Author Topic: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?  (Read 14234 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Corona Virus 2020 how does it affect you?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
Pat, your comment about action figure hunting and chicken gave me a good chuckle this morning. We have been pretty lucky with stuff here where I live. My wife is doing grocery pick up so she doesn't go in. It works pretty good.

Things were shut down in my state as of 8pm last night. I am guessing we will be out most of April too. I think I have my wife convinced to only go out once a week on a grocery run, but she is stir, stir, stir, stir crazy. My daughter loves it, well until I make her get off her phone and or ipad to do something active; like walk to the trashcan. Stuff like that.

JDeck that Mauser is awesome. I was actually converting one to full on hunting many years ago (having the bolt turned, drilling and tapping for scope mount, sanding and reblueing, etc.) and then I had a falling out with my brother (where I was working on it) and never got it back. I might just have to go get it after seeing yours. Frankly, I would check on the value before I did anything to it though. You might have a rare one from what I am seeing.

And RC-1136 I so agree, we need a gun thread. I will start one in the Imperial Break Room.

Stay safe out there folks. Cmon in here to let us know the latest. My plan today is to start up some plants from seed (seedless tomatoes) that I am only allowed to eat with my diverticulitis. I gotta do a bit of office work and answer some message stuff, but that won't take long.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:21:20 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:04 AM »
Yeah Tamer, I'm not going to do anything to it, just keep it, take it to the range. The bullets should be easy to get since they're so popular. I took it to an antique dealer and he appraised it at $200. They made millions of these things, they were standard issue. I had a Mauser pistol that I ended up selling, mostly because Virginia is stupid about handguns. I sold it for less than retail, but it was fair enough. I just didn't want to take any chances, because I was under 21 at the time and had frequent run ins with the law. But this rifle I'm keeping as is.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
Makes sense to me JDeck. If you ever decide you want to sell it around that price let me know. I would buy it. I would keep it though. I did start up a gun thread in Imperial Break Room if you are interested.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10741.msg217633#new

and anyone else that wants to share any firearm pics, info, stuff. Have fun with it, I know I aim too. Hey look how punny I am this morning!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
I sign back in.

Against all odds, the exam was conducted. We couldn't believe it ourselves. The information policy of my university was awful - especially of the medical faculty. All public buildings were closed in Dresden and the city is basically in a big shutdown since March 21, 2020. BUT the exams still happened - with ultra special permit by the federal government. There was a conference on Wednesday, but they wouldn't tell us the result of their gathering 'till Friday 12 pm! The exams started on Monday. Anyhew. I survived. Some contestants signed off from the exam because they couldn't stand the bombardment on their nerves.
I passed all three oral examinations in Chemistry, Biology and Physics - even with good grades! So all the learning paid off eventually. But it was not a nice situation to be examined in.

I spent a couple days to recover and pack my stuff. Dresden has a curfew by now because people just didn't follow the recommendations. Most people stayed home though. It's those few who break the rules and make everyone pay for it. You cannot leave town unless you got a permit from your employer. I got some work to do here so I got all paperwork done before I crossed the country.
So I drove home last Sunday and I was confident that the police would stop me at least once! I mean I passed 5 of 16 states! But no, I was not pulled over a single time! Only saw 4 Police vehicles in the opposite direction along those 360 miles. Imagine you have the Highway all for yourself! I was in driver's heaven guys! I had about 250 miles! all for myself and felt like a boy with his die-cast cars on a play carpet. I made all the way through in just 5 Hours. I didn't speed though. My average speed was 80 mph - top speed was 125 mph, but only for 6 miles or so. Didn't want to tank more gas at the Autobahn because it's more expensive there. But talking about gas! Man, is it cheap now! That's another positive thing about this crisis. It's 4,53€ per gallon at the Moment. Last year it was at a high of 5,78€/gallon.

On the other hand I saw significantly more dead animals on the road. That made me quite sad. I mean animals see that there's less traffic, but they don't know why. Nature is getting back what belongs to it anyway. So animals spend more time on the road now - and some are killed. Saw like 5 hawks, 2 foxes, a deer and even a dog. Had to do some tricks with my stiring wheel to not hit some other birds. I tried rolling - that's a good trick! Fortunately I didn't hit anything except for an empty box of cigarettes. 

So I'm feeling excellent! Governmental confinement to stay at home is the best damn thing that could possibly happen to me! I have way too many projects to be realized. And if I hoard one thing: It's material for my Star Wars madness! So I can work even though all stores are closed 'till the end of April. Also the start of the next semester has been pushed to the beginning of May.
I planned on finding a job from May to September, but the market looks more than dark right now.

The Star Wars fan convention was cancelled due to the Virus. That sucks a lot, especially because I wanted to display some of my stuff there. But I make the best out of it and build MORE STUFF. Maybe it's going to happen in summer.

Stay safe & healthy guys! Staying home is one of my favorite hobbies. And boredom is something I think we all don't know! lol

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:14:42 AM by Darth More »

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 02:26:38 AM »
A miracle! The coronavirus caused scalpers to stay home. As a result, I found ALL the newest TVC wave at Walmart. I bought the new P1 clone trooper and The Mandalorian for customizing (I have another in shipment I will keep regular).
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 02:40:10 AM »
Hey RC, that's awesome news! I'm not hunting for toys anymore. Instead, I hunt for toilet paper, soap, kitchen towel, desinfectants and water. Found some water yesterday. There's no limit on water, yet, but there will be, soon!

I'm really glad you found the Mando wave! I had no other option than going to tughori. Even IF I find the wave at retail, there're enough scalpers around here who will be quicker than me. Plus they're 18,99€ each (~$21), so tunghori was expensive, yet a little cheaper! Crazy times these days...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 02:44:09 AM »
Also my camera broke after 4 years, several flights and about 10,000 pictures...the Auto focus went out of Service on German Comic Con back in December. Luckily the camera broke at the very end of the event. Tried to fix it myself, but I have to ask a professional as soon as stores open again. That's why I cannot post any high-res images for now, but that won't stop me from building, painting and customizing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Darth More that was sure an interesting time. Glad you passed your exam, I know that was a big deal. Now you can stay at home and customize.

As far as the Tamer household, we have been staying in, I so want to go look for a few new figures, but I am staying home and trying to decide on my internet orders. My collection room is so jam stocked right now I just have to be selective.

I did go out last Friday to pick up a come to my car and give me my groceries order and it surprised me how many were out and about.  So many people here just don't seem to care. We just heard our work will be out till at least the end of April so thats good news. I will be able to get some turkey hunting in so I don't go too stir crazy. My wife also just shared the news that NY is getting refrigerated trucks and are setting up mobile hospitals in Central Park. Crazy times!

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »
Allegedly, Mandatory stay at home orders are coming soon here in Florida. Florida Highway Patrol is supposed to have set up roadblocks on the Florida/Georgia line.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 03:33:55 AM »
And it continues to digress.
Fabulous news, DM, you made it! And, that was a good high speed run.
I checked three stores yesterday with no new restocks. I don’t think I will see the mando wave here.
  I’m still working but my hours have been shorter the last two weeks. It’s supposed to pick up next week though. Albeit far from home for me.
The wife’s running on 5 hr days and a cut salary. I’m not sure they will make it now as when school districts reorder later in the year than usual, all will now have restricted budgets because of state and federal money’s directed towards fighting COVD19
     They may only order pencils and paper for the next school year.

RC, I take it my Florida vacation is postponed then? It doesn’t look like the world will reopen in time for us to go. The end of this month is our usual target time. I imagine our situation will get more colorful from now till then.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:38:31 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 06:53:06 AM »
Clint you be careful when you are out and about.

I live in the sticks in rural WV and we are finally hearing about covid 19 cases in neighboring counties now. Supposedly its still not here yet, but figure its only a matter of time now.

I have a kind of, well lets just call him an eccentric older gentleman, who has been canvasing the neighborhood and told me he is seeing activity on a campground that borders our wooded property. I don't know what to think about that. I know our governor stated that all private campgrounds are closed. I am guessing these folks probably fled an urban area trying to get away from this outbreak. My neighbor is gonna be watching those folks like a hawk. He told me yesterday has a few hundred pounds of M16 ammo!

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
Yeah, Florida is off limits for now. FHP is gonna control the flow up North of me. I know we'll probably get another directive or order from the Governor with instructions with what to do. The close down happens at midnight.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »
NJ may be heading for a total lockdown soon as well.

I have been doing 10-11 hour shifts every day as we have had so many sick call outs. We have even had a confirmed COVID-19 case in my office. The infected carrier is out on administrative leave, but who knows how many he/she (carrier was not identified) may have infected before they showed symptoms.

I am starting to cough and feel some chest congestion, hopefully it is just the regular cold/flu and not the plague LOL
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 03:08:57 AM »
You try to be careful, Dan

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »
My brother works for USPS in Colorado. He told me there was a confirmed case in his terminal, but he found out through his wife, that knows someone who is married to someone in a different terminal. I hate it when companies try to hide stuff from their employees.  So he was pissed lol.

Here between the weather and pollen everyone is sniffling and sneezing, then I got a Diverticulitis attack yesterday, but it was mild. Just had a 99 degree temperature. I think if it would have gotten over 100 I'd try to find some options on not having to work. I know my body but I'm not a doctor, I could have both, you never know.