Author Topic: My Star Wars  (Read 12981 times)

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
My Star Wars
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:35:13 AM »
Hello,
Here is my small collection of various Star Wars.

That's all that I have photo's of for now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:53:31 PM by rastanz »

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
Re: My Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »
Very cool collection!
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
Very cool collection!

Thanks, I don't have that much shelf space so some are still boxed.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 02:25:43 AM »
You do have some great stuff!

I also liked the before and after photos on those Anakin heads. Off to the front pages.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
I agree with Tamer. Wow! So much awesome stuff of all different scales to look at! I really like your customs, especially the Darth Jar Jar one! Also your lightsaber collection is very impressive! What are you going to do with your massive fleet of model kits? Are they all from AMT and Bandai?

The Sith mask looks fantastic, too! Is it the one from The Old Republic? Do you have a costume for cosplay?

Did you make the resin kit of the Millenium Falcon by youself?

So much great stuff and so many questions...thanks for sharing!

- Philipp

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:10:07 AM »
You do have some great stuff!

I also liked the before and after photos on those Anakin heads. Off to the front pages.

Thanks for the comment on my Anakin's.

I used a soft bristled brush with heavily thinned Vallejo acrylics for the base color and for details like eye's, brow's and so on, I used a micro brush and toned down on the thinner, I then highlighted the facial scars, shadows and red shading below and around evil Anakin's eyes with pastel chalk.

They're my very first attempts with head sculpts and painting tiny detail, I fogged my magnify goggles up a few times due to nervous sweat ;D

I agree with Tamer. Wow! So much awesome stuff of all different scales to look at! I really like your customs, especially the Darth Jar Jar one! Also your lightsaber collection is very impressive! What are you going to do with your massive fleet of model kits? Are they all from AMT and Bandai?

The Sith mask looks fantastic, too! Is it the one from The Old Republic? Do you have a costume for cosplay?

Did you make the resin kit of the Millenium Falcon by youself?

So much great stuff and so many questions...thanks for sharing!

- Philipp

Thank you very much.

The Jar Jars were gifts from two separate nieces both on Christmas day, rather than having them both look the same, I dressed one using clothing from a damaged Hasbro 1/6 scale Anakin figure, to my nieces approval, she now calls him Darth Binky.

The lightsabers are a mix of Master Replia's, ForceFX and Kyberforge customs.

The Vader is a 2007 Master Replica which is smaller in size compared to the earlier 2003 release (more closer in size to the ESB version), the rubber hand grips on the hilt are also shorter compared to the 2003 where they touched the edge of the ring band below the activation switch.

The Mauls are also Master Replica's both with removable blades, the Anakin Saber is a ForceFX and the Dark Saber and Black Darth Maul are both Kyberforge customs.
Both the Dark Saber and Black Darth Maul have multiple sound fonts that you access by pressing/holding the on/off button for 3 seconds, both sabers have flash on clash and multiple LED which allows you to cycle through 7 colors via double pressing on/off button, and thanks to the dueling blades they're also heavy as f..k.

I'm only a novice when it comes to building model kits and I rarely keep what I build and usually just gift them away to friends.

Yes you are correct, mostly AMT/MPC/ERTL Fine Molds and Bandai kits with a few garage kits from various modelers thrown in.

I also dress up the cheaper Hasbro kits for fun just so they don't look so toyish. I customized this AT-ACT as a gift for a friend.

The Sith Acolyte mask is indeed from The Old Republic, I bought it and a Mortal Kombat Scorpion mask from a seller on Esty.
The full armor was a bit out of my budget so I just dress in my Darth Maul gear and wear an Acolyte robe.

The resin Millennium Falcon kit is about 10 years old, made from a lighter resin, it is cast in 1/48 scale by former SMT and mastered by the talents of Alfred Wong, a well known modeler in the modeling community.

If you have any other questions about my collection, I'll try answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks again for your input.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:13:49 AM by rastanz »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »
That AT-ACT looks awesome! I bet that friend had a smile on their face when they received that.

Off to share to the front page.

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:54 AM »
Just bought this AT-ST to add to my growing collection, I will be giving it a complete repaint detailing it with some greebles.

Modding 1/6 scale Yoda figure:

Bought this lil' guy cheap, he has a nice head sculpt and the detailing is awesome.
Didn't really like the clean look of someone that's suppose to live in a 'slimy mud hole' so I modified him.

Firstly I stripped him down and bathed him in some warm soapy water and then I air dried him off.

I used some soft blu-tac to mold onto his eyes to avoid getting any wash or paint on them then mixed some light green and brown acrylic paints to achieve a darker tone, I thinned it with water to use as a wash.

I applied the wash heavily and used my heat gun to speed up the drying process then wiped away most of the excess leaving the wash in the wrinkled area's.

When I was happy with the tone, using a soft dry brush I applied a mix of colored pastels onto random areas to further create shadows.

I used cotton wool to achieve his hair by tearing apart a bundle of wool so it was all frizzy, applying some Tamiya extra thin cement on the areas of his head that I wanted hair, then dabbed the wool on before the cement had a chance to dry.

Don't worry if you add too much hair, once it drys you can pluck some of it off by use of model tweezers, try and pluck in an outward direction away from the scalp so it keeps the cotton wool standing on end all frizzy like.

Next I gathered the lower part of his robe into a bunch and used my scissors to snip away around the hem, I cut randomly in a random zig zag motion and frayed it so the edge of the hem would look worn and tattered then I weathered it with pastels focusing on the crease areas.

Weathered his walking stick with a mix of a thin brown and black wash.

I used a combination of light brown wash and soft pastels to weather his belt.

It's a huge improvement over what he first looked like, now not so toyish... I may add a touch more weathering to his robe but I think there is enough on there already, my camera just isn't picking it up.

Next mod: Hot Toys Sideshow Collectibles head swap.

I did a head sculpt swap on my second 1/6 scale Sideshows ANH Darth Vader, I'll go into detail of that another time because that was a huge time consuming job because the parts, limbs and connectors on both are completely different in shape and size and aren't swappable or compatible with each other.

Here's a comparison photo of the finished mod anyway.

Cheers

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:39:01 AM »
Wow, that Yoda is off the charts great. Wow, so much better. Thanks for detailing the process. I look forward to seeing what you do with that AT-ST too. And the Vader looks great as well. All kinds of good stuff.

off to share that Yoda.

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:39 AM »
Wow, that Yoda is off the charts great. Wow, so much better. Thanks for detailing the process. I look forward to seeing what you do with that AT-ST too. And the Vader looks great as well. All kinds of good stuff.

off to share that Yoda.

Thank you very much.

I'm back after a bit of hiatus and loads of work, I haven't been doing much modifications lately but I have been snatching up a few Star Wars bargains on eBay (photos to come).

Come to think of it, I did do an update on a recent upgraded mod.

My 1/6 scale Hasbro Anakin to Darth Vader figure toy of which I hacked at, sawed, cut, trimmed, subtracted from and added too using 1/6 Sideshow Collectibles Darth Vader spare parts.

I love the Hasbro figure because of the electronics built into it, being able to play audio dialog from the movies of either Anakin or Darth Vader's famous quotes was it's biggest draw card for me.

In saying that, I decided to keep the figure in Vader mode only reason being that I already have two Anakin figures.

Here's the figure in all it's original plastic looking glory...

My plan was to mask, hide or remove as many of the pieces that made the figure look toyish and give him a completely new facelift, so the first thing I did was remove all of the clothing (which consisted of just the cape), shoulder armour and anything that wasn't glued or screwed down.

I knew what I wanted to achieve so I continued to measure and mark above and below his belt then used my hobby saw to make slots for his new tunic to slide into on both left and right sides of the moulded front piece.

Now using a philips head screw driver I removed all the screws that held the body together, there's a total of ten screws to remove which are located on the back of the figure, this had to be done to completely remove the head sculpt from the body and gain access to the activation switch that controlled both the Anakin and Vader modes.

After peeling off his sculpted hair which seemed to have a qazillion layers of glue holding it on, removing a further two more screws dismantled the remaining Anakin head sculpt.

Note: Removing the sculpted hair was tedious, plus you need to be careful that you don't accidentally tear the wires out from the switch that is secured on the inside by the two screws holding the head together.

Once completed, I wrapped a thin strip of tape around the box and over the switch to hold it into Vader mode then tucked it safely away into the body cavity.

Next I had to conjure up a makeshift neck and head connector for I had no spares long enough that would secure the new head onto the body, so... I used two shorter neck connectors, a double-ball end male neck connection and mounted a spring between them for added tension to avoid ending up with a floppy head.

I also mounted a spacer ring over one of the connectors to secure to the inside lip of the head sculpt and helmet.

I prepared the head, mask and helmet and did a dry fit to test.

After a few tweaks here and there with the helmet once I was satisfied all the connectors were in place and working as should, I refitted the armour, his new Sideshow Collectibles tunic and cape and I also dumped that awful looking broom handle of a Lightsaber and replaced it with a more streamlined tapered blade.

The new head popped on without issues and was a perfect fit for the connectors, the modified helmet (done recently) slid on with no troubles, electronics test, a bit of futsing around with the cape and tunic and he was complete.

I'm satisfied with his new appearance now that I rid of his toyish plasticy look, there's one part I'll need to revisit later on when I acquire the replacement piece (shoulder armour), the tunic wouldn't comfortably slip over the armour because the original part is too bulky... so he'll have to wear his tunic in ESB mode for now.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
Wow, now that is some upgrade. I like it a lot.

Off to share your latest update.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Outstanding work mate.

Ron

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »
Wow, now that is some upgrade. I like it a lot.

Off to share your latest update.
Outstanding work mate.

Ron

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciate it.

Been a little busy with real world stuff recently spending three weeks in the USA (Cali & Vegas) and Hawaii on tour with the band I play bass in.

I've been home for a little over 2 weeks and during my downtime, started some updates on both my 1/6 Sideshow Anakin's, started on a modified 1/6 Sideshow Han Solo (Bespin version) and a 1/6 Hasbro Han Solo (Hoth version with Taun Taun), but I'll leave that huge post for another day... so mean while... I took on a much smaller modification.

1/6 Sideshows modified ROTJ Luke.

Accessories include:
1 Lightsaber hilt w/ ignited blade
1 Lightsaber hilt
1 Femur bone from Rancor battle
1 Force Wield left hand
1 Gloved right hand
1 Blaster damaged right hand
1 Lightsaber grip left hand
1 Lightsaber grip right hand
1 12-inch Figure Stand with C-shape clasp and Star Wars logo on the base.

Modifying 1/6 figures are now quite easy to do compared to when I first started, I had no clue where to begin which was a little nerve racking, but since my first couple of trial and errors, successes and failures, I now have my do's and don't's all sorted.

So it always begins with a complete strip down of the figure mainly to check it's articulation and joints for any faults or repairs that I may need to do.
It's also an ideal time to add any extra padding and filling if I think it's a little on the skinny side and needs to be buffed up.

After warming the neck area with my heat gun I then popped off the original Sideshows head sculpt (pictured on the left) to replace it with a Hot Toys version (pictured on the right).

The Hot Toys eye brows needed a bit of touch up and the face was a little too shiny so sprayed a mist of Testors dull coat over it to knock back the shine.

The Sideshows cloak seems a little small in size around the upper chest and shoulder area, the cloak refused to drape naturally and posing the figure in the ROTJ "Jabba's Palace" scene where he has it closed whilst standing over the Rancor pit was troublesome... since I couldn't achieve the pose I wanted I just positioned him holding his ignited Saber and Force Wield hand.

His belt is nicely crafted although it needed a bit of coaxing for it to buckle securely around his waist over both his Tunic and sash.

I know he doesn't wear his tunic like that but to avoid having it bunch up to the point where his belt wouldn't fit, I chose to cross overlap it so I could hook his belt on.

Wasn't completely happy with it, I sat and stared at the figure for ages trying to figure out what is up with that damned Tunic... for the life of me I just had to fix it, so after a second strip down and a further examination of his tunic I discovered that it had pleats on the back of it which keeps it from bunching.
I hadn't noticed it earlier and I honestly completely missed it because the material looked like it was ironed flat.

I folded the pleats following the faint lines where they supposedly meant to crease and presto, fixed it eliminating the cross overlap at the front and also relieving the stress on the belt buckle.

Quite one of the easiest mods I've done in a while where everything but the mysterious tunic pleats just fell into place, and I can finally sit back and say, another mod down and completed.

Cheers.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 07:28:01 AM »
Good lord!
If I can forget about the stuff before, I’m still picking my jaw up after Vader
  Your vision of refined perfection is exciting.
Luke turned out great

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:50 AM »
That Luke looks so much better.

Looking forward to your Hoth Projects.

Off to share your update.