Author Topic: The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic game thread  (Read 9340 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic game thread
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
Anyone out there get an invite to test the game this weekend?  I did, and am downloading the game client now to get ready for it.  It begins on Friday, 11/11/11 at 5PM PST and ends on Sunday, 11/13/11 at 8PM PST.  I'm hoping it's as cool as we're all hoping, and I'll let you know as I go along through the test how it fares.

By the way, does anyone play games like these on your computers and use a controller?  I think I'd want a controller of some kind, as I hate to "type" my commands on a keyboard; I feel they're so much slower.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic game thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »
Are they going to charge a monthly fee to play this one, Pat?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
I imagine so, though I haven't seen anything that says how much.  I may not be looking in the right places or something, but I found surprisingly little information about things like that.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
Just played the first hour or so of the game, and was pretty enjoyable thus far.  The graphics are pretty slick and smooth, no lag that I've noticed so far.  Game play is typical of any MMORPG you've played, so nothing new there.  Since I'm relatively new to the MMO world, I don't have a lot to compare to.  My big points were graphics, lag, audio, and easibility.  I really want a controller of some kind, as I hate to play off of my keyboard, but it's not too difficult thus far.  I'm pretty happy with things, and think next time I log in, I'm going to try a different class, as I started with Jedi Consular.  Next I may try Sith or Bounty Hunter and see what's up.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
Glad to hear that its pretty good.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
I started a Female Bounty Hunter class, choosing Chiss as the species.  I played for a little more than an hour and was not at all happy with it. It could be because I'm not used to this style, or using my keyboard, but my own personal mental lag in choosing commands really puts her at a disadvantage when there are more than 2 adversaries.  I died a lot.  It just seemed that I was outmatched at every turn, and became frustrated rather often because of it.  I found the quests more difficult to ascertain, and I really don't like the map function of the game overall.  Therefore, I abandoned her to her own devices and went back to my Jedi class.

That said, I'm going to be sad when this comes to an end tonight and have to wait until December 20th to get back at it.  I've found the story arcs and gameplay so much nicer in this class.  I should start a Sith class to see which side has the better quests, though I suspect that won't matter all that much.  I've always favored Force users, and it shows in my experience with this game quite a bit. 

So far, the only issues I've run into with the game come from the occasional seams found in the graphics.  While typically sharp overall, occasionally certain elements fail to be in focus.  This is most evident when it comes to interpersonal conversations.  Sometimes a face will be very smooth and plain, then suddenly snap back into focus and show blemishes and scars.  Where you encounter a Transdoshan friend of your Master, at one point the camo on his armor is excellent, and the next time it's a blurry canvas of smeared color.  Nothing huge, it doesn't take away from the game at all, but just felt odd to me.

The more I play, the more I don't want to stop.  I'm looking most forward to this game because it'll give me something to do at work during my downtime.  It's something I can do while the wife is home and wants to watch TV.  It's highly emursive, and after several hours with it, there's definitely no end in sight.  Nor should there be, but it's nice to feel that while you're constantly on the go, you're not in danger of suddenly completing the game.

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:27 AM »
Well that doesn't make me happy at all because I was going to have a bounty hunter character when I got the game.  Maybe it'll be easier for me because I have reflexes that are pretty good.  As you could guess I'm going to be a human male, eventually wearing mandalorian armor.  ;D
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:38 AM »

Mrs Balls has been beta testing this last week - she is both a very experienced MMORPG player and a total Star Wars buff 

She reports that on her quad core 3.6GHz PC with 2GB RAM and a 2GB graphics card she was able to run it at good speeds with what looked like pretty good (not top end) graphics...

Her first impressions? Its the first MMO to really challenge WOW, easily walks over LOTRO and all the other online RPGs she has played over the years. Also it's FREAKIN' STAR WARS guys!! She says the voice actin is great, the story arcs for the characters seem interesting and that the FMVs are nothing short of amazing...

Gameplay wise, she says if you've played LOTRO or WOW you will know what to expect. In her words (Having maxxed out several WOW characters over the years) "it's as if they have taken the best mechanics from the leading MMOs and wrapped it up with a KOTOR bow." During the beta she tried a smuggler, Imperial Agent and Jedi.

Overall she was very impressed with the game and can't wait to get her hands on the game on the 20th.

My views - I'm pretty new to MMOs, however I did spend a little bit of time on the dying Star Wars Galaxies, which was a bitter sweet experience as I drove through virtual ghost towns in my landspeeder and got constantly harassed by kids to join their guilds!

Now going on Mrs B's appraisal I've just ordered my copy and a new PC just for playing this on. (we have a 360/PS3/Wii/C64/Amiga/SNES/Saturn/Dreamcast for all other gaming needs lol!)

As the game doesnt require a total powerhouse (and we have 40Mb DL fibre optic broadband) I've gone for a fairly modest rig of

PCS MAELSTROM T900 Case

Intel® Core™i3-2120 Dual Core (3.30GHz, 3MB Cache) 

Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s

RAM 4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card   2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk   250GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk   250GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

Power Supply   450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan 

Processor Cooling   COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) 

Sound Card   Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE 

Now I'm planning on playing this casually, I'm not interested in the PVP server or even the strict RP one. Also I enjoy the freedom of this style of game, I want to savour it and not grind continuously to max my character as quickly as possible. I want to have an organic experience, and feel my little avatar grow as I play alongside my wife and best friend...just a simple man trying to make my way in the galaxy....

and finally...

"NO, I DO NOT WANT TO JOIN YOUR 1337 GUILD OF KIDS!!"

:p 

WB out! 

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »
I tested it again last weekend as well, and only had one hitch that continued all weekend, where any time I was indoors, the whole game would lag fiercely.  I've enjoyed it, I just don't enjoy using my keyboard to play it.  What does your wife use to play?  I bought a Logitech controller that was difficult to set up specifically to the game, but I may try again.  I'm looking forward to it, and don't know what class I'll kick it off with.  I've played Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular, and Sith Inquisitor.  I did not like the bounty hunter role at all, but enjoyed both of the Force user classes immensely. 

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:40 AM »
Phatty, Vic is an old school PC mouse and keyboard player from the old days of her Quake/wolfie clans - it took her ages to get used to playing FPS games on a console pad!

I'm still new myself to playing with a mouse and keys, and those 'gaming' key/mouse sets look like they've been pulled out of a stealth fighter!!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
Very true.  The controller I bought is set up like a PS3 controller, so it would be simple to use if I could figure out how to map the movement controls properly.  The rest of the commands are easy to map, it's the movement that get's me.  Perhaps when the official game debuts, I can get the controller to work better.  I am looking forward to it, that's for sure.  I wish I had preordered the digital copy now instead of the physical one, because if you preordered the digital version, you can get access to play 5 days early.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
Ditto re the digital copy! Vic has been following the dev online and can't wait to get her hands on the full game...gotta say I'm excited too!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
Wow WB, sounds like you have a nice set up. Alas, lack of high speed internet will keep me from this game for now. You guys are making me green though.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Hey Tamer

I decided to buy a rig just for TOR, however I didn't push the boat out too far in the specs department (and I'm not really that techie.) My wife however is a full on tech geek and professional fibre optic technician!

I just wanted to have a set up that could handle the game at a decent enough level but not break the bank!

Hopefully the PC will arrive before the game!!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
I'm stuck in a crappy hotel abroad due to work but I've just had a couple of emails that made me smile!

My new PC, peripherals and copy of TOR have all shipped, wooooooohoooo!