Author Topic: Gelagrub Patrol Clone Trooper  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Gelagrub Patrol Clone Trooper
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »
The figure is the one which comes in the Gelagrub Patrol pack, this one was sent from Hong Kong as a single figure, though.
Re. articulation the Gelagrub trooper is just like the new style Cody, except for the swivel wrists he has all ball-joints and ball-hinged joints.

He comes with a soft goods kama which looks and feels a lot more natural than the molded plastic kamas we are used to. I will, however, try to install kamas made from artificial leather on a future custom figure as I think it may look even more like the blaster-resistant hide it is supposed to represent than the textile kama used in the Gelagrub trooper.
Still, I'm tempted to say that for a stock figure this softgoods kama is a decent step ahead.

Back to the figure on hand:

The trooper comes with a new type of belt with a pair of holsters hanging from the belt by drop-leg straps.
No more cutting away excess plastic from the belt/holster/kama one-piece molding to attain a more realistic look from now on.
The new type DC-15 Blaster Pistols fit very tightly into the holsters, but that way you’re obviously not running into danger of losing them easily.

His shoulder pauldron is the new type with what I suppose is to represent a free-swinging bandolier as it does not connect to any place on the belt. This is one aspect I am not too fond of, though.
Hasbro knows how to do working bandoliers, they are a basic feature on the GI Joe figures and the Clone Wars Commander Gree also has one.
Once more the pauldron causes the helmet to sit too high on the head so you see the trooper’s chin, a prob we all know since these pauldrons were introduced.

Other than that, I can’t find fault with this figure.

It has great conversion potential and somehow I have the odd feeling that the figure will not be too expensive when getting them from the Far East so they should be well-suited for army building or unit customizing.

I surely hope that the super-articulation as we see them on these two guys here will now become the standard for Clone troopers. Actually, there is no real excuse for lame articulation any more, Hasbro has proven that their Star Wars action figures are up to standard now.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Gelagrub Patrol Clone Trooper
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »
Another great review Volker!  Once I get some new backgrounds for Image Review Guides, I'll be throwing these on there!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
another great review mate
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
Great review, great pics to see as well.

I'm really not fond of the removable helmet clones, for various reasons. One of them being the chin problem. You can resolve this by turning the head backwards and then place the helmet on.

Is it me, or does his pelvis seem to have a more off white of shade compared to the rest?

Anyway, I too applaud Hasbro for finally bringing their SW figures up to par in the field of articulation. I really love the 2008 Anakin/Vader and Obi-Wan figures, and I've got dozens of AT-TE Gunners volunteering to part with their hips  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
Cool deal, another one I can fp tomorrow. You are sure making it easy to keep the fp hopping too. Great review. Not sold on that kama though. Looks like it flares a bit as soft goods. Still so glad to hear about that articulation. I just hope they keep it going. Like you said, there is no reason not to now. They have the tooling.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Great pics and a nice review.
Have to find a few of these loose on ebay...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »
Nice review and great pics! That pic of the gun was a fantastic close up.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
I think the pistol warrants a resin cast, Clint.
Does it not?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 03:51:07 AM »
Might as well as I've got three molds for the old version now.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:39:30 AM »
Do you need a master piece to make your mold?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Yes Volker but I'm sure that bp will show up around here soon enough. You don't have to send me one as I am sure that I will mold it as soon as I find it.