up until a couple of years ago when I got back into SW. Started out with clones, astromechs and Mandos. Got to customizing them and went from there. I don't think of myself as a collector anymore, and have sold most of my collections. I really only buy figs to customize now, but will occassionally pick up a cool fig from time to time (such as Snake Eyes, Cable & Deadpool from Marvel U, Iron Man) to go on the collection shelf.  I've customized figs from every line I collected, but now my primary focus is the customization of SW figs, along with whatever else looks like it'd be fun to "pimp out"...like my new Kenner Predator upgrades.

Oh, anyone remember "Stikfas"?  They were so awesome for a customizer. I think they got bought by Hasbro and Big H used the body arcitecture for Xevoz and as the basis for Sigma 6 GI Joe. I still have a dozen Stikfa characters somewheres.

Offline clone10

• Brigadier
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
Well, it all started when I was 2, when episode 1 came into theaters (1999). I was there with my dad and mom, but I dont remember it because I was so young. When I was 3 I started watching the OT movies and then I watched 1 again, then I started to collect starwars action figures. My collection started off slow from a small little container, to a big tub, to now a whole room. The main problem I had with it taking off so slowly was because you know, being a kid, you buy other stuff lol. Now that I am 15, the only things I buy is starwars action figure and video games. Right now I am thinking about buying a few halo figures, but havent decided yet. As of right now I have 1000 figures and 50 ships and I have also been acquiring a couple of sideshow figures.

Offline darth_mcbaine

• Cadet
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
Hi all, very first post here at imperialshipyards.

Seemed like a good a thread as any to start!

I think I was 8 at the time; we were visiting our English relatives in London and on the last day of our holiday I decided to spend all my pocket money. I went into a department stor called Debenhams and took the escalator to the toy department. As I was getting closer I heard this fantastic music score and when I arrived I stood there for 10 minutes gaping at the Return of the Jedi trailer. All those aliens, spaceships etc....I was blown away. In my memory the whole of the store was covered in Star Wars toys. I spent my money on Chief Chirpa and Logray action figures and have been hooked ever since. Had an inevitable lull in the early nineties but the Zahn novels and POTF got me back immediately and I have never looked back. I try to be a completist, but it is a bit difficult trying to do this in Holland Europe. I got into customizing little over a year ago and that has gotten me even more addicted. I think atm I even prefer customizing over actual collecting.

Anyway, my story and introduction in one go!

Hope to talk to you all in the future

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
Welcome Darth McBaine.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
I started when I was about 6, just after I get a micro machine Yavin 4 playset as a gift from my parents me. I collected a lot of sets from the galoob line, then I migrated to other scales - 1:18 and 1:6. Today I have a room fully dedicated to Star Wars and keep walking on this endless road.  0/

Offline MsComicStar86

• Lieutenant
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
When clone wars came out in 2008 I started collecting in 2009 and missed out on a lot of stuff. My inspiration is my fiance who got me into star wars, G.I. Joes, Transformers etc.. In the last 3yrs I've acquired sooo much that it makes me happy to continue collecting.