Author Topic: EG Starts Arcade Spinner for Arcade1up Review  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
EG Starts Arcade Spinner for Arcade1up Review
« on: June 11, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
Since their inception, Arcade1up has released three cabinets with an Atari type paddle/ spin knob control for use with the games Tempest and Major Havoc.
  Asteroids/Astroids Deluxe, and the Atari 12 in 1 were the cabinets.
There have been some complaints that the factory control didn’t spin freely enough and I’ll admit, the response from the controller isn’t what I remember the true arcade experience to be.

Enter the EG Starts arcade spinner replacement controller, configured to be a direct replacement, imported from China.
    This is just a Component of a larger project that I will unveil later.

I had heard good stories about this thing and figured I would give it a go.
  Pulling off the asteroids deluxe control deck and back dust cover was easy enough. The quick connect wire harness snaps out and 4 torqued screws were removed to get the old controller assembly off and the same screw holes that secure the old controller frame to mount the new assembly and the new harness snaps right in.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: EG Starts Arcade Spinner for Arcade1up Review
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
This new knob is like a solid piece of turned aluminum and has a good feeling weight to it. The old knob was a two piece hollow plastic assembly. The new knob when mounted, has a recessed Allen screw to tighten the knob in place after pushing down all the way and test spinning to check for wobble. There is a small aluminum spacer that when used, raises the knob height to allow for the clear plexiglass control deck covers that now are the standard on these machines but I don’t believe it’s needed as the knob looks to have plenty of clearance without it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:24:54 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
So, it was fairly easy to install, there is a set of dip switches on the bottom you can use to manipulate the sensitivity but it is supposed to be set at default to be just right for Tempest and let me tell you, the difference is pretty Huge. It spins fairly well and i would estimate a possible gain on response time to be at least 5x faster and further on one spin than the old controller.
      Just right for Tempest, it plays like a dream now.  this feels like a real arcade cabinet controller.
Well done, I would suggest it to anyone who owns one of the spinner cabs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:23:13 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:06:57 AM »
Wow Clint. You make that stuff look easy when I can see its pretty involved. Such a cool arcade you have going. Off to the front pages.