Author Topic: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...  (Read 53329 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Materials for Dioramas: Finding crates, parts and miscellaneous stuff...
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:04 AM »
Looks like a cool project.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »
Received a package with supplies from a model building store. Fantasywelt.de have a lot of great stuff! If you live in the UK or Germany, you can find almost everything there for your model building and crafting needs!

Can't wait to finally seal some of my latest repaints with these varnishes! The Satin varnish looks nice already on my Imperial Shock Trooper (w.i.p):

The right shin is sealed with a coat of Satin Varnish vs. none on the left one (still mat red). The Varnish makes the acrylic paint look nice and saturated. And most importantly: It looks even now whereas Tamiya's thin paint looked uneven at some spots before. Therefore I had to apply a second layer of color before.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:37:09 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Looks like you founds some good stuff.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
That holocron sphere is awesome looking. The paint really brought out the details on it. I think if it could be cut those spheres could make a cool decorative dome on a wall or rooftop too. If I ever see one I'll pick it up.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Thanks for sharing Philipp, I agree with JDeck, the spheres are cool. The Varnish is a great lead as well.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
wow
That is a lot of varnish and primer. Vallejo is the best.
The holocron sphere turned out great. It looks like it is made out of metal after the repaint.
Excellent work.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Tamer: Yes, they have all kinds of great materials in their assortment. But since they're also quite popular here, they are often sold out for weeks. I guess some supplies are hard to get and/or have long delivery schedules.

JDeck: Thank you! I'm quite happy with the dome even though I only did a sloppy job dry-brushing it. I guess this technique is quite forgiving. They're made of a plastic material similar to Plasticine. So it crumbles quite easily while being cut. But I'm sure with the right saw and maybe even water cooled it should be possible to cut. I might try it and let you know! But it's a great idea of yours to use it for walls and roof toppers! I could also make a mold of half the sphere and cast in plaster or similar cheap material. I even bought a kilogram of Plasticine a couple years ago. It has a smooth surface and is therefore often used to cast statues. I'll share some details soon as I bought it to cast Sith statues with it initially.

Starchaser: Thank you. Haven't seen these spheres anywhere ever since. That's why I love going to the most wicket stores because you never know what you're gonna find there. And it's also quite soothing to know that I can re-cast almost everything once I have one sample of an item. I'll experiment with them more once I make my first Jedi Temple diorama.
The brass one is going to be put on my first diorama of Korriban or Cato Neimoidia.

FialaFernbrugg: That's good to know. I'm such a greenhorn when it comes to paints. There are just so many different brands out there...I guess one can just go by "trial and error" unless you watch videos on YouTube as I did before I ordered these supplies.
I'm quite happy with how the sphere turned out. Might use spray paint on the next one. It'll be an interesting experiment for the Protocol Droid I'm going to paint in vac metal. By the way, thanks for reminding me that I have to keep my eyes open for a TLC BAD Death Star Droid...I'm sure Tunghori will have samples of the latest TVC release as well...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2021, 03:26:29 AM »
You can also see what I found on AliExpress by clicking here.

Here are a few examples of the cool stuff I got there:

Like Tamer already said, I could well see those trays in Jabba's Palace or in Don's Outpost 423. He already found so much cool stuff to decorate his latest diorama display! You should definitely take a look at this if you haven't done already.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:37:48 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2021, 01:56:38 PM »
Found more metal parts on AliExpress. This time around a few dozen metal cones arrived, which can be used as lanterns, torches or even drinking glasses! They come handy to add to your Jabba's or Boba's Palace or other cantina dioramas. There are all kinds of charms out there, which could be useful for 1/18 and 1/12 scale needs! Have fun!

Check out what else I found on AliExpress here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:25:52 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2021, 03:53:56 AM »
Nice, what term did you use to search for these?

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2021, 04:10:10 AM »
Sorry, Tamer I simply forgot to provide links. Well, you can basically look for "beads" or "charms" preferably "metal beads" or so. But I tell you, it takes a lot of time to find something useful for our hobby. A lifetime is not enough to explore them all on AliExpress...

Here are the links embedded:

120 pieces for ~$2.30 and FREE shipping!
"Brass Cup"
"Golden Cup"

60 pieces for ~$2.30 and FREE shipping!
"Brass Torch"
"Golden Torch"

They're all from the same seller with FREE worldwide shipping! I paid 2.05€ for each 60 pieces. And I will so add some LEDs to them! They seem to be perfect for that little idea.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2021, 03:47:57 AM »
Thanks, that will make things easier.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2021, 06:29:50 AM »
Received the "golden cups" from AliExpress now. I'm going to use those parts for some dioramas of Jabba's or Boba's Palace and of Cato Neimoidia.

You can take a closer look at my latest custom Ugnaught figure here.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
Nice, these will definitely make some great Barge pieces.

I could see you adding these to the servo R2's too.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »
Yesterday, the latest parts I ordered 3 weeks ago arrived. One design was sold out, so they sent me one of the other twice instead:

I was inspired by a bunch of easy custom figures which Toys Are The Way made and shared on YouTube:

Custom Star Wars Figures? Bounty Hunters & Smugglers?The Vintage Collection
[/b][/size][/color]

And as Don already did, he also provides links to Marauder Inc.: https://www.marauderinc.com/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:06:38 AM by Darth More »