Author Topic: The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic game thread  (Read 9341 times)

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Re: The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic game thread
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
Well TOR-Day is almost upon us, my new PC and all the gibbons are ready to go, the game client is installed, my subscription in place and I'm ready to hit it!

I'm on a late shift today so I should (all going well) get home for 0100 - the servers come online at 0500, not much sleep for me LOL!

I'm thinking of starting off with a Jedi tank character. I'll be back with my newbie views in a few days...

WB out!!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
SWTOR has not been a smooth ride for me - firstly I was one of a huge number of folk who suffered from the Security Question bug (basically where our accounts kept getting locked out due to the database mixing up our questions and related answers!) 3.5 hours of telephone 'hold' music and eventually a customer service rep sorted that out though!

And next?Even though I was up for the 0500 launch I didn't get off to a flying start!

Firstly I was one of a large number of players whose account was delayed 'going live' by about an hour, then I had another well known problem, the "infamous black screen" which after an hour and a half of cursing was sorted out with a two min registry change...

Then I was in...holy poop this is fun. I've lost lots of hours on Skyrim recently but this is truly awesome. Not the prettiest of games but it runs nicely on my new PC. I haven't had a touch of lag and I'm playing on a full server...

I've spent a solid 10 hours today building up a Jedi 'tank' and I still haven't left the nursery areas! I'm a mere level 8.5!

As Phatty said, getting used to  mouse and keys is taking some time after years of joypads, but other than the less than stellar start, the game has come on in leaps and bounds IMO.

So far I'd say Customer Service 5/10 vs The Game 8.5/10. It's early days yet though...

Hope to see someone you on there...

WB out!!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
I'll be picking mine up later today, and hope they have SOME of these bugs out of the system already, though I highly doubt it.  I'm still unsure if I'm going to go Jedi or Sith yet, as I tested both classes and liked them.  Looking forward to playing soon!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 05:20:51 AM »
Since the above bugs were fixed it has been plain sailing for me!

I played for a total of 13 hours on day 1 (!!!) and managed to put in another two yesterday. My Jedi guardian is now level 12 and I've escaped the nursery area and am questing on Coruscant.

This game is fantastic - but comes into its own when you are part of a group. Last night Vic and I were playing side by side and fighting our way through hordes of lightsaber fodder!

As I'm new to MMOs it is taking me a while to get to grips with the mechanics, but the whole experience is polished and fun.

Can't wait to see where my character's story takes me. A couple more sessions of grafting and I should have my own ship and when I get to level 25 I can use my STAP!

My rig is running the game extremely well, max graphics and no lag at all...

More soon

WB out!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:22:54 AM »
Man, I am green with envy. Glad it is so good. When I get high speed internet at my home, this is gonna be my first online gaming experience.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
I had no issues getting everything loaded up and ready to play.  I put in a couple of hours yesterday before I had things to do, and got my Jedi Knight to level 5.  I still have quite a bit to do in the nursery area yet, but that's ok as well.  Some of the glitches I reported during the testing phases have been corrected, and things have been running very smoothly so far.  The combat is much more balanced, so I'm not needing to use medpacks every other round like I did during testing.  I find that using the keyboard for movement and a mouse for the rest helps.  My controller still does not work without mapping it out on my own, and movement is still crappy on it.  I'm going to give it a couple of months to decide if it's worth the $15/month to play.  Honestly, for having to pay to play the game, I find the $60 to buy the discs an insult, since you get nothing out of it at that point.  Here's hoping to put more time into it today while at work!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
Hmmm....I don't like the sound of that price originally if they make you pay that much for it per month online. I guess as it gets older the price will go down.

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
I still have not gotten on this game.  It takes about ten hours to load and shuts down all the time!  I have yet to see the welcome video.  :(
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
That's very odd.  How old is the computer you're trying to use?  Are you trying to download from discs or online?  It took me about 15 minutes total to download from disc, and probably an hour when I downloaded the game client online to test it last month.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
Man I've had to go back on duty for a couple o shifts and I'm clucking for
more TOR...

Here's a couple of screen shots, the first is on a familiar desert planet (!) the second is a shot of my Jedi ship...Enjoy!

Still I have another three days off over New Year, time to get to level 25 and free my STAP!

Hope you (and your families) all had a Merry Christmas!

WB out!!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Well, I was plugging along nicely, at level 15 on Coruscant when suddenly last night in the middle of a fight, my computer fried out.  Yup, 5 months old, heard an electronic beep and that was all she wrote.  Luckily it's under warranty, but I have to wait for them to ship me a box, send it in, 7-10 business days turn around time, then shipping it back to me.  So, I won't be able to play this game again for about 3 weeks. 

WB, do you play in groups, or do everything solo?  To be honest, I REALLY don't want to play with others online, but some of the missions highly suggest that you do.  Just curious.  By the way, what level do you get your Jedi ship, and do you buy it, is it a reward at attaining a certain level?

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 06:13:48 AM »
Hey Phatty

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your computer woes...hope it gets fixed soon!

As for your questions - I was given my ship after completing the core story quests on Coruscant, I believe that the other story arcs work in a similar vein.

As for groups? I've found on the first three planets that the core quests can be done on your own, however a couple of times I've needed my wife to give me a hand with her character, no issues if you are different classes, however if you are both the same then certain story elements need to be repeated for each player.

Some quests (I believe that they are called flashpoints and operations) require forming groups but there seem to be plenty of players willing to do this for the mission then go their separate ways afterwards.

It is also worth switching between your companions if you find a quest on the difficult side - one of mine is far better at combat than the other.

A good mate of mine is about to buy the game, and I'll be going back to join him in his nursery area to help him level up quickly through at least 1 to 15...

Hope this answers your questions, and that you have a safe, happy New Year

WB out!!

Offline Clonemaster

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
Got TOR last week but couldnt install because daily life.Currently Im downloading it.So long but i think it will be worth it
- Jon

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »
Yeah, it takes awhile to download, but you're going to love it!  I got my laptop back a few days ago and got to play it for a couple hours then, and hope to put more time in on it today and tomorrow.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 02:55:14 AM »
I can't believe how much fun this game is... I'm now level 34 and my characters skills are really coming into their own!  I've also mastered the crafting side of things and am enjoying a steady flow of credits from other Jedi buying and installing my lightsaber custom parts!

Some beautiful planets as well - Taris was superb, I'm currently exploring the home of the Organa's!!

WB out!!