Author Topic: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 289 Cobra  (Read 30149 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 289 Cobra
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
That looks great! You're really doing some amazing work on these lighting projects, they really make the cars look real.
Especially when they are so fast, starchaser. Some cars, like this one have so much power and torque that from a dead stop, they can just get airborne or when they are traveling at a scale speed of 120mph ,”around 4 full scale mph”, and you punch it, you can see the front end sway from side to side as the rear tires lose their traction and the torque rocks the rear end back and forth like a real rear wheel drive car with that much power would. It’s like they are brutally accelerating when you are doing this so the 12-Straight feet of my longest current straightaway go by pretty fast. You gotta be on your toes.
It’s hilarious to watch sometimes.

That straightaway should grow in length with the rest of the course by about 4 feet after I get the table moved. I can’t wait
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:17:13 AM by Clonehead »

Offline rastanz

• Darth Wannawanga
  • Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
I like the nano lighting, awesome work.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
Agreed the lighting makes all the difference and makes them more realistic.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:03 AM »
Sorry for the absence fellows. I agree
Got me another 1/32 Cheetah here. One of the smaller racers I have multiples of and one of the fastest on the track because of its size.

Factory carrera red chips were glued inside the rear valance for the tail lights and Just Plug 20Ma orange chips were glued on either side of the front wheels in the wheel wells to what is supposed to be a radiator mount/front suspension detail. 
  This version had the front headlight lenses painted the body color so I left them alone
  A good way to test your lights without having to use your track is a nine volt battery. The voltage is enough to run the lights but not fry anything too important if there is a problem.
  I fried two chips last week. One got shorted out while testing on the track and another fried after I ran too much power through the tailight circuits of the chip. Turns out I could have configured those lights to use less power but didn’t see the risk and took the easy route.
  I will have to re work that car again when I get a spare digital chip
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:58:23 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
More cheetah shots on the longer track layout
I threw in a 1/24th scale version for size comparisons
As you can see, the pit lane is now much longer

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:54 PM »
I did clock the blue cheetah today doing 16 MPH down the longest 16 foot long straightaway. At 1/32 scale, that’s a cool 512 scale MPH! Much too fast for any corner.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 04:05:14 AM »
This track and cars look like so much fun. You are living every kids dream now Clint. Off to share this too.

Once again, its just great to see you back around.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
Back on another stingray, buddy.
  Vintage spirit of USA body on a newer digital ready frame with chip#2, this time. This is the light array that fried chip #1 last week.
I had opted to just drill out the two fog light holes and the four tailight holes and mount the nano leds without a covering lense. With the lights on, you won’t notice and they will be nice and bright.
I had wired all four nano lights to the rear in parallel rather than in a series and apparently that was too much for that circuit of the chip and it burnt out after a few laps around the track.

Rewired into a series now, with the front fog lights split between the two front light channels on the chip to be safe, they look good with the battery and in the test control unit.
  I’ll try it on the real track tomorrow and see if the chip can handle it this time. Fingers crossed.
Weird, I had been chipping these cars for going on 2 years now and hadn’t fried a chip till last week and went for 2 in one day.

The difference in the brightness of the tailights in the last two shots shows just illuminated tailights vs a brighter indication of braking.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2020, 03:59:38 AM »
Oh yeah, thats nice too. Back to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »
I did take the stingray for a test run on the track last night.
Everything is cool with the new light configuration and she ran pretty fast. I clocked a speed of 16mph. That’s 512 scale miles per hour

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2020, 04:03:14 AM »
Sounds pretty fast to me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 1/24 Porsche 917k
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2020, 04:54:36 AM »
Here was yesterday’s project
   We had talked about the Porsche 917K and how all of the scale representations didn’t have working tailights. I had added tailights to a 1/32 scale version but hadn’t tried a 1/24th scale version. As of yet, I haven’t tried to add lights to any of the larger scale cars so, here we go.
     Factory equipped with front headlights mounted high, These larger versions have lenses for lower front fog lights with a clear pass through from behind, supposedly for a die hard like me to light up from behind. This is a common practice among the manufacturers and has been for years. At the other end, the tail lights are mounted on this piece that is separate from the cars body. Both red and amber lenses are represented on each side, both again with light pass through points in the back.
     The front fogs got amber nanos as did the rear running/signal lights.
I wasn’t sure about the max power pushed through the chip for the factory front lights which are larger led bulbs so I opted to power the front fogs and the rear running lights directly from track power before it hits the chip leaving them illuminated all the time but not risking the chip. The front ones were wired in parallel and the tears in sequence. With all getting resistors, the two in sequence should run a little dimmer, that way, those bright ambers don’t outshine the little reds in the back too much. I want to be able to see em. The rear brake lights are the red nanos connected to the unused rear light channel on the chip. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the rear valances to run the wires and superglued all of the lights in place.
  It did take a while but I’m happy with the results. It’s a neat option to be able to turn off the mail lights and just have those ambers going.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:20:10 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2020, 04:55:43 AM »
More pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
I lit up another big 917K this morning. The Gespa racer has yellow markings so I went with yellow fog lights this time.
  I wish the back reds were a little brighter. I need to find some that are a bit bigger.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
They look great Clint. Man what fun it would be to spend an afternoon racing cars on this!