Imperial Community > Imperial Break Room

I'm gonna be a pilot. Best in the Galaxy.

(1/4) > >>

JDeck:
   I'm finally going to commit to getting my pilot's license/certification. It's something I've been wanting to do my whole life. My grandpa and my aunt were both pilots, so I'd be third generation pilot, the flying bug skipped my dad and brother. It's going to be expensive and time consuming, so my customizing and collecting will suffer. I need to turn my customizing workspace into a study, but I think I can work on a project here and there. Actually getting more organized might end up making customizing easier.

My plan is to first buy flying textbooks. I already have a basic understanding of the mechanics of flight, but there are things I struggle with like reading sectional charts, headings, mostly navigational things. So while I'm saving money for flight school I'm going to basically self teach, learn everything I can "free" and that will lower my instruction time therefore making the whole process cheaper.  In addition to textbooks I'm going to use Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, to practice what I've learned.  My goal is to have my licence within two years from now, as it'll probably take a year to save enough to get started.  Im going on a roadtrip in a couple of weeks, but when I get back I'm going to start getting things ready. I need to invest in a gaming laptop. They're expensive, but they're pretty incredible. I'm looking at a Mytrix Strix G17, which is top of the line really, it might be overkill but I can definitely run any flight simulator on the market. Besides that I want to play Star Wars Squadrons too lol. So we'll see how it goes. I'll update as I progress through the process.

Darth More:
This is wonderful news, JD! I'm really happy for you and will be excited to follow your progress.
I love watching videos of flight simulators on YouTube. They might be helpful for you as well since they're so realistic nowadays. DCS World is a combat simulator as you probably know, but there are so many others that have improved in lightspeed over the past couple decades.

I wish you most success for your life-long goal. Looking forward to seeing your dream finally come true and wish you all the best for it.

- Philipp

JDeck:
  Thanks man. The fs2020 is incredible, it uses Bing Maps as it's arial view and you can pick from dozens maybe hundereds of different private planes. here's a video of the comparison between the simulator and the actual real thing. Outside of fog and some lighting it's hard to tell the difference.  I think it'll be mostly helpful for instrument training. Maybe takeoffs and landings. I can pick a cessna 172, most likely the plane I'll be training in, and learn the aircraft before ever getting in. 

Tamer:
That is one awesome goal. I am glad you are going for it.

That is how this site is made. I was just tired of the flaming I saw in other places and said you know what, I am gonna make a place that doesn't have that.

I know I don't know everything now, but enough to get into all kinds of trouble and enough to keep the lights on here.

I bet flying would be one of the greatest ways to drive anything. Good luck! I like your plan and how to make it cheaper.

JDeck:

--- Quote from: Tamer on September 04, 2021, 06:27:38 AM ---That is one awesome goal. I am glad you are going for it.

That is how this site is made. I was just tired of the flaming I saw in other places and said you know what, I am gonna make a place that doesn't have that.

I know I don't know everything now, but enough to get into all kinds of trouble and enough to keep the lights on here.

I bet flying would be one of the greatest ways to drive anything. Good luck! I like your plan and how to make it cheaper.

--- End quote ---

It'll be an experience. That's the way I look at my breadtruck. If I can drive a breadtruck i can drive anything lol. Like that guy on Dodgeball, if you can dodge a hammer you can dodge a ball.  I had 3 options, get a CDL, a racing certification or a pilots license. CDL would have been a good fallback, they make decent money, but everyone is talking how truck drivers will be obsolete due to self driving trucks, but I'm doubtful at least anytime soon.  A racing certification would be a fun weekend, but outside of that, not very useful. A PPL, will be a nece challenge, and accomplishment, and I can fly for as long as i can pass the class 3 medical.

Yeah I really like this site, I've been on others, but there's something missing. They don't have the ISY charm i guess. Unfortunately we've lost guys to Facebook and Instagram. I was just thinking about Goldleaderone, wondering if he was playing Squadrons, he was big into pilots and ships, he doesn't even post on YouTube anymore. I have a tendency to be opinionated and stir the pot a little, but I try not to on here as much lol. 

Im still going to make stuff. In fact i got this rad idea to take a TBS X-wing helmet and intergrade a gaming headset into it. I gotta figure out how to do it though. I'm not an electrician, and I don't want to like electro shock my head lol. I got a lot of stuff cooking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version