Imperial Creative Engineering > Resources and References

Using Broken glass shards in front of an LED fire effect

(1/3) > >>

Clonehead:
I came across this by accident. I had been working on the T2 cab, adding a lighted fire effect to the coin doors with LED nano lights and a programmable light controller for train enthusiasts. In the night, as old guys do, I stumbled to the bathroom and had knocked this glass jar ” the one with the cotton balls I had dipped into for a light diffuser” right off the counter to smash onto the floor. While picking up the glass, I wondered how the LED nano lights would react to shining through the glass. I had worked with fiber optics before and liked the idea of being able to move the light anyways. I found with particular placement, the shards would not only transfer light like the fiber but would sometimes magnify and intensify it.

I will experiment more but Check out this video. The digital camera has a hard time capturing the appearance correctly but this stuff looks wild
https://youtu.be/vlaDEFTHqss

Tamer:
Thanks for sharing this Clint. Awesome effect.

Definitely on the front pages.

Clonehead:
For the led fire effect, the cheaper route to take is definitely this $12 set of pico chip leds tied to a 3 way fire circuit. 1 red Flickr and 2 yellow blinks at different speeds.  It has a built in resistor,A model rectifying device also makes it work for ac/dc/dcc “digital command and control for digital model train stuff” and, I believe at either polarity. Pretty easy to hook up. Works at 5-19 volts, what a range, so, with this small set, the scale campfire could be emulated well enough and powered by a 9 volt battery, if you wanted.

I’ll try to shoot some test footage of this and the other two fire emulation circuits that I bought so you can see how they run and how they would need to be powered.

Tamer:
Looking forward to seeing the video on this.

Clonehead:
Still stumbling around with the editing on these, soundtrack as well.
The good stuff starts at about 2:00
I need to chop off that first part

I was on the deck looking for twigs at 5:00 this morning for the campfire

Haven’t thrown any glass or fiber at it yet for flames but this will give you an idea where you can start and how easy it is.

That is an old diorama I had started years ago to experiment with staining the plaster of Paris-cast rocks

https://youtu.be/OFQHxx7eaWE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version