Author Topic: TCW - Stealth Operations Clone Trooper ("Blackout" - TRU Exclusive)  (Read 2658 times)

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
TCW - Stealth Operations Clone Trooper ("Blackout" - TRU Exclusive)

Hello folks and thanks for clicking!
Hopefully you like the review, this and the other one are the first formal reviews I've ever done.

Here is a quick review of the new 2011 Toys R Us exclusive The Clone Wars:  Stealth Operations Clone Trooper, which we all know from The Clone Wars Season 2 episode #16, "Cat and Mouse." 

Here are some links to let know know a little more about Blackout and the episode he appears in:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blackout_%28clone_trooper%29
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_and_Mouse

First, I'm not a huge fan of the show, and I only get PT aliens usually.  But I love the clone's sharp-stylized look on the show, and I really loved this episode and the Stealth Clone design (or "Leia Troopers") so any figures that are made of these designs are must grabs for me.

These seem to be going pretty quick in my area as there was only one more left on the pegs when I picked it up at my local Toys R Us.  Retail in the US is $7.99 so keep that in mind if you're buying on the secondary market.  It's a fair price in my mind for a TRU exclusive single figure, especially since the last few were $14.99+

The card is your standard style for 2010/2011.

Note that the figure pictured has the CW08 2008 Clone Wars super-articulated body.
The cardback description for some reason makes no mention of the character's name! Strange.

Note that the figure pictured has the CW08 2008 Clone Wars super-articulated body.
I took a few extra pictures so I can cry about the joints that could have been.

The figure includes a standard blaster, and a stand and game parts (dice, card)

The figure is based upon the much hated Stone body.  I've never owned a Stone but darn this body is a step back.  I really liked the Spec Op clone from the 2-pack and I think the 2008 Clone is one of the best action figures ever made.  I understand economics, but after the last few price increases it hurts.  It's a shame.

That being said, I like this figure a lot.  The newer body is more show accurate.   And it's the usual nice quality of plastic.  The paintwork is pretty nice overall, the complex helmet is awesome.

The helmet work is superb.

The new body has some nice show-accurate details and proportions.

Again it has some nice articulation overall, but the lack of ball feet kills me.  Modern Hasbro figures have a habit of having issues standing and the ball joint solves it.

The head has a strange range or articulation.  It can look up really well, but can't look down. 

Also cool to note that the head fits the new AOTC trooper body really well for customs:

I really like this figure, despite its shortcomings.

A quick shot of the evolution of this figure:  2008 Clone / Target Spec Ops / TRU Blackout:

Overall:  I really like this figure.   Despite using the inferior Stone body, the paint ops and character choice (Stealth Clone!!!!) this to me is a must-own figure in the SW line.
PROS:  Cool character, coloring, design; great sculpt and superb paint work on the helmet.  If you collect TCW or clones this is a must have.
CONS: Stone body, store exclusive. If you have no attachment to the show or design, an easy pass.

cheers and thanks!!!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
Re: TCW - Stealth Operations Clone Trooper ("Blackout" - TRU Exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »
Great review! Hasbro took a brilliant design and took a big dump on it by going with the Stone sculpt. I passed on this guy.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
Great review! Hasbro took a brilliant design and took a big dump on it by going with the Stone sculpt. I passed on this guy.

I was too psyched to actually find him to question it.  I don't blame you!

I think I'm going to find a TVC Phase I Clone and another to do a custom one.

Offline rwkjr

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
The Geonosis one is the best sculpt because it has  the 2008 everything except arms, it has the other arms that are more accurate and enables them to salute.  ()rr