Author Topic: Rebels, pirates, imperials and citizens.  (Read 110593 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Rebels, pirates and imperials
« Reply #405 on: March 25, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
I made the boot gaiters and cod piece using a white balloon. Pretty simple. Then I attached the holster to his right boot. He has cameltoe lol, maybe another layer would fix it. I just need to adjust the neck and hollow the backplate. I need to find some safety glasses before, yesterday I got a big plastic booger in my eye. Then the other day an exacto knife exploded, so I should wear them all the time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:23:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #406 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
The DSG is a great figure, perhaps more for customs than anything else since the head is undersized. It's one that I've always regretted not picking up more of at retail since finding them at reasonable prices now is a bit difficult. Have you made a jumptrooper or riot trooper yet? If not, those might be fun.

Online Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #407 on: March 25, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »
That's a great build, JDeck. I like your balloon technique, its a great simple trick. Safety glasses are a great idea, I've had plastic in the eye, too - not my favorite experience (no exploding exacto knives though - I guess I still have that to look forward to - I do wear a sewing thimble on my left thumb for so don't cut it too badly).

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #408 on: March 25, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »
Were you trying to sharpen your exacto with a dremel tool?
    I have seen an exacto explode before. It usually requires great pressure.
  I love the white ballon trick but gotta admit the camel toe is a bit disturbing. It might work in say, a cantina diorama or something....
   I’m going to remember the ballon trick

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #409 on: March 25, 2020, 07:06:10 PM »
The DSG is a great figure, perhaps more for customs than anything else since the head is undersized. It's one that I've always regretted not picking up more of at retail since finding them at reasonable prices now is a bit difficult. Have you made a jumptrooper or riot trooper yet? If not, those might be fun.
I never saw the DSG in stores, or really anything else. I did get another one in the mail today, I'll either keep it as is or make a pilot.
A jumptrooper/rocket Trooper was exactly what I was thinking, so I'll go with that. I'll do the Battlefront version as opposed to Rebels.

That's a great build, JDeck. I like your balloon technique, its a great simple trick. Safety glasses are a great idea, I've had plastic in the eye, too - not my favorite experience (no exploding exacto knives though - I guess I still have that to look forward to - I do wear a sewing thimble on my left thumb for so don't cut it too badly).
Thanks yeah I've had too many close calls. I used to cut my fingers a lot, but it hasn't happened in a while. I found super glue makes good liquid stitch.
Were you trying to sharpen your exacto with a dremel tool?
    I have seen an exacto explode before. It usually requires great pressure.
  I love the white ballon trick but gotta admit the camel toe is a bit disturbing. It might work in say, a cantina diorama or something....
   I’m going to remember the ballon trick
No, the blade exploded while I was trying to crack open a figure chest. I got impatient and started to pry as I was cutting the seams. I put a second layer on the cod piece, and it's better. Yeah as I was contemplating how to make custom boots the balloon idea came. Over the years I've seen guys like hemble and others use balloons for different things.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:10:08 PM by JDeck »

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »
Really nice work.  And like the others have said, the balloon idea is brilliant.  I've wanted to used electrical tape on things before, but over time the adhesive leaks out and it gets nasty.  None of that with the balloons, plus nice natural wrinkles. 
And yeah, protect your eyes, sir.  I'm lucky I wear glasses full time, but I know its saved me on more that a few occasions.  Cut on the hands ... that's just par for the course.  Although I've probably stabbed my finger tips more than actually sliced them.  Keep it safe :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »
Oh yeah, that works! Good ole balloons. Man I can never spell that word right, but it looks good.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #412 on: March 26, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
Really nice work.  And like the others have said, the balloon idea is brilliant.  I've wanted to used electrical tape on things before, but over time the adhesive leaks out and it gets nasty.  None of that with the balloons, plus nice natural wrinkles. 
And yeah, protect your eyes, sir.  I'm lucky I wear glasses full time, but I know its saved me on more that a few occasions.  Cut on the hands ... that's just par for the course.  Although I've probably stabbed my finger tips more than actually sliced them.  Keep it safe :)
Thank you! I spent some time doing my due diligence, and studied original costumes, cosplayer and 501st costumes and learned a lot about the materials. I put staps on the armor, but you can't really see it. I ended up using shrink tube, halved.
Oh yeah, that works! Good ole balloons. Man I can never spell that word right, but it looks good.

Off to the front pages.
Thank you! Sometimes I have the hardest time spelling the simplest things, then stupid auto correct changed it to something completely different, especially proper nouns. Gets me in trouble sometimes.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #413 on: April 01, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »
Here is a man who would not take it anymore. Here is someone who stood up. Here is...

Here is a fun quick figure, a Rebel Assassin based on Taxi Driver. Basically he's a Starkiller Han repaint and Joe Colton head with sculpted hair and goggles. I'm not thrilled with the goggles but the Joe Colton looked too much like Bruce Willis.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:32:53 PM by JDeck »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:28 AM »
Nice, the jacket looks good.
I’ll never forget how every joe Colton Figure I ever bought had factory paint apps that made him look like he was cross eyed

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:45 AM »
Great custom. This figure would work in so many verses. Good stuff.

Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
Nice, the jacket looks good.
I’ll never forget how every joe Colton Figure I ever bought had factory paint apps that made him look like he was cross eyed
Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure if he's cross-eyed or his eyes are too close together. That's another reason why I went with the goggles. I knew it was going to look cool or odd. I like it though, he's weird he's supposed to. I thought about using a Rodian head, but he'd just look like an average Rodian.

Great custom. This figure would work in so many verses. Good stuff.

Off to share.
Thank you. He reminds me of a toyline from the late 80s early 90s, Cops n Crooks. That was a funky weird line, but it was cool.

Online Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
I like it! He looks like he's seen the seedier side of life, and I like the hair. I agree with Tamer, he could easily fit into other contexts as well.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »
I like it! He looks like he's seen the seedier side of life, and I like the hair. I agree with Tamer, he could easily fit into other contexts as well.

Thank you Starchaser. Yeah I wanted to give him like a Coruscant underworld vibe, kind of like Taxi Driver in 1970s New York. I think the Rebel Alliance in some cases are like Travis Bickle. He thought he was morally superior to everyone else and he ended up becoming just as bad. He was regarded as a hero at the end because he killed a bunch of gangsters, but had he carried out his assassination attempt on Palantine, he would be considered a bad guy.  It's all in perspective I guess.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:28:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2020, 03:42:11 PM »
  I'm shifting focus from imperials to citizens. I found myself only buying imperial figures because the others didn't fit in my collection. So I have an idea how I can incorporate Rebels imperials and random figures on one display.

Eskar-Goh was an Ithorian freighter pilot stationed on Galgrebaa during the imperial era. He ran a lawful business, in fact he refused services to Rebels or Rebel sympathizers, because he viewed them as criminals. He was an exceptional pilot having never lost a client's cargo to pirates. Eskar had a protocol Droid named AP-1D , who was his interpreter, copilot, navigator and inventory Droid.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:17:28 PM by JDeck »