Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Vehicles

painting ships and stuff in general question

(1/2) > >>

Jedi Minstrel:
Hey guys, do a lot of you folks take the existing paint off of ships and action figures before applying your own paint?
Joe

hangarbay94:
Nope...I just paint over...

Most figures and ships are moulded in their colours (except faces) so you shouldn't have any loss of detail.

For vehicles I always use a plastic primer as it helps the paint stick to the surface. For figures I just use acrylic paints, either games workshop or Revell paints.

Jedi Minstrel:
thanks Jules.  I'm just considering other projects I'm thinking of.

Clonehead:
I just paint over the figures existing color. I usually put a primer coat on to dull the original color as well as givenyoir paint something to stick to. At the factory, most figures and parts have a mold release on them that makes the parts slightly oily.

DocOutlands:
I've done both - just overpainting the existing colors and used a primer coat.  For me, it's a bit of hit or miss on the primer.  I do strongly suggest using Krylon Fusion for the base coat, though.  A good, thorough washing of the fig with a good degreasing dish liquid will also help in removing the mold release residue.  Acrylics are the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version