Author Topic: Whatcha eatin'?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Whatcha eatin'?
« on: November 04, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »
  I figured I'd start a food and drink thread in here. I'm always getting off topic talking about food and drinks.
So, post whatever interresting thing you've had recently.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Whatcha eatin'?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »
Lately I've been on a Jamaican/caribbean kick. I taught myself how to Jerk chicken over the summer, and it's honestly better than any barbecue chicken I've ever had.
In fact there was a Jerk festival here in Richmond, back in September. So I went to size up my chicken and honestly my chicken was better than any of them at the festival.

I use leg quarters, because it's almost impossible to dry them out.
I chop thyme, habanaro, garlic, onions, mix with jerk seasoning Mccormick or Badia brand, add soy sauce, olive oil, and a little dark rum and demerara sugar. I don't even marinade more than 45 minutes.
Mostly I cook it in the oven but have cooked on the grill with indirect heat and apple wood smoking chips. I'm telling you it's good.  I call it Voodoo Chicken, because if you eat it at night you will have nightmares and wild dreams.

You can literally Jerk anything (giggles) chicken, pork, fish, vegetables. It's spicy, savory and just a hint of sweet. This Thanksgiving I'm making a jerk pork loin, (I hate Turkey). December, I'm going to try and make Jerk chicken Tamales. Never made Tamales, but it's really not that difficult.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 07:21:55 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 03:28:09 AM »
Dang that looks good. I might have to give that a try on my smoker. Bet that would come out good.

I did smoke a whole deer over the summer and that turned out good. I have some pics somewhere.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 06:48:10 AM »
Damn smoked a whole deer! I bet that was good.  I need to get my hands on some deer meat, a lot of 18th century dishes ate made with deer obviously. I bet Jerk deer would be alright.

I went scouting out my future neighborhood, theres a bar called Industrial taphouse, obviously they serve beer mostly. I had them make me an 18th century drink called a RattleSkull. It's 2oz Dark Rum (Diplomatico) 1oz of simple syrup, 1oz of lime juice and top ot off with dark Ale or stout. It was good. Then the guy next to me ordered it, and he liked it too. But the Rattleskull was a popular drink back during colonial times. I'm bringing it back baby!

Mt dew has a new fruit cake flavor. By itself it doesn't taste like much it's like all the others it's too sweet. So I mixed Pussers gunpowder proof, mt dew fruit quake, ginger beer and lime wedge. It's perfect. Tastes just like fruit cake.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:31:45 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 07:12:43 AM »
Interesting concoction. That bottle opener is awesome.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 07:32:02 PM »
Interesting concoction. That bottle opener is awesome.

Giving it a B+, not great, but it's something different from the usual Rum/ginger beer cocktail. When I bought it at the Dollar General I was talking to the lady and we agreed it would be better as a mixer than by itself, so I took it as a challenge. Maybe a spiced rum or Goslings black would work better, but gunpowder is what I had.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 08:17:40 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 03:50:42 AM »
Your choice of glass was spot on too.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »
Tonight it will be my homemade seafood enchiladas.
Tomorrow night will be the homemade chili my wife made today.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 04:02:22 AM »
Seafood enchildas sound supremo. I could see that recipe!

That reminds me I have some blue crabs in the freezer if they are still good.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 03:56:40 PM »
At the firehouse tonight and am lucky enough that one of my guys is Italian and I convinced him to make some homemade fettuccini alfredo from scratch tonight.  For those who don't know and like to cause trouble like I do, casually mention how you break your pasta noodles before you put them in the water and watch them melt down  >:D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 03:58:31 AM »
I would love to watch an Authentic Italian make noodles and sauce, especially Alfredo Sauce. I have hated all the store bought Alfredo out of a bottle.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 05:53:38 AM »
JDeck: Reading your description of your Jamaican/caribbean kick gathered some good amount of saliva in my mouth. And I don't even eat meat anymore, but I used to love the taste of grilled chicken!

Nutrition is more important than ever before and it seem processed food becomes a big risk for us just for the sake of convenience. I'm currently learning a lot about the pathology of biochemical processes in our body at university. And diabetes and heart diseases caused by constant intake of sugar becomes a serious problem. That said, I'm sure you're all aware of this and I don't want to get off topic here.

I got an Asian recipe for a spicy chickpea soup if anyone is interested.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 05:55:58 AM »
At the firehouse tonight and am lucky enough that one of my guys is Italian and I convinced him to make some homemade fettuccini alfredo from scratch tonight.  For those who don't know and like to cause trouble like I do, casually mention how you break your pasta noodles before you put them in the water and watch them melt down  >:D

It took me a month to comment on this topic, but I wanted to say how happy I was when I read your comment, Phatty! So good that you're still following the forum.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 07:15:12 AM »
I would love to watch an Authentic Italian make noodles and sauce, especially Alfredo Sauce. I have hated all the store bought Alfredo out of a bottle.

Yeah man share it up! I like spicy food. I recently moved to this town that has the blandest food ever. Bad demographics I guess. The nearest grocery store doesn't even sell habanaros.

Have you ever heard the song that goes You put the lime in the coconut, well it's an old Jamaican hangover recipe. Coconut water has a ton of electrolytes, and lime of course has vitamin C. At any rate trying it out today.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 07:20:33 AM »
LOL. That actually sounds like a pretty tasty concoction. I hope you get to feeling better.