Author Topic: Attack of the clones  (Read 1881 times)

Offline JLaban4

• Commodore
  • The only good lizard, is a dead lizard.
    • Follow this link to see my customs and other videos
Attack of the clones
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
Hi guys, just thought I'd start a topic to talk about Attack of the clones. Enjoy!

Offline halnarthax87

• Non-Canonical Legend
  • Commander
Re: Attack of the clones
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:57:12 AM »
 ()rr ()rr ()rr

There you are. They are clones and they are attacking.
This is the prequel I have the most conflicted feelings about. I was young when I saw Phantom Menace, so I was the age group they targeted and well, it worked for me. Looking back it's not as good as I remember, but still better than its reputation. AOTC was good at times... when people weren't speaking. And yet... I've come to accept... well, tolerate the dialogue. As annoying as it is, much of Anakin's dialogue serves as good foreshadow.
The real problem I have with this one is that it feels like it's nothing more than a buildup to the third act, when ESB was much more than a buildup. In ESB we delved deeper into the characters, furthered the story, and it stood on its own as a film.
But why focus on the negative? That Christopher Lee is a pretty cool villain. Shame he got all of... I'd say, 15 minutes of screentime.
The exploits of my life are less canonical than they are legendary.

-H.

Offline JLaban4

• Commodore
  • The only good lizard, is a dead lizard.
    • Follow this link to see my customs and other videos
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
AOTC will always be my favourite Star wars episode, I'm not sure why I prefer it to the other episodes like ROTS, ESB, ROTJ etc, well I supose it was the first Realistic Star Wars film that I watched and it's what got me into liking Star Wars in the first place, so I guess that's why I like AOTC so much.

Spookymufu

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »
Hi guys, just thought I'd start a topic to talk about Attack of the clones. Enjoy!

ummm, okay....It was the second of three movies I hated..... :)

Offline halnarthax87

• Non-Canonical Legend
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
To each his own. ;D
The exploits of my life are less canonical than they are legendary.

-H.

Offline Leatheryman

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:43 AM »
Well I'm of the slightly older generation and I actually don't hate the prequels. I admit I fantasized about episodes 7, 8 & 9 for a very long time, until I read some EU books and they suddenly didn't seem so attractive anymore. Though to see Boba Fett explode himself out of the sarlaac's gut ranks pretty high on my list of "what if" visuals.

I tend to approach the prequels in a retrospective way. It's easy for me to imagine Episode 1 being made around the time of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey, which is kind of ironic considering the title and release date (on dvd maybe?) of the respective movies. Of course if it had been made in the late 60s, it would have just blown everyone's mind beyond comprehension! In the modern era, it's just "meh" to a lot of people. People are much more discerning these days and are spoilt for choice with the blockbusters and special effects. But I do understand that some fans are just annoyed with the direction it took. I had no preconceptions at all about what the films would be like, so had nothing to be disappointed about for the most part. I just took it as it came.

As for AOTC, I am fairly impressed by most of the film. The speeder chase, the asteroid chase, the arena scenes and of course the huge clone battle and the lightsaber duels were pretty good, though not as cool as Episode 1. I do remember walking out of the cinema feeling like I'd just seen something made for selling toys though. I was probably right. Though after seeing it several times, I tended to appreciate the details more and more.

Just get rid of the that horrid fireplace scene and fix Obi-Wan's beard in the pick up shots! That is all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:18:32 AM by Leatheryman »