Author Topic: casting question - prepping a really squishy master?  (Read 876 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
casting question - prepping a really squishy master?
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
I found this robot head or something that looks like a pencil-topper in a pile of parts.  I think it would make a great greeblie to mold and cast.  However, it is VERY squishy!  I suspect it is made of silicone, which means without proper prepping, my HSIII will bond to it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I should go about prepping this wee beastie for molding?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: casting question - prepping a really squishy master?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:55:33 AM »
well doc, you could coat it with mold release kind of like you use when making two-piece molds but i'm not sure if I would trust that. You could use petroliem jelly and coat the master part but that could be messy and sacrifice some detail. How about covering the master part with a coat of paint or two? Worst case scenario, some of the paint would come off within the mold and would then work itself out after you cast 2-3 runs of the part.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: casting question - prepping a really squishy master?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »
Yeaaaaaah, that's where I was at on the mold-release.  The stuff I've been using hasn't given me consistently reliable results and I usually have to cut at least part of the 2-piece molds apart.  It's a really neat little part and I don't want to loose it.  May just have to paint it and pray...