Author Topic: Q&A by members for members  (Read 12782 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Q&A by members for members
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 03:53:33 AM »
This was my first site, so here I stay.

And things like this is why I keep the fire stoked. Thanks Starchaser for the comments.

I so agree, there is just no way for me to be involved on all the stuff out there.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 11:30:44 PM »
I made an Instagram account about a year ago. It's alright, honestly I've only made 10 posts. In that year ive seen Instagram go from picture oriented to video oriented to compete with Tiktok. That was the whole point of Instagram was about pictures. I see guys that have been on there far longer than me, many who where regular members here, get sidelined by reels. How do you make reels in our hobby?  You can, they aren't great. I see Instagram becoming less user friendly. Forums they're all about photography. However with Instagram and other outlets you can get perks and kickbacks, which I couldn't give two shits about. It's the way of things.
Which brings me to the con of forums, they're becoming less mobile friendly. The last update, i cant even see the front page. I click the banner and instead of sending me to the front it takes me back to the forum. I dunno if it's because of being mobile or what but.. same with posting pictures mobile. I've had difficulty, but figured it out, and have instructed new members how to, but I think that's a hindrance. Even though i have a pc/ laptop i still use my phone a vast majority of the time. Being mobile friendly is important. But im a millennial.
With so many game changers, you have to change the way you play the game.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 12:07:54 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 04:17:32 AM »
Yeah, we were migrated to a new server and a bit of the forums got messed up. I need to find the code for the banner and get it set to the right address again. That is a bluehost issue, but ah don't get me started on ISPs.

As for being phone friendly, I get it, but for the life of me I don't know why the smf forums developers won't develop a mobile app for smf forums. Maybe my next hobby will be learning how to develop phone apps. Still, I can't stand to surf the web on anything other than a computer. My wife, on the other hand, never sets her phone down so I get it.

I still prefer a setting like this to any other social media sites I have tried (FB, Twitter, Insta, etc.).

I also like that you can embed videos now in smf. Still, I don't think any platform is gonna be perfect.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 08:18:26 AM »
I am happy to report that the forums banner at the top is now fixed and goes to the main page. Only took me three hours to find the header code. Argh!!!!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 02:10:20 AM »
My Question to everyone: What is the advantage to you of still using a forum like Imperial Shipyards in times of Facebook, Instagram and all those places? What do you like most about the concept of a forum like this?

What I enjoy most about this forum is the community we have here. It's a place that feels like home for me.
From my technical perspective I love the forum because it's organized and I can even open new sub-categories. This is the major advantage of our forum in my opinion: having categories!
On Facebook and Instagram it's close to impossible to find a specific post, picture or comment a second time, unless you saved it right away. All the socials are so much more transitory.
I prefer something that remains.

Add: The search function of the forum works very well, too!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:15:15 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 06:00:07 AM »
I hate to even say this, but it looks like a developer has made some inroads into developing an android app for smf forums. I am gonna look into it.

It looks like I would have to learn how to make apps, but the guy has done a lot of the work already.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »
That would be pretty cool! An imperial shipyards app. But thats totally up to you tamer, id understand if it was problematic. But yeah the banner works great now. I wasn't sure why it wasn’t working, but you fixed it.

Toy photography has gained a lot of steam lately, thats the biggest trend. I'm going more that route. Perhaps in time we can have a toy photography section. It's almost like dioramas, but not really. It's kind of a class of it's own. Technically we're all toy photographers.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 11:00:29 AM »
I think I added tapatalk directly to the forums. I am on my phone now. Let's try uploading a picture.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 11:08:54 AM »
Wow, it worked. I know just enough to get myself into trouble. Anyhow all you need to do is go to your App Store and search for tapatalk:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity&hl=en

Once you open it up it will want you to follow groups, but if you scroll to the bottom and type in Imperial Shipyards it will come up. I am not sure it gives you all the stuff you can do on the computer, but I know for sure it does let you type and upload pictures.

There is a free version and a paid pro version, but the free version has a small ad at the bottom you have to see, but it didn't seem too bad imo.

JDeck try her out and let me know what you think.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
Darth More's Q and A Area has already netted folks an entirely new way to access the Yards!

Now to get to thinking about some questions for our members.

One I have for everyone is what are your interests outside of customizing and AF Collecting?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
Yeah it's working. Good deal.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
One I have for everyone is what are your interests outside of customizing and AF Collecting?

I'm gonna ask that one with a picture:

Spending time with my family & friends.

Beyond that: STAR WARS is my life!  ;D
- university takes most of my time, but I love what I do!
- in my rare spare time:
-- model building & wood working
-- mountain biking
-- diving
-- cars
-- drawing & painting
-- collecting merch of Pokémon, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, T-shirts
-- and music is a big part of my life! Music plays along with all the stuff above. I love listening to music while customizing figures for example. Especially soundtracks.

My full description is here for everyone who's interested  :)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:02:33 PM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 08:21:51 AM »
I don't know if you can call it a hobby but I've been getting into home bartending. First time having a home bar. I always went out, I thought drinking at home was sad and boring, but now I have the opposite opinion. I go out, order a drink, and they either don't have the ingredients or they have no idea what it is I'm ordering. My bar is growing. I make a new drink every week or so, until the ingredients run out or go bad.  I got spotify hooked up to my TV, I just need live TV and sports packages, and I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:04:38 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 11:00:35 AM »
I can sure understand staying home. Man, nice looking bar.

And Philipp that is one great answer.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 01:31:15 AM »
I‘m on my phone now using Tapatalk.
Got the free version yesterday and uploaded 3 pictures of my latest store report. The free version only allows me to upload pictures in medium quality, which didn’t convince me.
I much prefer being on my computer anyways, but I still think this will be practical at some point when I’m on a convention and share my impressions there directly with you.
I will have to think about the option of paying $35.99 for a life-long premium membership. The premium option allows me to upload high res pics as well.

My biggest hope of this app is that it will drive more members to our forum.
I‘m going to promote it on Instagram as well for all smartphone users.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk