Author Topic: TVC NEWS DISCUSSION - Fathers's Day EVENT 06/09/2021 on YouTube  (Read 8080 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
At the end of the 2017 I started a similar topic in a different thread (Legacy and Vintage Line).

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10358.0

There we threw in our ideas for possible releases of The Vintage Collection. Here I'd like to bring new life to this thread. After the lack of new stuff presented at SDCC 2019 this topic couldn't be more actual. (I learned that Hasbro were not allowed to announce much new stuff at SDCC.)

So here's why Hasbro could make good money with products of a decade ago:

And here's another proof that there is still HIGH DEMAND for Comic Packs today! People are actually whilling to pay this money:

So what are your observations and suggestions for repacks/re-releases for our beloved The Vintage Collection? Let us know in the comments down below!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 03:25:09 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Your ideas for future TVC releases: New, updated or repacked!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:06:00 AM »
Good topic gonna have to take this to the front page.

Frankly I would love to see one vintage three or four pack ever year. Ideally I would like to see one with each vintage basic figure wave, but know that might get to be a bit much.

Right now, with the 40th anniversary of TESB getting ready I would love to see them put some of their modern releases on vintage cardbacks ( I mean AT-AT Driver for sure!). Couldn't you see an Echo Base 4 pack in a vintage box in both a Rebel and Imperial Version. Folks sure wouldn't mind a huge Bounty Hunter Pack in a vintage box too. Remember the good ole days when Hasbro literally would box up 7 or more figures and create something awesome (like the Death Star Briefing Set). So many ideas.

We could also use some vintage boxed vehicles (I believe it was you who wanted to see a vintage boxed AT-ST). Wouldn't it be cool to see a new version of mini-rigs too in vintage boxes. I could easily see them releasing the bigger AT-AT again in the TESB vintage deco box (easily one of my favorite things I have in my own collection). I would also love to see a new Rebel Troop Transport unveiled for TESB, but now I am really dreaming big. Daggone that would be cool though.

You are making me think of good questions I should have asked Hasbro last week, but think they had to put a gag on most of the newer stuff as far as info. I know folks also want to see the Hoth Turrets again. I still enjoy perusing my Target Exclusive Hoth Turret Set I got years ago.

Frankly, if Hasbro were smart they would put everything in a vintage box or theme, especially any new line they were unsure about selling or introducing. We would buy it just for the box or card (well some of us would).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:15:03 AM by Tamer »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Tamer: Wow, thank you so much for your instand, long and detailed reply!! I'll read through everything, again, and add to this comment:

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
So after the review of VC151 Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony) by Bossk'sBounty we can now decode most of the codenames on this list:

Source: YakFace/UsualMikeTelevision (YouTube)
URL: https://www.youtube.com/user/darla83 (subscribe)  ;)

I actually like the design of the Knight of Ren. Also the Power Ranger kind of character and the white Rey are quite nice designs. I will use all three figures for three of my own characters from The Knights of the Old Republic / Expanded Universe. I wonder if I can make this Rey to an Atris custom...

But what do you think about the rest? I'm very excited for this Jawa and wonder which one Hasbro picked. Another repack? Let's hope they designed a nice card.

And what about this "E6 Pricess Leia (Ceremony)? I rather think it's TBS Leia (Yavin Ceremony) with updated face print...but a Leia from the Ewok Ceremony on Endor would be much more awesome!

Your thoughts?

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:43:45 PM by Darth More »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
My 2cents.... Release the last ones needed (from the OG Kenner) and KILL IT. move on to other areas of 3 3/4 release. No packages... Unless exclusive. Figures from pulse can be ordered in replica Kenner baggies (huge cost cutter) and the brick and mortar releases are clear bubbles only: Detailed like SW environments, Sticker with SW logo (only) and character name. Every figure has a paper tray with BIO (one paragraph) and black and white photo/checklist of "years" figures, reverse side: Anything from character photo or suitable background (AOTC/SAGA/OTC style).

Key here is this... The bubbles like I said are environments (like doorways, tables, creates, etc 5000) the scanable icon (next to product barcode) takes you to a Hasbro site or app that gives you step by step dummy proof instructions on how to cut/alter and paint the bubbles into an actual diorama piece.

Thanks for nothing Hasbro. I pray you steal my suggestion and actually Do Something forward thinking and economical.  ::) 0// bbfet lvva
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:57:49 PM by (SID) »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
Went up for auction and sold tonight: Imperial Shuttle Tydirium...another no-brainer and money on the table.

Did I hear HasLab, Hasbro? Take my money!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Your ideas for future TVC releases: How will packaging look like?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 03:30:07 AM »
How will packaging look in the future and will we ever get a shiny C-3PO, again?

About a month ago YakFace.com shared a rumor about a possible new C-3PO for The Vintage Collection:

https://yakfaceforums.com/main/2019/10/18/rumor-report-new-tvc-c-3po-coming-soon/

Will it finally be the shiny version of our favorite Protocol Droid we've been waiting for since 2010? Hasbro said in several interviews that they don't use this dying/painting technique anymore because it is bad for the environment. This is actually a very positive appeal!
But other companies and even toy brands still offer toys using this chrome technique and even include solid metal parts for STILL less than $1!!!

Most recently Hasbro have released their interpretation to celebrate 40 years of STAR WARS SAGA.
These controversially discussed figures come with a golden paint that's at least shiny unlike the TVC C-3PO from 2010...So there are alternatives. JTA just shared a review of the first of those packs:

https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=showcontent&id=3832

No more plastic packaging for our plastic figures?!

Hasbro also annouced that they will no longer use plasitc blisters for future packaging designs. That would also mean no more blisters for our action figures. Personally, I cannot imagine the iconic Vintage Card without a blister bubble on it.
But what are the alternatives?
Will we only get our Star Wars figures like this, then?

What are your thoughts & dieas?

- Philipp

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:52:59 AM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Yeah I heard they're making a TVC 3po, but guess what, it's a TBS repack. I'm not really fond of that figure, because of the removable plating. Outside of TPM his plating is never removed. We'll even in TPM it wasn't removed, he just didn't have it to begin with. I like the newer Forcelink 3PO, sure he doesn't have Arty, but 3po doesn't move all that much. I do like the new gold paint for 6" and Forcelink better than vacplate. The only time 3po is shiny is at the end of the movies, the rest of the time he's dingy at best.

As for the packaging rumor, I think it's only for power rangers at this point.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 01:28:07 AM »
Yeah I heard they're making a TVC 3po, but guess what, it's a TBS repack. I'm not really fond of that figure, because of the removable plating. Outside of TPM his plating is never removed. We'll even in TPM it wasn't removed, he just didn't have it to begin with. I like the newer Forcelink 3PO, sure he doesn't have Arty, but 3po doesn't move all that much. I do like the new gold paint for 6" and Forcelink better than vacplate. The only time 3po is shiny is at the end of the movies, the rest of the time he's dingy at best.

If this is certain already I'm not surprised that Hasbro give us yet another repack...you're exactly right on the plating. I think Hasbro just wanted to give us more value with C-3PO. I think it's a nice feature for Aphra's 0-0-0, if the panel on the back would at least stay where it's supposed to be.

I also really like the latest versions of both! I also join the people who suggested to put the clean R2 on the VC149 card. Both sculpts are excellent! Your thoughts on the metal painting are also very deep. Thanks for sharing your inside knowledge.

Recently a dutch discount chain had two waves of TLJ action figures for 1,99€ each! They suddenly sold like hot cakes. Many people jumped on that train and try to sell those for about 8€ each in ebay now...

As for the packaging rumor, I think it's only for power rangers at this point.

One ad made me aware of these Japanese versions of the Movie Heroes line from back in 2013!
It seems they tested "blind bags" in Japan already. No plastic it seems. Or maybe the blister was just inside the box? Probably.

GalacticHunter.com already shared, what I just learned about, more than 6 years ago:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/hasbro-star-wars-blind-figures-coming-japan

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:41:29 AM by Darth More »

Offline (SID)

• Commander
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 02:47:42 AM »
Everything hasLOW has done or will do is wrong... I still stand by my Above post 😉

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »
My 2cents.... Release the last ones needed (from the OG Kenner) and KILL IT. move on to other areas of 3 3/4 release. No packages... Unless exclusive. Figures from pulse can be ordered in replica Kenner baggies (huge cost cutter) and the brick and mortar releases are clear bubbles only: Detailed like SW environments, Sticker with SW logo (only) and character name. Every figure has a paper tray with BIO (one paragraph) and black and white photo/checklist of "years" figures, reverse side: Anything from character photo or suitable background (AOTC/SAGA/OTC style).

Key here is this... The bubbles like I said are environments (like doorways, tables, creates, etc 5000) the scanable icon (next to product barcode) takes you to a Hasbro site or app that gives you step by step dummy proof instructions on how to cut/alter and paint the bubbles into an actual diorama piece.

Thanks for nothing Hasbro. I pray you steal my suggestion and actually Do Something forward thinking and economical.  ::) 0// bbfet lvva

Yeah, sorry for my late reply on your excellent comment! I really like the idea of the bubbles being environment parts!

Talking about stealing ideas: I think Hasbro seriously stole my idea back in 2007...I was working on a "Star Wars Battle Game" for the 3.75" figures. I was inspired by Warhammer.
Well, in 2010 I think it was, they released the game with cards and dice. The figures are not even involved in this game! I conacted Hasbro by email back in 2007 and they responded! They referred me to White Castle Games in Austria, which also belongs to the Hasbro Group.
I only mentioned my idea and the name "Battle Game". They required 1,000€ to test the rules and another 1,000€ for a possible patent. Couldn't afford this as a student in 7th grade.

Today we have Battle Game cards with too many dice we don't need and LEGIONS.
Now, there's that.

If HasLow continues to run on "Sparflamme" (just ticking over) and treat the 3.75" line like $hit, I will agree with you. It's time for the license to end. The Black Series on the other hand gets the fullest attetnion and premium treatment. And Hasbro claim it's the PREMIUM line for their Star Wars brand.
Well, in stores and on ebay most people are NOT willing to pay even half of the price for the 6 inch figures! They are sold for LESS than Vintage Collection figures! And this drives me mad!  >:(

- Philipp
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:58:26 AM by Darth More »

Offline (SID)

• Commander
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 04:11:28 AM »
Wow sooo much RIGHT in your post.

That's crazy they took your idea... It's obvious.... I got a day/tour of HQ once in high school and these fools seemed to be creatively bankrupt... They had me sit in on a meeting were they were trying to market foam board posters etc. with a slot that separate  "clips" purchased could play a song (say Britney Spears) when loaded into a poster. They all looked at me and asked "WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!! Do you Like it!!! Would you buy it!?!?!" I just felt soo bad I just shook my head and just kept thinking: at least your getting to see the OG Clone Wars line before anyone knows it exists and seeing all the other unknown SW stuff hanging around.

That game idea of yours was really nice. I just never had anyone to play it with 😢

The whole TVC thing is a damn joke. Everything you said is 100% on point. $5 is how much a figure SHOULD cost ... The retainer Will add w/e they want anyway. These people have to learn to make a product again. They bought KENNER whom had it down... Even the 80'-90's GI-JOE line was perfect. These people are just fools in my mind and everytime in my life friends and family have commented "u should work for them" I just still laugh. You know they don't even have an Art Degree in toy design? So the hires are all from various design or fashion degrees so its just terrible melting pot of whomever did what. 😵
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:13:08 AM by (SID) »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:56 AM »
I used to be the biggest advocate for vac plating, especially the Bandai 3po, but I always ended up having to add a matter finish anyway. The thing about vac plating is they need a very hard plastic to use it, like styrene. The plastic Hasbro uses I think is too soft, but they just made up the whole environment saving, captain Planet BS.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:06 AM »
YakFace.com identifies more yet unknown & unannounced TVC figures. I think this is wonderful news if they're true. And I wonder why Hasbro want to safe single announcements for the rest of the year when they know they leave 3.75" fans frustrated and disapointed after their resounding joke at Toy Fair...

https://yakfaceforums.com/main/2020/02/23/rumor-report-tvc-mystery-figures/

Here're the characters that are supposed to join the TVC line-up:

Power Droid (ANH)
Airborne Trooper (ROTS)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
K-2SO (Rogue One)
Hondo Ohnaka (Galaxy’s Edge)
Clone Trooper Fives (TCW)
Chirrut Imwe (Rogue One)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:04:48 AM by Darth More »

Offline (SID)

• Commander
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
Yeah lots of great figures/products coming this year. I'll definitely be getting most of those... An that's coming from someone whom skips TVC   >:D overall. Hasbro is going to be getting my money this year quite a bit. (The Ghostbusters toys alone pulled me in). I know people complain about too little product but I'm always behind, even if by choice... With every release they put out. But these new "MYSTERY" are what fans have been asking for. Same happening with TBS right now with ESB/ROTJ and PT.