Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi  (Read 4505 times)

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
Obi-Wan Kenobi
« on: March 09, 2022, 04:18:05 PM »
I'm not seeing a thread for this show so I hope it's ok to start one.
Here is the 1st. trailer.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 03:22:38 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 03:23:57 AM »
It was high time to start a thread for it. I thought it was awesome.

Seeing the Inquisitors was fantastic. It is gonna be awesome to see maybe Uncle Owen is a bit of a rabble rouser too.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 09:27:45 AM »
This has potential.  0/
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 03:45:35 PM »
The only thing I saw that I didn't agree with is the shape of the Grand Inquisitors head.
The GI does not have a round head. The tats/adornments look correct but the head needs to be a lot more oval shaped to where it almost has a pointy top.
Other than that the trailer looks great.
I'm guessing that since Kenobi is due to premier late May this show will be a major attraction
for Celebration. But since Celebration runs from May 26th-29th it will be interesting to see how it will be incorporated.
However, with disnys history of disappointment I'm not gonna get overly excited until I se the series.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 04:38:15 AM »
Yeah, I figure there is a fine line between cgi and what they let go.

I guess the Inquisitor was one of em. I have seen a lot of hurt feelings about it on the Facebook. Just kinda makes me chuckle. Still guess if folks ain't whining they ain't healthy.

I am looking forward to it. I have it in my head to not let the outside noise influence me at all on this one. Not that I did too much on BOBF.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 06:17:06 PM »
Having watched the 2 episode premier of "Obi-Wan Kenobi", I am kind of conflicted.

While it is great seeing Ewan Mcgregor back in the role again, as well as the returning Prequel actors, and I absolutely LOVE little 10 year-old Leia's portrayal, the 2 episodes just seem "cheap" overall.

The wardrobe for the background citizens is incredible and really fits into the established aesthetics of the various social classes seen in previous installments of the franchise, but many of the featured and main characters look like amateur cosplayers. The Inquisitors look terrible, from makeup to fake plastic/fibreglass armor and crappy pleather uniforms. Things that should have been striking and impressive, like the dinosauroid bounty hunter looked unfinished (oversized velociraptor-ish head, neck and upper torso, but basically human everything else and no tail). In fact, the somewhat cool head but lackluster body seems to be the series' go-to choice for non-human characters.

The digital effects also go from beautifully rendered (mostly spacecraft) to shoddily composited (Eopie walking through the sand, etc.), sometimes in the same shot.

The plot kind of works. Seeing the monotony of Obi-Wan's life in exile is heartbreaking and Leia's rescue was (mostly) exciting, but the hackneyed, overused and tired "overly ambitious junior officer recklessly endangers mission" was just lazy writing. The false Jedi hustler was an interesting concept (that was done in a far superior manner in the old "Expanded Universe" that Disney keeps raping...I mean cherry picking), but the choice of actor just killed any chance it had of being a good or memorable addition to the story.

I still, mostly, enjoyed the 2 episodes and will watch the remaining ones, but I am not overly impressed as of yet. Hopefully it improves as it progresses.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 03:16:51 AM »
I hear you Dan. Feeling pretty much the same way.

It is new Star Wars so that is nice. I was kinda hoping Obi wouldn't have been as weak as he is. I guess learning the force isn't like riding a bicycle.

It will be interesting when we finally get to see Vader too.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
I'm a little late getting to this ball game since I wasn't able to see the first two episodes until Tuesday. I will forgo my usual long review and just give my basic thoughts.
As a Star Wars show it's pretty good.
I loved Little Leia. Her personality is spot on with what we will see from Princess Leia.
Some of the dialogue is very campy and makes me question the abilities of the writers to maintain the high level of quality we came to experience when George Lucas was steering the ship.
Having said that I will say that I liked the premise of the show and the direction it was taking for the 1st. two episodes. Now for the negatives.
Obi Wan working in a meat packing plant??? Total Bantha poodoo.
Obi Wan now a dejected, downtrodden, despondent, miserable and dispirited shell of his former self?? Horsehockey.
Once again the dips at dudsney attempt to totally destroy one of the strongest characters in the Star Wars saga.
I will end with this observation on episode 3. Take the wayback machine back to 1977. Darth Vader says to Obi Wan Kenobi: "when I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
Obviously Vader is no longer "the learner." He is now a master of the dark side.
Given this revelation how can Vader and Obi Wan possibly meet in this time line much less have a lightsaber battle??????

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 03:51:11 AM »
Yeah Ron, I have to admit I am not liking this new version of Obi. Matter of fact me and my daughter are watching the prequels just so I can show her how tough Obi was even when he was still a Padawan Learner. I don't see him being so lost and feeble now. Not one bit.

I know they are trying to show us the side of Obi that is human, but man I want the hero Jedi I remember as a kid and from the prequels.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 05:03:13 PM »
Two things Tamer.
1. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how this Obi Wan-Vader encounter fits into the original timeline.
2. You get to watch Star Wars with your daughter. I am so envious.

Offline kalzeth

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
Yeah Ron, I have to admit I am not liking this new version of Obi. Matter of fact me and my daughter are watching the prequels just so I can show her how tough Obi was even when he was still a Padawan Learner. I don't see him being so lost and feeble now. Not one bit.

I know they are trying to show us the side of Obi that is human, but man I want the hero Jedi I remember as a kid and from the prequels.

Agree 100 percent. This doesn’t feel like Obi Wan to me. Some trauma sure. Broken, no. He was a hero and one of the best masters ever. I don’t think he would act like this. Plus agree on the questionable continuity

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »
I am thinking they just need to get Favereaux and Filoni on this. Sometimes I wonder if the folks who are writing these new shows even have watched the series and read any of the books on the characters they are writing for?

I know its Disney's baby now and they can do what they want, but cmon!

I guess I will get labled a hater, but man I am having a hard time with him in his current incarnation.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »
I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 02:14:47 PM »
I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday.

And?????

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 01:10:12 AM »
And?????

It's always nice to see more details of Tatooine.
Seeing how they interpret Alderaan is also nice.
Little Leia is portrayed really well by this young actress in my opinion.

Other than that I cannot say anything nice about this show. Di$ney, KK and everyone in charge just don't understand Star Wars. I'm not a fan of any agenda theories, but it became obvious that they like to portray male characters weak and female ones strong. And that's okay if it wasn't completely contradicting a character as we had known him before - like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett.
I think Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are a complete disaster and neither deserve both brilliant actors nor do their beloved characters justice.

To me the biggest and most fundamental mistake of the third episode is the confrontation between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan before A New Hope. Of course it's cool to see them fight - to me every lightsaber fight is a win, but the dialogue, overall emotion and location was poorly executed.
George Lucas' work shines brighter than ever before in contrast to that trash by Disney.

I wish I could say anything more nice about the show, but I can't so I decided to remain silent.