Author Topic: The Gun Thread  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: The Gun Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »
You have quite a few weapons there, Tamer. Trophy wall to boot?  0/

Oh yeah, I can show you some of that if you are interested?

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »
You have quite a few weapons there, Tamer. Trophy wall to boot?  0/

Oh yeah, I can show you some of that if you are interested?

Oh yeah. Definitely! As a Predator fan of course I am interested

Lol
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
I will take some pics this evening and post tomorrow. I have quite a few skulls! LOL!

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 02:23:29 AM »
I will take some pics this evening and post tomorrow. I have quite a few skulls! LOL!

Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
LOL. Well not human skulls, but you will get the gist of it with these pics. Please disregard my stockpile of Star Wars items as my den is just seriously cluttered right now. I have got to do something to balance my hobby displays.

Anyhow here we go with one of the best shots I ever made on a coyote at 200 yards open sights running up a pole line with my muzzleloader:

Here are my deer and turkey mounts:

I have a few assorted odds and ends like this around the house too, but some quick pics since you requested them. Daggone I have got to do something with my collecting and I have cut way back!

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
Daaaaaaaang! Many worthy hunts. Much respect.

I've never hunted game in my life. Now people? Plenty of times. Not for trophies, mind you. Mainly warrants. Lol!

But that wood lined wall looks great! Did you hang the trophies up yourself? Or do the wood work? It looks top notch.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »
But that wood lined wall looks great! Did you hang the trophies up yourself? Or do the wood work? It looks top notch.

Thank you sir.

First Question. Yes, I put up all the mounts. I am really partial to European Mounts now. It is a nice way to do it yourself too. I have a set up out behind my house to boil and clean skulls. Its not a hard process, just an involved one.

Second Question. Yes, me and my father in law did all the wood work. He has all kinds of fun tools that as he is getting older make their way into my house and then don't go back anymore. I used to have a thread where I showed how this all went from just concrete walls with floor joist supports to full blown man cave and most of it is wood. There might be some pics of it in my collection thread. That is if it survived the photobucket purge.

Back to guns I am still wasting way too much time this week researching if I want an 870 or an M3K as folks call em. Both seem pretty good. I am hearing the newer 870s are just junk now though, as the company that took over Remington is doing some cost cutting on parts and is making some inferior guns. It sounds like the M3K is a poor man's Benelli and is an inertia driven system which evidently runs much cleaner than the gas guns and requires a lot less cleaning with a lot less parts. I like that.

My other thing is if I want to put a speed bead sytem on it.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems

The premise is that for wing shooting it forces you to put your head on the gun the right way so you can hit. I have been reading reviews for weeks now and some folks love it while some hate it. Those that love it say it really increases their bird and clay pigeon hits while those who hate it say it goes on like a bear and can be flimsy so it moves around a lot which would be awful if true. To muddy the waters even more it seems this M3K is drilled and tapped on the receiver too so I could potentially mounty my red dot on a pitcanny rail that sits on top of the receiver too. So a mount closer to my eye that will force me to sight properly but put an optic close to my eye with shotgun recoil or a mount on top of the receiver which would negate the recoil worry but might cause improper form for wing shooting.

The nice thing is I have more time to research cause I ain't getting anything till this covid 19 hysteria is over. From what I understand folks are buying guns and ammo like crazy.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »

Thank you sir.

First Question. Yes, I put up all the mounts. I am really partial to European Mounts now. It is a nice way to do it yourself too. I have a set up out behind my house to boil and clean skulls. Its not a hard process, just an involved one.

Second Question. Yes, me and my father in law did all the wood work. He has all kinds of fun tools that as he is getting older make their way into my house and then don't go back anymore. I used to have a thread where I showed how this all went from just concrete walls with floor joist supports to full blown man cave and most of it is wood. There might be some pics of it in my collection thread. That is if it survived the photobucket purge.

Back to guns I am still wasting way too much time this week researching if I want an 870 or an M3K as folks call em. Both seem pretty good. I am hearing the newer 870s are just junk now though, as the company that took over Remington is doing some cost cutting on parts and is making some inferior guns. It sounds like the M3K is a poor man's Benelli and is an inertia driven system which evidently runs much cleaner than the gas guns and requires a lot less cleaning with a lot less parts. I like that.

My other thing is if I want to put a speed bead sytem on it.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems

The premise is that for wing shooting it forces you to put your head on the gun the right way so you can hit. I have been reading reviews for weeks now and some folks love it while some hate it. Those that love it say it really increases their bird and clay pigeon hits while those who hate it say it goes on like a bear and can be flimsy so it moves around a lot which would be awful if true. To muddy the waters even more it seems this M3K is drilled and tapped on the receiver too so I could potentially mounty my red dot on a pitcanny rail that sits on top of the receiver too. So a mount closer to my eye that will force me to sight properly but put an optic close to my eye with shotgun recoil or a mount on top of the receiver which would negate the recoil worry but might cause improper form for wing shooting.

The nice thing is I have more time to research cause I ain't getting anything till this covid 19 hysteria is over. From what I understand folks are buying guns and ammo like crazy.
everything is sold out in my corner of the world. People are getting scared and stupid.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:18 AM »
Yeah, everything is on hold as far a new gun purchase; there are just no deals now. I think I have decided I am gonna get the Stoeger M3000 after reading so much bad press on the newer 870's. It doesn't sound like Remington is the same company it used to be. Kinda sad as I styled myself a Remington Guy.

Anyhew, now I have to decide on wheter I want the 28" barrel or the 30" version with a ported barrel and better choke (about $85 more). It also has an oversized charging handle and magazine release lever. This seems to be more like a dedicated skeet version which is one of the things I wanted to try, but I also want to use it for upland bird hunting. The other nice thing about a ported barrel is it kicks less. The only thing I worry about is this is an inertia gun meaning the recoil is what pushes the action back to load the next shell. I want to mainly use low brass 2 and 3/4 inch shells in this. It seems once I answer one question then I come up with thirty more.

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3000-shotgun

I have watched some crazy mods to this shotgun on YouTube for folks who really like them for 3Gun Competitions. The magazine extensions seems to be a popular thing. Some folks are taking a grinder to the area you load the shells and really streamlining that too. I definitely wouldn't get that crazy, but might see about what getting an extra barrel would cost. I think I have myself talked into the 30 inch, but I am sure I will change my mind again here in about five minutes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:59:49 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 02:24:11 PM »
I finally got out my tricked out SKS and shot it. I don't care who you are, Russian Assault Rifles are just fun. The wolf ammo I used was just crap and I have quite a few failure to fires and ejects. I think my wife thought I was nuts when I was using my leg and kicking the bolt down. That about all you can do unless you use a hammer! The hornady ammo shot great.

The SKS isn't a precision instrument, but for sheer volume, plinkability, and no recoil this is just sheer cheap fun for a firearm

This was around 80 yards using another type of red dot (Spartan II by Vortex). The red dot covered up more than the bullseye or I bit I could have done a bit better.

Having a bayonet could be good too. This gun is just fun. Tapco makes some cool aftermarket stuff for the sks too.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
That SKS is a beauty. I really like the finish it has!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
That SKS is a beauty. I really like the finish it has!

Thank You. Forest Green. I think they had a choice of 3 colors. Matter of fact I think I have a black version of this stock too just sitting in the parts bin.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 08:40:09 AM »
Tried sighting in the new red dot sight on my turkey shotgun. Got this with one adjustment. I love the Burris Fast Fire 3!

This was at 50 yards:

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
Tried sighting in the new red dot sight on my turkey shotgun. Got this with one adjustment. I love the Burris Fast Fire 3!

This was at 50 yards:

Not bad! The target looks hilarious.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »
Yup I'd call that a fatal shot. Went through his brain, jugular and windpipe.