Imperial Community > Imperial Break Room

The Gun Thread

(1/9) > >>

Tamer:
I wasn't sure if I should start this here or in Sports (many people think shooting falls along those lines), but ultimately I decided here was best after RC-1136 said we needed to start one as evidently there are a few of us who like this. I thought it was a great idea.

My background into firearms is that I grew up with them. Probably the biggest tradition in my area growing up with the week at the end of November when everyone got together to deer hunt. I can still remember the buckwheat breakfast my grandma would make before everyone went out. Being able to join that breakfast as a hunter myself the first time is one of my fondest kid memories. I still deer and turkey hunt, not as much as I used too, but I still go a few days to remember my heritage if you will.

Tack on a stint in the army and being a certified hunter safety instructor in WV I have found I just enjoy a good built firearm, optic, and shooting as much as anything anymore. My latest fun has been with my first pistol purchase, a Canik Tp9Sfx. I have wanted one for a long time (I am mainly a rifle guy) and after doing a lot of research and wanting to use a holo site (for me Burris Fastfire 3) this one seemed like a good bet. The set up and mounting of the optic was simple as was the takedown to clean it before I fired it for the first time. Here is a better look at it and my first grouping with it at 25 yards (it took me just one adjustment on the red dot site to hit the bull). This was just me resting off my banister on my front porch (I live in the middle of the woods).

I liked the red dot site so much (Burris Fastfire 3) that I bought another one and mounted it on my Turkey Shotgun (I will do pics with it later on when I site it in). The optic has a pitcanny accesory if you need it and will co-witness with regular iron sights on most firearms. The best thing about it too is it has a lifetime warranty with no questions asked and you don't have to send in a warranty card. I like that type of dedication. It also withstands a ton of recoil. I think you could use it on an elephant gun. The power button is simple too with just four modes ( first is auto adjust with available light which I always leave it on), two is bright, three is less bright, and four is dim, while another push turns it off. It stays on for 8 hours if you forget to shut it off, but this is nice for forgetful people like me. It is so nice for my old eyes which have a hard time focusing on closer ranges anymore.

I have another red dot sight called a Vortex Spartan I put on a souped up tactical SKS I have (pics on that one later) that is nice too, but I haven't even shot it or sighted it in yet. I might make that some of my fun for next week.

I also have quite a few hunting rifles I can share pics of if folks want; most bolt-action rifles in various calibers. I have either an optic problem or some type of problem with my 7mm Rem Mag I need to flush out in the near future too. It seems to be throwing shots and won't line up with the scope. I also have a few AR type rifles and some military surplus stuff and a crossbow (it shoots almost like a gun) too. Anyhew, I figure this is enough to get us started.

JDeck:
I have this old Belgian double barrel shotgun. I have no idea what it is to be honest. I'm more into antique military weapons, and this seems to be like a bird hunting gun.  It says, touzalin armes chateaurenault . I know chateau means house and Renault made vehicles, but other than that I'm clueless   Any thoughts? I can't find anything on it.

RC-1136:
Top: Remington 870 Tactical Shotgun, with after market mods.

Middle: M-4 Carbine...leftover from military surplus and is my patrol rifle from work. The government knows we have fully auto rifles but doesn't care...lol

First pistol is my service weapon. Glock 17, .9mm.

Second pistol is my conceal carry/back up gun. Sig Sauer P320(C), .9mm.

The notorious third click!

Here's a picture of myself shooting my buddy's Romanian PSL (Drugnaov knockoff doppelganger)

Tamer:
JDeck I have never even heard of that shotgun brand. Sounds French? It is definitely an upland bird gun. I have heard back in the day they would release thousands of game birds into a piece of property, station a person every few hundred yards or so in a line and then flushers would go towards the shooters and the birds by the hundreds would fly over the shooters. I wonder if this gun was made for something like those hunts?

Tamer:
RC,

Those are some fantastic firearms. I love that tac'd out 870. I am thinking of trying to buy a black synthetic 870 express and put a speed bead on it to have an upland bird/skeet gun. I have never done a bunch of that, but the 870 imo is probably the best pump shotgun out there. I remember winning a turkey shoot one time with an old 870 wingmaster as just a daggone kid. I did so good the organizer of the event told me not to bring the gun back!

I am envious of your AR for that third click on your safety. I have never had a need for full auto, even in the service, but it sure is fun to shoot that way. I remember how serious the zeroing was back in the day. All those clicks. It seems you like iron sights. Nothing to fail on those at all. Still, get yourself a flat top, put a red dot on it, and tell me you don't pick up your target quicker. Its just unreal. I have an Olympic Arms AR with a hunting scope on it. It is my freezer filler as WV does an end of year Christmas Season for whitetails and I love to use it. You can shoot more than once and having a semi is critical imo. And the feel and lack of recoil of the AR just makes me more accurate. At 300 yards I am unreal, and I don't think I am that great of a shot.

Now your pistols are fantastic. I see iron sights once again. Are those just tac lights or are they lasers too? Seem nice. I thought about getting something for my Canik, but am unsure about how much weight those would add and I really like the feel of it now. It might be interesting to see how a laser and the red dot sight would co-witness. It could be awesome or really screw things up I would think. Glock and Sig are just awesome brands too. About the only other one I might consider is smith and wesson. Their M and P line really seems nice. Does the Sig have a safety? I know the Glock doesn't. How do you feel about that? I know my Canik doesn't have a safety and when I have one in the chamber I am really careful with muzzle control. I wonder if I would be as careful if I knew it had a safety? I am just wondering if you like the pistol with our without a manual safety?

That last image reminds me of my tricked out SKS a lot! I will post some pics sometime soon. I really enoy the tactical look. I was watching a shotshow 2020 video on youtube this morning and saw an AR on a tactical bolt action platform and the accuracy they were stating was unreal (.35 at 100 yards for the best groups no worse than .75).

Thank you for sharing your picks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version