Author Topic: Help cracking open an R2  (Read 1454 times)

Offline finn

• Ensign
Help cracking open an R2
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
I am looking at trying to build a better R2 droid but I have never tackled taking one apart so I am turning to the Yards to see if anyone has some surefire ways to crack open the bodys without breaking them. Any help would be great.

Offline Trandoshanslaver1138

• let the "experts" handle this.
  • Lieutenant
  • a sceduled break
Re: Help cracking open an R2
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:02:42 AM »
If you have a steady hand, you could always use a knife
...Jareth Sartoris never found out what ICO Austin had seen back there.

Offline wookielover1138

• The Kessel Run Review
  • Colonel
  • The First Lady of SW Collecting
    • Kessel Run Review
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
Hi finn,

While I have never cracked an astromech, i'm sure if you check out wraithnine's or Luke Sprywalker's custom threads there might be something of use, or one of the many other customizers around the Yards. Wraithnine has the Astromech Directory on the front page also, you can check out the tutorials section or shoot someone a pm ;) Good luck with your R2 and let me know if I can be of more help!

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
It's going to depend on the R2 you're trying to crack probably. Any way to make your modifications without cracking the torso? Would a build-a-droid astromech work? I've had luck splitting those open.

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
I am afraid not DoD. I need to crack open the barrel and the dome will have work done as well. My goal is to make an R2 with just about every feature that I can pack into it. From the new jabba bar add ons to the clone wars opening doors and the rope out the rear.
So with these mods in mind I feel I will have to crack open a center section or at least 3 of them lol.

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
Without having one in front of me, I can't say for sure but here's what you're going to look for:

Find any pieces that are "soft plastic". The side and center legs might be, depending on the figure. Use the boil and pop method to remove any soft plastic parts that will come off.

Hopefully, you'll now have a few "holes" exposed, maybe at the bottom or sides where the legs plug in. Look for the seam where the figure was glued together. If you're REALLY lucky, and the bottom leg was removed, you might just need to insert some needle-nosed pliers into the bottom opening, wrap the figure in a towel (to keep parts from flying everywhere) and pull apart on the pliers. Make sure you're pulling apart in the direction the figure is glued together. Most figures will just crack open along the seam.

If not, you're going to have to take an x-acto knife to the seam and try to cut your way in. :/

It's one of those things that'll either be obvious and easily done, or a pain each step of the way.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
All astromechs are a pain in the but to crack! I will also suggest a BAD droid if you plan to try this. I have cracked one and it was not too bad, all others...a nightmare. Good luck buddy!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
i also  recommend a BAD droid for this,but it will still be a sod to do ...
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms