Author Topic: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...  (Read 51534 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2021, 03:57:32 AM »
Nice!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
Hey Philipp,
I've been A.W.O.L. for a while. These last several resources were great options, thanks for sharing all these great tools.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »
Tamer: Thanks, have you ordered from AliExpress, yet? If so how was your experience with them?

Starchaser: Wow, your return hit like an Imperial Orbital Bombardment! It's so good to read your name on here, again! I'm glad you find my resources useful. I provided some links on the AliExpress thread.

Here's a direct link to the page where I found the latest accessories:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32744545365.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4ca84c4dT8QDtp

I'm always happy if questions are asked. And I'll try to help as good as I can.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2021, 06:28:26 AM »
I haven't yet, but I think I am getting ready too.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2022, 09:10:08 AM »
I really like your latest parts that you have shared.
They fit perfectly into a Jabbas palace, sail barge or Tatooine diorama.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »
   I was able to get some Disney Parks Droid Factory Mystery Crates, empty for less than $5 each. I just wanted the crates, forget the droid. So they came in today, and I wanted to see if I can paint it without having to mask it. The translucent panels do pop out, making painting easier, however the printing they did on it is really thick and should be sanded off before painting. I might paint one or two solid, and see how it looks. You could put a light inside to give the blue walls that illuminated forcefield whatever look.
The bottoms have holes and pegs, so they can lock in side by side, and they can be stacked. The blue smaller  panel with the droid silhouettes says "Mystery Droid" in Aurebesh.  Pretty cool little crates.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 02:59:26 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2022, 09:10:22 PM »
Cool...thanks for the tips. I ordered a couple and they should arrive Monday!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2022, 03:01:25 AM »
Nice, was eBay the platform you ordered from?

Time to get this on the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2022, 04:48:09 AM »
Nice, was eBay the platform you ordered from?

Time to get this on the front pages.

Yes I got them from ebay, he wasn't a power seller or anything he just had 7 and I bought 4 and I don't see them anymore.  But if you're interested I'd just keep checking every once in a while. Right now people want double retail value for the crates and droids. Retail is $14.99. So I think I got a good deal at $5 for the crates.

Cool...thanks for the tips. I ordered a couple and they should arrive Monday!

You probably got the last of what that guy had, I bought from. They're decent for their size, I got some crates from hole in the ground coming too. Hopefully I'll have a decent Imperial supply depot soon.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
  So I'm working on a Scarif Diorama, and I was doing some research on the different plants or flora found in the Maldives, specifically  Laamu Atoll, where Scarif was filmed. There are two predominant plants; coconut palms and Sceavola Taccada also known as Beach Naupaka, also beach cabbage/lettuce, found all over the Pacific and caribbean. So my challenge was to find an artificial version in scale with 3.75. I actually found something.
Yzzsjc 6pcs Aquarium Plants Fish Tank Decorations Medium Size Artificial Aquatic Plants Green Waterscape Fish Hides Tree Set Plastic Christmas Plant for Household and Office Aquarium Decorations https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F6DQSGW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_EMHNSST2HX3FJ6PCBSF7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just cut the branches off the main tree, and spray painted them, a darker green. The beach Naupaka is a mangrove type of tree, so I can stack these branches to make a bush.  It looks perfectly fine without permanently attaching them and It fits in great with my modular system. I got 2 packs, it also comes with several grass tufts, which are always good to have. I would love to find this type of artificial plant in bulk, but all I found was boxwood mats, which I bought and works fine but not as great.  So yeah that's my plant-geography lesson for today.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:02:10 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
So for the Beach Naupaka, I also bought this boxwood mat. SLSON Aquarium Decorations Grass Artificial Plastic Lawn 9 inches Square Landscape Green Plants for Saltwater Freshwater Tropical Fish Tank Decoration,with 8 Pcs Suction Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5Z4B5C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_T8GWYKJWM2TCH17TZV67?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It works okay. I pulled the pieces off the mat and put a half dozen or so through a scewer to make a bush, then painted dark green. Like the other type I'll call "fish tree", they can be stacked into a larger bush. The leaves are  heart-shaped, as opposed to the longer leaves of the fish tree. I left patches of the plant parts still attached to the mat, that I cut into squares for ground cover.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:06:01 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Man, love how you are actually researching the vegetation from the actual film location and then matching it up that way. Just great attention to detail here.

Thanks for sharing where to get it and how to use it. It looks great.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Man, love how you are actually researching the vegetation from the actual film location and then matching it up that way. Just great attention to detail here.

Thanks for sharing where to get it and how to use it. It looks great.

Off to share on the front pages.

Thank you! I just kept seeing the same plants in different scarif scenes and was curious what it is. Evidently that's the only thing that grows in that poor soil, other than coconut, and it's everywhere. It's almost as bad as Kudzu is here.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
I'm impressed JDeck. That is looking really outstanding. I think the boxwood mat is working out.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I asked JDeck if he could get me a link to a product you could use to make some bigger cages after we all started talking in Starchaser's custom thread when he share one of the new Jurassic World Cages.

Now these look like they would work great!

https://amzn.to/3xlxEr4

Thank you JDeck for sending me the link.