Author Topic: Rebels, pirates, imperials and citizens.  (Read 110592 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Rebels, pirates, imperials and citizens.
« Reply #480 on: May 18, 2020, 10:00:49 PM »
Himilco turned out really well. The paint job is brilliant! I like that you used the Krauss body, it gives him a good "vibe".

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »
Oh yeah, he looks great. I like him.

Off to the front pages.
Thank you!
The Wookie is great.  And I think the Vizago on the Joe Colton figure works really well.  But the Cthulhu on the Kraus body is the winner for me.  It really come together well.

I also like you attitude about the images being stolen.  I've had artwork stolen before and I'm usually more upset that they used a crappy low res version than the actually theft itself.   I read some stuff from Dave Sime who created Cerebus the Aardvark, that he doesn't really care if people rip off his art, if someone can do his characters better than he does, they deserve what ever they make off of it.  It's the philosophy I've adopted.

Thank you! Yeah it's just a hobby to me. That's why I don't sell or do commissions, I think it would just become work. I make what I like, if someone else likes it that's cool too.

Himilco turned out really well. The paint job is brilliant! I like that you used the Krauss body, it gives him a good "vibe".
Thank you. I just figured an octopus guy with a deep sea diving suit was cool. Hoping it was just a little taller.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
  I made a few customs, nothing super exciting, just more diorama filler figures.

First is Tyche (Tike-hee) named after the Greek equivalent to Fortuna, the Goddess of good fortune also the name of another Twi'lek we all know and love.
It's just a Dr. Aphra body with Jyn erso arms, to avoid painting the arms, and it looks cool with sleeves. I painted the vest the same color as the sleeves, which ended up being Vallejo Luftwaffe blue. The neck post is also Jyn erso, the Aphra just had a nub because of the double jointed articulation, so I just glued the Jyn post on top of the nub. Then used the hot glue technique to make the Twi'lek head fit.

Tyche was a Twi'lek born into a wealthy family of Spice mine owners on Ryloth, until it was taken by the Hutts. Her family was killed, but she was able to escape with a freighter full of Ryll Spice. She settled on Galgrebaa and hid her shipment of Ryll in the forbidden zone. She began working for Brackeesh NaBuzaru as his top smuggler. Over time, she began to notice the devastating effects Spice had on people. When the Pykes dissolved and the NaBuzaru gang leaders were assassinated, Tyche took over the gang and renamed it Nemesis. Her goal was to destroy the Spice trade from within. She made secret alliances with the Hutts and Black Sun, pitting them against each other. She took her hidden shipment of Ryll, lined the containers with explosives and sent it to the Black Sun as a gift from the Hutts, then detonated them. Shortly after, she lead Nemesis disguised as Black Sun operatives, to destroy her family's former mines, controlled by the Hutts. This lead to an all out gang war. In the chaos the Mining Guild was able to take control of many disputed spice mines. With the mines controlled by the Mining Guild/Empire the Spice was safely regulated and use for medical and scientific purposes. Tyche became an administrator for the mining Guild on Galgrebaa.

Next is a couple of Sullustan technicians named Gomer and Goober. They flunked out of flight school, became mechanics, got fired and now they work at the local gas station. They spend more time fighting each other than doing any work. One is a Lt. Selfa body the other colonel Cracken, both repainted for matching uniforms.

Lastly are a couple of ASP-7 repaints. They work aboard Tyche's ship as loaders and sometimes
as bodyguards.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:02:47 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
Tyche turned out really well. I'm glad that you were able to find a legitimate color match for the vest; its nice when that works out. Great parts combination, great character, great backstory. Well done.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2020, 09:22:30 PM »
Waiting for the ASP's to load up :) I like the Sullustan head on the Sefla body, that works really well. Those are great characters...you might have to actually use them as comedy relief in your Galgrebaa photonovel.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:25:09 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2020, 06:29:06 AM »
I like em all. That Tyche looks great though! Man you sure did work the neck right on her too. Just the right fit. Not too long and it looks like she has a neck. Nice work there. The outfit and parts works so well on her too.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:26 AM »
Great job on the figures and I really like the backstories!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
Nice! Especially love the Twi'lek.

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Nice work! I like the Sullustan technicians, great concept!

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
While I like and am inspired by your custom work, I really like how you're fleshing out your characters. This feels like a lived in universe.  Great job!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #490 on: June 01, 2020, 02:43:49 AM »
I can see these being part of a bigger project. These four turned out very well! Love the name & story of the Tyche and you cannot have enough Sullustans. May there be long lasting peace surrounding those spice mines. Thanks for sharing & inspiring my Monday, JD! Everyone stay safe in these times of violence.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
Tyche turned out really well. I'm glad that you were able to find a legitimate color match for the vest; its nice when that works out. Great parts combination, great character, great backstory. Well done.
Waiting for the ASP's to load up :) I like the Sullustan head on the Sefla body, that works really well. Those are great characters...you might have to actually use them as comedy relief in your Galgrebaa photonovel.

Thank you. Originally I had three Sullustans, modeled after the Three Stooges, but I dropped one of the heads, and it's lost in the Twilight Zone. If I ever find it, I have the body all painted and ready to go.

I like em all. That Tyche looks great though! Man you sure did work the neck right on her too. Just the right fit. Not too long and it looks like she has a neck. Nice work there. The outfit and parts works so well on her too.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! It really worked out it could be a millimeter shorter, but I like that the head can move.

Great job on the figures and I really like the backstories!

Nice work! I like the Sullustan technicians, great concept!

Thank you. I like making stories for my customs, to me they become Star Wars characters. I can look at them and think, that's Eskar-Goh, he's probably off to move some freight to some distant world.
The Sullustans were originally going to be Rose Tico bodies, but that figure is way too petite, Sullustans are small, but not that small. It worked out.

Nice! Especially love the Twi'lek.
Thank you. That is one of my favorite head sculpts. The eyes are a little wonky, but the head in general is really cool.

While I like and am inspired by your custom work, I really like how you're fleshing out your characters. This feels like a lived in universe.  Great job!

Thank you. I have this Galgrebaa project, it's a world I'm creating and all of these characters live there. The idea is it's a network of spaceports on a mid-rim planet  home to smugglers, pirates, gangsters, imperials, Rebels, refugees and businessmen. They all live and interact with each other.

I can see these being part of a bigger project. These four turned out very well! Love the name & story of the Tyche and you cannot have enough Sullustans. May there be long lasting peace surrounding those spice mines. Thanks for sharing & inspiring my Monday, JD! Everyone stay safe in these times of violence.
Thank you, I'm glad I could inspire. I think originally Spice was supposed to play a larger role in Star Wars, like it was in Dune. "Spice is life" It's like in ancient history salt was life, soldiers were even payed in salt, they could take some for themselves and trade the rest. So on Galgrebaa Spice is a huge part of the local economy, legal or illegal.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #492 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
What an excellent update, JDeck. I love Tyche and the Sullustans, but I think those ASP-7's might be my favorites. The graphic paint schemes you've employed are reminiscent of styles I've seen in the animated SW universe and work so well for that pair of droids.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #493 on: July 01, 2020, 09:05:16 AM »
What an excellent update, JDeck. I love Tyche and the Sullustans, but I think those ASP-7's might be my favorites. The graphic paint schemes you've employed are reminiscent of styles I've seen in the animated SW universe and work so well for that pair of droids.

Thank you! I just took inspiration from old forklifts and pallet jacks for the ASP-7s. They're really cheap so I might get more.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #494 on: July 01, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
   I made another Galgrebian citizen. He's a mashup between Creature from the black lagoon, and Bossk. I've seen this custom before, I think with the Kenner Bossk, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I dreamt it. Anyway I used the Saga Bossk and Funko Creature.

Captain Gillman is an importer/Exporter of exotic seafoods. Galgrebaa is a mostly aquatic planet, home to many immigrated amphibious species, from planets such as Mon Calamari and Nepotis, creating a demand for foods from their homeworlds.  Brackeesh Na-Buzarru being from Nepotis is one of Captain Gillman's largest clients.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:55:34 PM by JDeck »