Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 136648 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
"The Michaelangelo of Ewoks" - that could stick:)
I can't believe I posted without correcting errors...d'oh. Had to go back and fix them.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #451 on: July 31, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
"The Michaelangelo of Ewoks" - that could stick:)
I can't believe I posted without correcting errors...d'oh. Had to go back and fix them.

It's cool. I know what you mean.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:36:53 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
  The last couple of days, I've been working on the groundwork. First, I made a subterranean root system, out of dead bonsai, and grape vine roots. This will mostly be covered, but a few little roots will be visible. Then I mixed the soil using; white glue/water coffee grounds, tea leaves, dead leaves sand and roots. Then I spread it around the base. It's still damp wet, but I went ahead and painted it today. I was going for a terracotta color, like most of the Endor references. It looks less orange in reality, the lighting in my hobby room is terrible. Then I highlighted the emerging roots.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:55:26 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #453 on: August 02, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
Wow, that ground work is fantastic. So good to see if go from the ground up so to pun. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #454 on: August 02, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
Wow, that ground work is fantastic. So good to see if go from the ground up so to pun. Off to share.
Thanks Tamer. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's good to get back to my roots.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #455 on: August 03, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »
I pretty much finished the groundwork, I'd like to get some more small shrubs or low plants. I started by sifting my Endor Forest in a bag, into fine, medium and course, and separated them into different containers.

After that, dabbed on white glue one small section at a time, to the places I wanted my forest litter. I applied the course, then the medium.

Lastly for a finishing touch, I rubbed some areas, where I wanted bare spots.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:22:29 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #456 on: August 03, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
Looks pretty fantastic, JD! Your forest in a bag looks very accurate! Thanks for the detailed description!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #457 on: August 03, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
Looks pretty fantastic, JD! Your forest in a bag looks very accurate! Thanks for the detailed description!
Thank you DM! I'll reveal my secret family recipe for Endor in a bag. I started off with coffee grounds and tea leaves. Then I'd just pick up, pine branches, and dead material from coniferous trees, pine, cedar, Norfolk Island pines are awesome for this.  Richmond, in their Devine wisdom, thought it would be a great idea to plant Redwoods throughout the city. They did the same thing decades ago with Willow oaks, and it tore the sidewalks to shreds. But at any rate, I grabbed up some small branches in the fall when they shed. I ground this all up by hand, but do yourself a favor and get a cheap coffee grinder, and chop it all up. For color, I added cinnamon, chilli powder, parsley flakes and ground up moss. I made this two years ago, and the color held up pretty well. Also I had an old stale cigar, that I chopped up, and it actually makes for pretty good brown leaves. That's pretty much it. That's my secret recipe. Like don't tell anybody, or anything. Lol.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:50:36 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #458 on: August 04, 2019, 07:05:08 AM »
Wow that looks real. Thanks for sharing how you did this! Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #459 on: August 04, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
JD, outstanding mate the whole thing looks awesome.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »
Wow that looks real. Thanks for sharing how you did this! Off to share.
Thank you Tamer. I just have the swinging logs to do, and that'll be it. I have a pretty good idea of how I'll do it.
JD, outstanding mate the whole thing looks awesome.

Ron
Thank you Ron. This small scale stuff is pretty simple, especially with the wide variety of products available. Well it's even easy to make my own products that work.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
Your vegetation work on this from the trees to the ground flooring and plants is just fantastic.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
Your vegetation work on this from the trees to the ground flooring and plants is just fantastic.
Thank you Tamer. I tell ya, it's hard to stay humble around here. I just can't wait to get my Stormtroopers. I've been playing with the Mimban troopers, because they have the same sculpt/articulation. I can get them in some cool action poses. The soft hands make for gripping different items, easy too. I'm going to see if I can form the hands into different positions using hot and cold water.  But I'll get into all that when I finish this, and get the troopers, whenever that may be.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:21:08 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
JDeck - that forest floor looks really outstanding. Your composition of layers worked very well and rubbing out some bare spots adds that extra realism. Excellent attention to details.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #464 on: August 12, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
JDeck - that forest floor looks really outstanding. Your composition of layers worked very well and rubbing out some bare spots adds that extra realism. Excellent attention to details.
Thank you Starchaser! It's too bad most of the root system was covered, it looked pretty gnarly. Maybe a dagobah diorama is in order for the future.