Author Topic: Redarmy's Workbench. Slave 1 and a German tank currently!  (Read 10562 times)

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
Re: Finemolds' Slave 1
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback!

Currently, Slave 1 is on the shelf do to an accident...apparently some thinner smashed onto it and stared to melt some spots....so I have it in some fluid to get the crust off of it and I'll see what I can do from there.  I don't think it'll be too bad!

Hi. What did you use for the dirt/dust in between the foot stones on your warlord base? It almost looks like super-fine pieces of dried leaves!

Those are actually bits of seed pods from a tree around here; they actually do look a lot like mape leaves!

So while Slave 1 is on the backburner, I went forward with my tank that I'm working on.

After getting a great book for my birthday, I decided to take a different approach to my E-100.  Why not something….frosty?  So I stripped the tank down, took to the hairspray method and went to work.

I applied a camo scheme seen a lot on the Eastern front as I wanted to simulate this tank being in an SS company pushing back towards the east.  I then applied a white wash, took to heavily weathering it and then I applied an ochre filter. Next I’ll be mapping more spots with white enamel paint to create the look of reapplied white washes, but I’ll save that for later as it’s been a long night.

Still a long way to go. Next up, mapping and some OPR!

All the best,
Jake
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:11:37 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Redarmy's Workbench. Slave 1 and a German tank currently!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 03:15:05 AM »
Looks good to me. Hope to see that Slave I again too! Off to share.

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
Good evening ladies and gents,

I think I may have fixed my errors on Slave 1, but we’ll see. The thinner than dumped on the hull did some damage….I might have to order a new one, but I’ll make a final determination this weekend.  I REALLY want to build this kit.  I have the LED’s and the fiber optics here now so I’m chomping at the bit.

I made some further progress on the E-100 tonight, specifically the turret.  I added some enamel paint here and there to give the effect of reapplied whitewashes.  I also tried my hand at some Eduard stenciling for the insignias!

As always, C&C is appreciated.

All the best,
Jake

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
Jake the white wash looks great.

Ron

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
Jake the white wash looks great.

Ron

Thanks Ron!

Sad news, the hull of Slave 1 was messed up pretty bad from the lacquer thinner being dumped.  It looks like I'll need to order a new kit because I'll need a new body.  Argh.....

Anyways, not too much more progress tonight.  I went to work carefully adding more of the whitewash mapping layers. I’ll be doing some oils, filters and pin washes here shortly.

As always, C&C is appreciated.  I'm really bummed about the Slave 1 body.  All the detail of the hull on the right side was nearly eaten away.  I'm pretty sure there's no way I could fix that.

All the best,
Jake

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:38 AM »
Been meaning to get this update posted and now I have as this paint work looks stellar.

I would seriously like to see this on a SW Ground Vehicle. Like a Walker. Just sayin.  ;D

I think it would look fantastic.

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »
I would too!  My local shop just got a Fine Molds Tie Fighter and Y Wing, but nothing for the ground yet though :(.  I may have an excuse for a special order now!! 8)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
Great looking paint/weathering techniques! Man that is so sad that the Slave 1 has been eaten away.

Spookymufu

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
sometimes the Germans put the whitewash on pretty slap-dash with a mop or other available rag or what ever, will you be depicting that in the model?

Love the weathering so far, looks great

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
I know...I'm rather miffed about Slave 1.  I actually emailed them and asked if I could order the two halves that I need. I'm wondering if I could get them or not.  Otherwise, I'll just order a whole new kit.  Argh.

sometimes the Germans put the whitewash on pretty slap-dash with a mop or other available rag or what ever, will you be depicting that in the model?

Love the weathering so far, looks great

Thanks!  I'm actually going to do a mixture of the different techniques to make it look like they applied it different ways whenever they could.

So in the meantime...should I do an AT-AT or an AT-ST??

Jake

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Always go AT-AT if that is in the question.

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Always go AT-AT if that is in the question.

Sounds good....but MUST it be snow??  If so, I'll weather the hell out of it to add some nice contrast.  Maybe we could raffle it off when we're done for charity? Could be fun!

I haven't heard anything back from Fine Molds yet about getting the replacement parts for Slave 1.  I hope to hear soon.

I didn't make too much more progress tonight.  I’m in the fine details stage of the beast so it’s coming to a crawl now.  I was going to originally enter this in a contest set for the 21 of September, but I won’t be able to make it due to a wedding.  So, I have an entire extra year to get this guy just right and the base I’m creating for it.

Pin washing, filters and oil paint rendering will be the name of the game for the next 10 or so hours of this project.

As always, C&C is appreciated.

All the best,

Jake

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
This is looking brillant, I am very impressed with the white wash as you have layered it perfectly it look svery very realistic, I'm also enjoying the weathering as well.

Keep up the amazing work.

Ron

Offline redarmy27

• Cadet
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:20:07 AM »
This is looking brillant, I am very impressed with the white wash as you have layered it perfectly it look svery very realistic, I'm also enjoying the weathering as well.

Ron

Thanks!  Our shop here just got a snowspeeder in from Fine Molds.  I thought about picking that up and having a whirl at it using the same techniques.

Jake

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:58 AM »

Ron

Thanks!  Our shop here just got a snowspeeder in from Fine Molds.  I thought about picking that up and having a whirl at it using the same techniques.

Jake

I think you should with the way you are doing the washes and weathering the snowspeeder would like a studio model.

Ron