Author Topic: #TheVintageConversation with Steve Evans on hasbropulse on Instagram  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
#TheVintageConversation on #hasbropulse

Here I would like to summarize last week's #TheVintageConversation moderated by Steve Evans, Design Director at Hasbro for Star Wars, on hasbropulse on Instagram.

You can still add your ideas to the seven topics by following the link below:

https://www.instagram.com/hasbropulse/

hasbropulse: "The Vintage Collection is back in 2018! Steve Evans, Design Director at Hasbro for Star Wars, needs your help in deciding what figures, ships and playsets to do in the future. There are just too many to choose from! Link in our bio. All comments will be made public and are not confidential. No credit or compensation will be given for any ideas."

Source: http://jedibusiness.com/NewsDetails?id=4637

Questions:

Day 1 (26/02/2018) Introduction: "We would like your help to decide which figures, vehicles and playsets you want to see in the future (of The Vintage Collection)!"

Day 2 (27/02/2018): "What are your top 3 Star Wars characters that have NEVER been into super-articulated figures before, that you would like to made for The Vintage Collection?"

Day 3 (28/02/2018): "What EXISTING super-articulated Star Wars figure would you like to see updated with new parts or deco to create a new version of that character? Name the figures and the parts. Be very descriptive."

Day 4 (01/03/2018): "What are your top 3 Star Wars VEHICLES that you would like to be newly created for The Vintage Collection?"

Day 5 (02/03/2018): "What are your top 3 EXISTING super-articulated Star Wars figures that you would like to see newly presented on a Vintage Collection cardpack?"
Note: Talking about straight repacks.

Day 6 (03/03/2018): "What are your top 3 existing Vintage Collection Star Wars figures that you would like to see TOTALLY re-sculpted and re-released? Who deserves that complete overhaul?  Important side note: If we redo a figure, does it keep its VC number or does it get a new one?"

Day 7 (04/03/2018) Final question: "What are your top 3 Star Wars environments or playsets that you would like to see released in The Vintage Collection?"

You can still join the conversation if you haven't, yet:

https://www.instagram.com/hasbropulse/

Let's take this great opportunity to share our ideas DIRECTLY with Hasbro!

Best regards

- Philipp
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:23:38 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: #TheVintageConversation with Steve Evans on hasbropulse on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:45:15 AM »
very nice way of summarizing this. Let me take this to the front page again.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »
I am gonna try to make sure I stay current on these. Please share your answers folks. I mean they even have a playset question!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
Yes, I also like the last question the most! Thank you for sharing this topic on the FP once again, Shawn! There has been some confusion about this - many people posted their wishes for the 6" line or named figures that already existed for new releases.

Yesterday (05/03/2018), Hasbro collected all answers of their "7-day-conversation". You can still comment on all three videos of #TheVintageCollection, but I don't know if the people in charge over at Hasbro's design office will still pay attention to it. In any case I hope we'll see more of these fan "conversations" in the future. The next step will probably be polls on the top most demanded products to vote.

Here're my answers of the week:

Day 1 (26/02/2018) Introduction: "We would like your help to decide which figures, vehicles and playsets you want to see in the future (of The Vintage Collection)!"

A: Vehicles: I love the AT-ST first released in The Legacy Collection 2009. Thanks for also producing this Imperial Combat Assault Tank (Hovertank). What do you think about a repaint of the TLC AT-ST of Jedha from Rogue One in TVC Packaging? It'd be the 6th re-release of this mold, which I just cannot have enough of. This vehicle is just so awesome, I therefore got all of them and I know many are also a fan of it. The AT-ST (Jedha) would go great along the (Hover)tank! Thank you!

A:
- Vehicles: Imperial Shuttle Tydirium - NEW
- Speeder Bike with Biker Scout (TRU Exclusive 2012) - Repack
- Desert Skiff - NEW
- A-Wing - NEW
- T-14 Skyhopper - NEW
- Bespin Cloud Car (SOTDS) - Repack
- AT-ST (TLC) Jedha - Repaint / (SOTDS) Hoth - Repack (because we can't have enough  of this excellent vehicle!)
- X-Wing Blue Squadron, Rogue One - NEW or Repaint
- AT-TE - AOTC Repaint (realistic style)
- Republic Fighter Tank (IFT-X) - NEW (bigger, realistic style and as awesome as TVC (Hover)tank
- TIE Fighter (TLC, big wings) - Repack/Pepaint
- Naboo Flash Speeder - NEW
- Snowspeeder (SOTDS) - Rpaint wirh orange paint apps
- Droid Carrier (TPM) - NEW (LEGO released this vehicle 4 times so far)

And so many more ideas...and please bring on the Sail Barge! Allow international customers to back it, too! I'll back two immediately! Thanks for reading!"

Note:

Day 2 (27/02/2018): "What are your top 3 Star Wars characters that have NEVER been into super-articulated figures before, that you would like to made for The Vintage Collection?"

A: "First, thank you for giving us this opportunity on here! Second, thank you so much for your dedication for video games from 2006-2012. It'd be great to see some more of the missing characters such as:
- Kazdan Paratus (TFU)
- Satele Shan (TOR)
- Darth Sion (KOTOR)
- Sith Trooper - silver armor (KOTOR)
- Kreia/Darth Traya (KOTOR II)
- Cin Drallig & Serra Keto (ROTS)
and what about some Battlefront action? Another multipack like the two from TAC would be awesome! The 6" Imperial Shock Trooper in 3.75" would be great. And the list goes on and on and on...please bring back the Comic Packs! I hope Disney will share some dedication to Legends, too!
A new Darth Revan & Darth Malak would be awesome, too! Thanks for reading!"

Note: got 1 like, for some reason my answer was posted twice by Instagram

Day 3 (28/02/2018): "What EXISTING super-articulated Star Wars figure would you like to see updated with new parts or deco to create a new version of that character? Name the figures and the parts. Be very descriptive."

A:

Note: I think I haven't posted anything to this question, but there were tons of great ideas from other fans!

Day 4 (01/03/2018): "What are your top 3 Star Wars VEHICLES that you would like to be newly created for The Vintage Collection?"

A: @hasbropulse
Vehicles of the Original Trilogy & Rogue One:
1. TLC AT-ST - Repaint: Jedha & SOTDS AT-ST - Repack: Hoth
2. Blue Sqaudron X-Wing - NEW
3. Desert Skiff - NEW

Vehicles of the Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars era: got 1 like
1. Trade Federation Droid Carrier
2. Republic Fighter Tank (bigger, more realistic, quality & detail similar to TVC Imperial Combat Assault Tank)
3. TCW Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (Repaint in metallic as seen on Kashyyyk in ROTS)
4. AT-TE - Repaint in "realistic style" as seen in AOTC
5. Hailfire Droid - NEW, bigger
6. Republic Gunship/LAAT/i - NEW,bigger than the 2002 mold
7. Bail Organa's red speeder
8. AAT - NEW, bigger
9. Naboo Flash Speeder - NEW
10. Wookie Catamaran
11. AT-RT - NEW, without electronics
12. Droid Gunship
Thank you Mr Evans.

My top choices for TVC repacked vehicles:
- SOTDS Bespin Cloud Car
- TLC/SOTDS Rebel Transport Speeder with Rebel Ground Crew
- ROTS/TSC Anakin's Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter
- TLC TIE Fighter (big wings)
- SOTDS AT-ST (Hoth)
- SOTDS Atgar Laser Cannon & Golan Laser Battery (Hoth)
- SOTDS ISP Swamp Speeder
- MH Naboo Starfighter
- ROTS Droid Tri Fighter
- TCW Vulture Droid
add: TAC V-Wing

Note: I started cheating here and posted several comments.

Day 5 (02/03/2018): "What are your top 3 EXISTING super-articulated Star Wars figures that you would like to see newly presented on a Vintage Collection cardpack?"
Note: Talking about straight repacks.

A:
@hasbropulse TLC/SOTDS Rebel Ground Crew (from LC Battle Pack & Rebel Transport Speeder) Thank you.

@hasbropulse I would LOVE to see a re-release of the two TRU exclusive Battle on Geonosis: Jedi Knights Packs from 2013! They don't have to necessarily be on Vintage cards, maybe Roan Shryne, Que-Mars Redath, Khaat Qiyn and Selig Kengen on TVC cards, but it would be best to re-release /re-pack all eight figures of these fantastic packs! Thank you.

#hasbropulse #TheVintageConversation My top 3 choices for TPM are:
1. TVC VC78 Security Battle Droid (repaint, please also paint the head matching the rest of the body this time around)
2. TVC VC78 Pilot Battle Droid (repaint)
3. TVC VC78 OOM-9 Battle Droid Commander (repaint)

My top 3 choices for Legends/EU:
1. TBS #18 Darth Plagueis
2. TAC Evolutions Galen Marek/Starkiller (TFU)
3. TLC BD59 Jacen Solo
Note: 2 likes

#hasbropulse #TheVintageConversation My top 3 choices for TESB:
1. TLC BD49 AT-AT Driver
2. TLC BD50 Cloud City Wing Guard (both versions)
3. TBS #24 Snowtrooper (Commander)
Thank you Hasbro!
Note: 2 likes, 11 comments

My top 3 choices for ANH:
1. TLC BD33 Hrchek Kal Fas
2. TLC BD34 Leesub Sirln
3. TBS Walmart Exclusive Princess Leia (Ceremony)
Note: 1 like

My top 3 choices for ROTS:
1. TAC 08-04 Kashyyyk Trooper
2. TLC BD47 Commander Bacara
3. TLC BD43 Agen Kolar (with Jedi robe)

#hasbropulse #TheVintageConversation My top 3 choices (at least for ROTJ) are:
1. TBS #27 Skiff Gaurd (Brock Starsher)
2. TLC BD21 Giran
3. TLC BD22 Malakili
...and so many more of TLC, TAC and Comic Packs...it's hard ro choose just three.
Note: 1 like

Day 6 (03/03/2018): "What are your top 3 existing Vintage Collection Star Wars figures that you would like to see TOTALLY re-sculpted and re-released? Who deserves that complete overhaul?  Important side note: If we redo a figure, does it keep its VC number or does it get a new one?"

A: Another tough one, Steve...what I can say for sure is that a figure should get a new, different VC number if you resculpt it completey because it's the same character, but a new figure then. I'm surprised that you even take this into consideration because all figures of the previous TVC are amazing...let's see if I can find three to list here...

@hasbropulse Alright, I found three:
1. VC13 Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker) Please, make his head sculpt look more like Hayden Christensen
2. VC16 Obi-Wan Kenobi - this figure is based on the 2005 release of Obi-Wan, this ROTS character might deserve an update...
3. VC76 Obi-Wan (Jedi Padawan) as I mentioned before these are well done figures, but some are based on older releases like this one (which isn't bad at all), but if you ask me, these might deserve an update. I would even put ROTS Obi-Wan on first place because he is my favourite character. If I could name two more I would choose VC75 Qui-Gon Jinn and VC69 Bastila Shan's head sculpt and/or paint apps. She's also an awesome character and figure.
Before I tell you more about what I'd like to see in the future, I would also like to thank you for all these great figures and vehicles you've done so far! Best regards from Germany!

@hasbropulse By the way thank you also for your announcement (on NY ToyFair 2018) of re-issuing some of the by now hard to find figures of TVC 2010-2012 even with their exact VC numbers! This is such a great decision and I think you haven't done re-issues like this before if I remember correctly? Thank you so much!

@hasbropulse I would LOVE to see a re-release of the two TRU exclusive Battle on Geonosis: Jedi Knights Packs from 2013! They don't have to necessarily be on Vintage cards, maybe Roan Shryne, Que-Mars Redath, Khaat Qiyn and Selig Kengen on TVC cards, but it would be best to re-release /re-pack all eight figures of these fantastic packs! Thank you.
Note: Yes, I posted this once more.

Day 7 (04/03/2018) Final question: "What are your top 3 Star Wars environments or playsets that you would like to see released in The Vintage Collection?"

@hasbropulse PLEASE READ!!!

Dear Mr Evans,

that's a great question. I'm also a big fan of Playmobil. Both Playmobil and Mattel have a system of matching parts that can be attached to each other in countless ways and combinations. Of course LEGO is the prime example, but I don't take LEGO as example here because the entire system is based on individual pieces. What about you develop an assortment of pieces for different dioramas and playsets similar to the systems of the brands mentioned above?

I think of parts that can be connected in numerous way. Here is an example: Death Star - walls, door ways, control panels can be attached to floor panels/plates. Ground plates can be attached to the walls' bottom AND top so that you can build up as well - you could build as high and as wide as you want to. This allows kids (young and grown-ups) to create their own buildings of the Death Star - with Hangars, detention/prison blocks, shield panels, trash compactors and so on...there are countless possibilities.

Same idea/concept works for playsets like Mos Eisley Cantina, Tantive IV, Jedi Temple, Hoth Echo Base, Naboo Theed, Bespin Cloud City (Carbon Freezing Chamber), Jabba's palace, Mustafar...just to name a few. Sets of these parts like base plates, walls, doors, control panels, rails etc. are sold in different sizes (piece count) and for different price points. Please, Hasbro pay close attention to this one here because there's just SO MUCH potetial - this might well be the key to a new world of playing experience! Make a system for building worlds of a galaxy far, far away - MAKE IT YOUR SYSTEM! Thanks and best regards from Germany!

- Philipp   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:53:42 AM by Darth More »

Offline talonreap

• Ensign
  • Clone Wars / Imperial Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
I for one really appreciate Hasbro and Steve Evans taking this opportunity to reach out to the fan base and start a dialogue to find out what we're interested in and maybe garner some inspiration!

As a major Clone Wars fan I have been dying to see a Pong Krell figure, and especially an Admiral Trench figure! Any and all Mandalorians would also be welcome. A lot of times I saw my own preferences mentioned several times in the Instagram comments, but other times I left responses.

As for vehicles, I made a point of mentioning the TIE Defender! Yesterday I was wracking my brain for any unproduced clone vehicles, and though of the UT-AT Trident! It's the awesome repulsorlift tank used on Mygeeto that gets blown up. I know there probably wouldn't be a huge amount of interest, but one can always hope! The Z-95 Headhunter would also be cool to see one day.

What did you guys add? Or what would you like to see?

And thanks to Phillip and Tamer for bringing attention to this Hasbro initiative!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:00:27 AM »
@talonreap: Thanks for your reply! I would like to keep the conversation going on here. Yesterday, I had some trouble with my computer's WiFi adapter so I couldn't complete my entry above. It's also difficult to find my posts on Instagram, again. So I need to put more time into that. I should've copied and saved all of them right away. I got some of them saved on my cell phone, though.

I'm sure we'll see more Clone Wars characters in TVC! And an UT-AT would be awesome, too! Sooner or later we'll hopefully get one. The TIE Defender is more likely to see a release - didn't it also appear in Rebels? LEGO already released the Z-95 - maybe Hasbro will make it, too...

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
@talonreap: Now, I had enough time to type in all my comments her eonce again...I didn't find a way to just copy my comments from Instagram and paste them here.

You can read them all in my comment above (Reply #3).

Have a good weekend everyone!

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
Steve Evans wants YOU to ask questions about The Vintage Collection!

I just found this new entry from hasbropulse on Instagram! Steve Evans, Director of Design & Development for Star Wars at Hasbro Inc., offers us to ask questions about the recently re-launched TVC! He mentions topics like production of figures, how the process of choosing which character to add to the line and packaging.
So take the chance, sign up to Instagram if you haven't already and let your voice be heard! 219 comments have been posted as of this post.
There will be a video next week in which Steve will answer some of the questions. And one of them could be yours:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkXrpKVBBzS/?taken-by=hasbropulse

On June 23, 2018

- Philipp

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:39:49 PM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 02:53:52 AM »
Here are my questions asked:

1. VC78 Battle Droid:
I think you created the perfect mold of the Battle Droid with this figure! How are the chances to see repaints of it as OOM-9 Pilot & Security & Commander Droid? Multipacks would be appreciated, too! It would be so great to army-build these - I mean it's the 20th anniversary of TPM next year and we need to give all these Clone Troopers something to play against! ;)

2. The Sarlacc Pit I've indeed been hiding in 'till now - was this possibly a hint, Mr Evans? @mrstevie18 #mrstevie18 best regards from the Dune Sea, Tatooine

3. The Khetanna: As the very first of the #haslab projects, it was more than successfully backed with over 8,000 pre-orders. Will there be more units than backers produced and if so will it be available/distributed outside the U.S. and Canada, too? Best regards from Germany!
P.S.: @haslab is an awesome idea! Thank you so much for keeping the conversation going with your fans!

4. Retail:
Fortunately Toys "R" Us Germany, Austria and Switzerland were sold to Symths Toys from Ireland instead of a complete shut down. TRU Germany also carries The Vintage Collection as the only major retailer I know of here...obviously they get them from distributor heo, too. They retail for 20,99€ (~$24.14), which is not only no fun anymore, it's actually insane for a single carded action figure in 1/18 scale...is there any chance the MRSP will decrease like the MRSP for the TBS6 figures dropped from 34,99€ to 27,99€ at the beginning of the year? Thank you.

5. Waves:
Can we expect a higher frequency of Waves/amount of figures in The Vintage Collection in 2019 and beyond? As far as I know there will only be 3 waves released by the end of 2018, which contain mostly repacks of the former retailer exclusive Black Series...

6. Will future #haslab projects (e.g. dioramas, playsets, vehicles) be a little smaller/easier to afford than the #Khetanna and can they be backed internationally, too?
How will future projects be handled? Will there be only as many units produced as pre-ordered or will they be available at regular retail, too? Please, don't forget the rest of the world.
Greetings from Germany!

7. SDCC Exclusives:
It was certainly a surprise that Dr. Aphra won the last Fan's Choice poll. And the recent annoucement of the 3-Pack with BT-1 and 0-0-0 was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one! This was such a smart decision to release both of her droids, too! Didn't take much tooling and will not only pay for the new mold of Aphra, but also bring big profit. Talking about profit:
Why is it another exclusive? Will this 3-pack also be available in Europe? Prices on the secondary market are always no fun - especially for exclusives...thanks!

8. Legends/Expanded Universe:
Can we expect to see more characters of Legends/EU in The Vintage Collection?
Characters from videogames like Satele Shan, a new Darth Revan & Darth Malak, Sith Troopers, Darth Sion, Kazdan Paratus would be wonderful! And also repacks would be urgently needed! Prices for Exar Kun & Ulic Qel- Droma are insane by now as you already know, too...just bring back the Comic Packs, please...

9. Selection of characters:
How are characters selected for The Vintage Collection? And how does Disney/Lucasfilm affect or decide about which character makes the final cut?

10. Count Dooku:
As already mentioned above several times: Please, give Count Dooku some dedication and release him on a VC card. He hasn't been available since 2010...even a repack would do since you already made excellent versions of him in 3.75"! Thank you.

11. Cardbacks:
Why are the cardbacks of the new TVC figures thinner/more bendable than the ones released between 2010 and 2012? Was this intentional or just because of the factory change in 2012/13?

Just randomly asked questions...make sure to post yours!

If you don't have an account on Instagram and don't want to sign up there, either, I can also post your quesrions for you.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:56:31 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 04:49:18 AM »
Well let me go sneak a question in while I am thinking about it.

And share this on the pages.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
Thank you, Tamer!

Today, this article was published over at JediTempleArchives:

Where The Vintage Collection Would Be If Things Were Different

Read the full details after the jump:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2018-09-10-where-the-vintage-collection-would-be-if-things-were-different/

I found this article VERY interesting...what are your thoughts?

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:37:14 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 02:45:10 AM »
I think we can all wish and dream, but when it comes down to it we have to understand its a business, Hasbro has to pay the license fee, and they are always gonna go for what they feel is the most bang for the least of their buck. I also think right now the six inch line is their holy cash cow and most of the energy is gonna be spent there.

That being said, I am glad they are still working with the unofficial fan sites and trying to gauge interest and what we want. I think we have those sites to thank for bring back the vintage line at all if truth be told.

I will try to find some time to read the article, but those are my initial thoughts.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 06:49:50 AM »
I think we can all wish and dream, but when it comes down to it we have to understand its a business, Hasbro has to pay the license fee, and they are always gonna go for what they feel is the most bang for the least of their buck. I also think right now the six inch line is their holy cash cow and most of the energy is gonna be spent there.

That being said, I am glad they are still working with the unofficial fan sites and trying to gauge interest and what we want. I think we have those sites to thank for bring back the vintage line at all if truth be told.

I will try to find some time to read the article, but those are my initial thoughts.

I agree, Tamer. That's very true! I still have mixed feelings about how unequally the TBS 6 and TVC 3.75" lines are treated by Hasbro.

Paul Harrison also posted an article about his mixed feelings on JTA:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2019-02-05-the-vintage-collection-smokescreen/

This is how I feel, too! When The Vintage Collection returned last year, hopes were so high. By now this has changed. With still lasting love and faith I call it "The Repack Collection".
Hasbro need to finally get out good products there. And even existing exclusives like Rey (Jedi Training) or the Mimban Stormtrooper still need to hit retail...

- Philipp   

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:10 AM »
Like I said before Hasbro is always doing the juggling act. Its a business. Of course they are gonna try to saturate the market with repacks if folks will still buy em with a vintage card. My big thing is the articulation. At least if we are gonna have to buy em make sure they have 14 points of arty. I also think a big thing that is taking a big hit is the vehicle line too. All we can do is try to encourage them here with the fan sites and keep letting them know what we want while practicing common sense with our pocketbooks so they can see this repack nonsense won't cut it. And then you throw in the discount chains like five below and Ollies and this gets even more convoluted.