Author Topic: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?  (Read 14289 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2020, 08:27:54 AM »
It is indeed crazy. I have been with my wife and daughter since this all started and frankly I don't miss talking in person to anyone (maybe I am just anti-social). The bad thing for the past two week is I am getting over being sick. I had the classic symptoms of covid, but my test came back negative and it wasn't strep throat or the flu so who knows what I had. I am still not totally over it and feel pretty tired most of the time, but man thinking you have covid ain't fun. I had to coral myself in one room in my basement till I found out I wasn't sick. Now that was the pits. I had to spend from Friday afternoon when I got checked all the way till the following Wednesday till I found out I didn't have covid. It took forever for that test to come back.

As for regular people around here, I don't see many masks or gloves anymore. I think folks are just going to risk it and see what happens. My family isn't anywhere near this yet and my wife is having to travel daily to help my father in law who just came back off his second knee surgery, but we are surviving. It is crazy to me to see these states opening back up and then seeing folks get covid. Its like we started off caring about it, but now not so much.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2020, 10:43:17 AM »
Yeah that had to have sucked in the time between having symptoms and getting the test results. Could be a sinus infection or any number of things. There are guidelines for opening states. I think phase 1 requires a 14 day decline in new cases. With testing being ramped up exponentially and having a decline in cases is a very good sign. Virginia is at their 14th day, but Richmond is asking for an exemption for opening phase 1. But ironically the GRTC (the bus line) has been operating this whole time. If they really cared they would have shut the busses down months ago, because they're just Corona hot boxes. This is a great time for people to practice risk mitigation and personal responsibility. If you know the risk involved you should weigh if you should go out. In South Korea, the Government cannot tell businesses to close. It's the individuals who make the decision whether or not to go out. I'd say it's worked pretty well, outside of a group of kids getting it at a club. I'm not religious, but I think it's stupid to say ABC (Liquor store) is essential but churches are not. Really who is anyone to tell us who is essential.

I remember the Swine flu, and it mainly effected kids, and thousands of people were dying and they kept schools open. They're talking about keeping schools closed next year. We're going to have a generation of uneducated kids. This whole thing is bizarre. We've had pandemics before, but we've never gone to these lengths. I can see a few weeks but weeks are turning into months. Things are better than they were. Hospitals aren't being overrun. This isn't the walking dead.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:57:14 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Folks are definitely gonna have to use their own common sense to weight the risk. Frankly, I don't think we are quite there yet, but its not like you can trust the news to report right too. I know we are planning to lay low for the next few weeks to see what happens. And yes, as for schools we are getting rumors about things open way late or doing some kind of staggered schedule where all the kids aren't in school as the time. Who knows what hours those would be though.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
I'm to the point I don't trust the "experts" anymore. They have been wrong on every prediction, they miss the target completely on every model. Faucci is elevated to god-like status, but he's back peddled on every topic especially regarding masks. First he said they're useless, then he was pressured into recommending them. When asked why he doesn't wear a mask, he said masks only keep you from giving it to yourself. That's the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Basically they're useless.  No one knows, partially because China kept everything a secret. When things start to open I will weigh the risk involved. I'm not going into a packed restaurant, I don't regardless of Corona. I'm forced to be out in public anyway. Of course new cases will rise, but so will car accidents and plane crashes, that's the way of things. Keep your distance Chewie, but don't look like you're keeping your distance. Fly casual.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:47:46 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2020, 06:20:39 AM »
JDeck you thinking pretty much mirrors my own. I am still not convinced even the covid 19 test will give you accurate results.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
Yeah testing is kind of useless, because you can get tested one day catch it the next and think you're good to go. I was talking to my dad yesterday and he brought up Herd Immunity, how it's counterproductive for everyone to stay at home. Basically a vaccine is a small dose of the virus anyway. If you expose yourself to small doses or to someone with a very mild case, then you can build immunity, and not need the vaccine. I can almost guarantee I've been exposed to trace amounts of covid since I'm out in the front lines every single day. I was slightly sick for a few days, maybe I got it and shook it, I dunno.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
I am pretty much convinced I had it and they tested me wrong. It took so many days to get the results who knows. Frankly I think the mass public is just about done with social distancing and safety protocols. I am just gonna use common sense and not go places needlessly till we see about this whole herd thing is. I also feel for those loosing their jobs over this. Its pretty easy to social distance when you are still getting a pay check and make those going out feel bad because they are trying to survive. Some of the commentary and arguments I have seen on FB make me want to hurl.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
I can only imagine what's on Facebook. I think the protesting is dumb to an extent, I can kind of see it though. Some states are really extreme with their measures, so you can expect an extreme pushback. Honestly I think it's unconstitutional to not allow people freedom of religion or peaceful assembly. People aren't that dumb, most churches have social distancing measures. One church here in VA the State pressed charges on the pastor for having more than 10 people. The federal justice department stepped in and said the state cant do that. There was protests here and I think they were affective to a degree. They did start phase 1 this weekend, but my local bar is still closed, I think they're doing restoration, also they feel it's too soon. See that's the way it should be. Individuals should be able to make their own decisions.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:07:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2020, 05:45:54 AM »
Yeah, I think there is enough out there now to just let the people survive. I just feel bad for those who are forcing themselves out there now who have no choice because of the economic situation. I am also reading a lot of stuff about how this effects kids now with the Kawasaki sickness. It is gonna be awhile I think till things are even remotely close to back to normal, if we get there again.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2020, 04:54:31 AM »
Just returned from the Post Office to pick up an undelivered package (probably from Asia) - it's closed. So are ALL stores - including grocery stores - in my area. Shutdown No. 2 is here two days early and hit even harder than the first one...wow.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2020, 05:08:29 AM »
I hear you, nothing is shut down here yet, but things seem to be getting worse by the day. Whats awful about the situation here in the US is it seems to now be a political decision instead of a medical one and that scares the heck out of me.

I am just trying to stay home as much as I can and still have a job.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2020, 05:36:28 AM »
They are closing the markets completely for a month and shops will be open only from 9 to 23. At least I teach from home, having online classes with my students for a month already.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2020, 06:36:02 AM »
My wife's mom tested positive this past week. We are waiting on test results ourselves. The schools close to me have all went back to virtual learning.

I am thinking perhaps now that the election is over perhaps we can come up with a new and better plan here in the US as it sure doesn't seem like what we have done so far is working.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2020, 06:57:17 AM »
So how do you guys feel?
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2020, 03:24:47 AM »
Living day to day Serg. Thats how I feel.