Author Topic: Blu-Ray review - Original Trilogy - First Impressions...  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Blu-Ray review - Original Trilogy - First Impressions...
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
Someone has got to let me know how the Battle of Hoth looks now.

I don't have blu-ray or an HDTV yet (I know, don't even get me started on that as my wife tells me I have whined enough this week), but plan to rectify that situation shortly. It was a choice right now of that or snow tires and dummy me had to be daggone realistic. I hate the real world sometimes.

Anyway, I am eagerly checking this thread so I can go ewww and ahhhhh when you folks tell me new things.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
Actually the Hoth scenes I've watched so far don't seem to different from the DVD version. I'm watching the film in full next week so will let you know what I think...

Star Wars A New Hope is sublime!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:10 AM »
You should like this, Shawn. 0/
I have been in Branson on vacation since wed but still managed to go looking for the BD yesterday.
The goal was to find it at a walmart so I could get the exclusive Boba Fett poster. Now B ranson has two walmart stores in town and the first larger one didnt have any copys of the full 9 disc set like I wanted or, any posters for that matter. What they did have was this interesting atat walker display towards the front of the store.

Now, the smaller walmart in town not only had the full boxed set for $10 cheaper than the larger store had it tagged as but they had the posters as well. The guy running the register at the electronics dept was kind enough to give me an extra one and I will let it go here in exchange for 15 working upcs. It measures 23"X36"

no, I havent been able to watch em yet but this big box includes over 40 hours worth of extras

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 04:45:48 AM »
Daggone Bummer on the Battle of Hoth Scenes, but thanks for looking for me Jules.

Clint, I saw a similar pic on ebay and man wouldn't it be cool to get that store display to put my figs in! I bet someone already has called dibs on it, if it is even at one of my walmarts. It would be cool though. Thanks for the images. That poster looks awesome.

I need to make sure I get the nine disc set. If someone has the chance to put up the graphic for the case for this I would appreciate it. I am thinking it is the set with the Lars Homestead on it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »
here you go, Shawn.............

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
Thanks Clint. I used that pic to whine to my wife and low and behold we saw one lone six disc pack left at walmart after lunch today. She bought it for little ole me. I then remembered that there were posters for walmart and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. They went back to look and found some. They even gave me an extra (which I already gave to Chad).

Now all I need is an HDTV and a Blu Ray Player. My mom demanded she buy me the blu ray player of my choice for xmas. Now to just find the right TV!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
Blu-Ray players have REALLY come down in price lately.  I saw a Sony Blu-Ray player at H.H. Gregg the other day for only $100.  That's the good news.  For a TV, it's all about your space.  If you have a large living room, you'll need a larger TV.  My Living room is 16' wide by 9' deep, with us really inhabiting only 11' of that width.  We have a 42" Vizio 1080P with 120Hz processing, and it's a perfect size.  I could go larger to about 47", but any larger and it's taking up too much space.  For value, I'd suggest a Vizio.  I'm very happy with mine, the picture is stellar.  Samsung probably makes the best LCD/LED picture in any price range.  I saw a 70" LED Samsung at HH Gregg for just shy of $3000.  It was so beautiful, I honestly considered not paying the mortgage and car payments for a month and live off of ramen noodles.  When I got mine, I got it from Sam's Club because they provided lifetime warranties on anything you buy from them except for computers or generators.  I believe they no longer offer that lifetime guarantee, but the prices are still pretty good.  I browsed there the other day online and saw 47" Vizios for less than I paid for my 42" at the time.  If you have the opportunity for a short-term part time job or tutoring or something, I say go for it and get your TV!  It's so worth it.  And Laura will be amazed by it too, though she'll loathe to admit it. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
They also had that Walker Blu Ray Set up even at my smaller walmart. I will go on record as saying this would make a great xmas present for me too. I don't know where I would put it, but for cardboard it sure comes about as close to three and three quarter scale for one of these vehicles I have ever seen. It would make a cool playset.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
Wow Pat, excellent tips thank you.

I have about 11 feet deep to deal with so I am thinking 50 inch or around there. I did see a Samsung and Interent Ready Vizio that I liked so it was good to hear you talk about those two brands. Also, I am ready to buy one, just want to make the right choice. I will do a bit more research but plan on watching this before or by Xmas this year.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
Blu-Ray players over here go for as low as £39.99 :)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Blu-Ray players over here go for as low as £39.99 :)

Now that would be nice. I might try to wait and get an xmas sale maybe.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
i bought the blu-rays but i dont even have a player yet!    (watching at my mates house at the mo ) will be inheriteing a 40" philips LCD screen from my parents with £600 's worth of Sony Surround sound equipement as well as the £250 stand as well   :) ) at last i am having some good luck ! the only bummer is that the telly is awesome but is preHDMI so i will have to connect using the DVI connector   :-\  but hey ho   "never look a gift horse in the mouth" as we say over here...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
I agree Jay, I can't wait to get mine. Heck with interent TV connectivity now I won't need my laptop!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 04:04:57 PM »
luckily the TV IS HD and has an awesome picture  ,i tell you shawn i am lovin the special features discs on this set!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
luckily the TV IS HD and has an awesome picture  ,i tell you shawn i am lovin the special features discs on this set!

LOL. Well whining got me my Blu Ray Set, perhaps more will get me my TV.