Author Topic: My First Custom Painted vehicals  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: My First Custom Painted vehicals
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
Oh my, how have I missed this thread! Sometimes my show unread post button does not bring everythng up. Thanks for the shout out I do enjoy customizing vehicles. You have some great work on display here. Love the paint aps and weathering but the lights really put your ships over the top! Can't wait to see more from you!

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Does anybody else find it funny that in the late 70's we got lights and sounds, in the late 80's we got just sounds, in the late 90's it was speech effects and now another 10 years down the road we are reduced to spring loaded guns?

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Yes, very surprised.... Hasbro are even using old moulds in the case of the A-Wing, there's even the old battery compartment....The paint jobs are improving though!

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
Hey there, Finn
  Nice work and I apologize for not swinging by earlier to send off some good vibes your way. Good to see you're already getting some tips from the Master, Jules.

I wondered what he used to get that fine chipping in his paint. I just discovered another method, I used some of my wife's lotion to mask the areas I wanted to be chipped. I also sprinkled some sea salt on the areas where I applied the lotion to give it a rough look...and it actually worked. Of course, I was just improvising on the spot when I realized I had nothing to mask my parts.

Again, good work and can't wait to see what you do with the Shuttle and the X-Wings..I can never find one with a reasonable price.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
wow, superb work, wants me to do paintings of this favorite Star Wars ships, very inspiring !

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
Thanks for all the wonderful replies guys. I hope to have some more stuff done soon that I can post and show off.

I had posted in Screaming Samurai Studio's thread about nose art for the B-wings and going for a classic WWII style

Well I got bored tonite and decided to mock up some nose art and I think I got sometihng that I like alot.

Now this artwork is off the net and not drawn by anyone I know but it serves my purpose and is the style that I am trying to get done by my lazy lil bro!
Well here it is and let me know what you think guys.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 06:13:18 AM »
well, I very much love nose art and added some on my vehicles too, I think this subject will be used in every century.
I just not sure if the troopers are allowed or willing to use ore name their princess in this way instead of a powerful woman. Sexy nose art is okay, but then it should be just a trooper pin up for example. Also I have no problem with x-rated stuff but find it unappropriate for nose art. There are sure rules even in the SW army to tell what is allowed and not. But thats the way I see things.
Definitely go for nose art!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 06:17:58 AM »
Finn, that second image is no doubt X Rated, so it had to be removed. Please remember we have many younglings about and we don't want to have such images on display. I am sorry, I hate sensoring art, but this simply isn't the place for that image. I hope you understand.

I like the idea but am with Stephan, would they actualy use their princess in this manner?

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 06:27:50 AM »
Thanks for your insight and feelings on nose art and the do's and don’ts. In general nose art was always an "off the books" or a " non regulation paint application" as my Grandfather used to call it. The solders and flyers took it upon themselves to name and care for their craft as if it was a person and if treated kindly and with affection would deliver them safely back to base to see another mission.

The brass always frowned on the nose art in an official capacity but a blind eye was turned towards it in practice. I will have to get the photos my father has scanned and show some of the nose art my Grandfather and Uncle helped to make while they were serving. Some of it is just like the second photo I posted! Also some of the language used was obscene as well. I recall seeing one that read "F*@K You Toda" on the nose!

As far as using a Princess that has been dead for over 20 years (by the time a B-Wing was in service) as nose art I don't see that being a problem personally. I am sure the one of Leia Organia Solo on her "wedding" night would have to get repainted after the deck officer saw it! The classic Leia is one of the most iconic symbols of the Rebellion so I feel this would be let by.

Also I feel that the Rebels were more likely to allow the personal expression where as the Empire was a more strictly regulated and wouldn't all anything of the sort. One great example is the fact that the 181st TIE Squadron simply used a red stripe on the solar panels to show who they were verses any type of other visual clues.

I was looking for a sexy female Rebel trooper but I couldn't find one. Plenty of Stormtroopers and Tie Pilots out on the web that are Pinup styled but none for the Rebels. If anyone has any Pinup styled female Rebels please feel free to post them and I will see what I can make out of them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:12:00 AM by finn »

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 06:30:16 AM »
Finn, that second image is no doubt X Rated, so it had to be removed. Please remember we have many younglings about and we don't want to have such images on display. I am sorry, I hate sensoring art, but this simply isn't the place for that image. I hope you understand.

I like the idea but am with Stephan, would they actualy use their princess in this manner?

No hard feelings and not a problem at all. I made sure that no "naughty" parts were actually there but I can understand why that one needed to be removed. Can I re-attach the other one to that post?

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »
Sorry all for the last image that was attached I am now straight (I think ) on the rules so here is the one that should be ok to view old and young (well not too young) alike.

Spookymufu

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
I like that one WAY better.....but I'm not a PT fan so...

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:45 AM »
You like the classic Princess Leia better Spookymufu? Is that what you ment?

Spookymufu

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
yes......thats it...

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »
Cool your input is noted. Thanks Spookymufu.