Author Topic: spuda's customs 2 (update: older ahsoka )  (Read 29920 times)

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
Re: spuda's customs 2 (update: young boba)
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »
is the belt removable ?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »
is the belt removable ?

with a little bit of work the belt IS removable.  the belt is glued into the back of the waist via a small peg on the belt with a matching socket in the back of the figure's waist.  The leg loops are free to be pulled off down the legs but you have to work the glued in peg on the back of the belt itself out before being able to slip it off. 

When I took it off to paint the figure I just made a small exacto knife cut right at the middle of the back of the belt, this allowed me to more easilly work out the glued in peg and more easilly slip off the belt.  When I finished painting it I just put the belt back on and re-glued it in place so that it wouldn't come back apart.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
I like your young Fett. Again, Hasbro has been bested.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool to see a young Han Solo or Lando Calrisian?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »
Wouldn't it be cool to see a young Han Solo or Lando Calrisian?

would be very cool.  I'd like to see more young characters (annie's friends maybe from ep1 maybe?) to give us a few more variety of figures to use for customs...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2010, 05:49:13 AM »
You think you might paint another helmet to match the armor and add the cape? This really does look good and is so much improved over the CW version.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
You think you might paint another helmet to match the armor and add the cape? This really does look good and is so much improved over the CW version.

I believe that will be my next step.  I plan on repainting the jango helmet to match and adding his insignias and probably the cape as well. 

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I can't wait to see it Spuda. You're making me want to pick up a 2nd one just to try this.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
I was reading above where you were mentioning a young Han Solo and I wish they would do an episode of Clone Wars where Obi-Wan is teaching a group of younglings and tells the story of a mission of he and Qui-Gon. It would be cool to see Qui-Gon in action again.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
this started out as just another in my series of mandos... I've done Ice, Water, Desert, Stealth, Etc... but have never successfully done a very good forest or cammo mandalorian armor... 

Inspired by Jedi-wolf's wookie hunter mandos I finally started work on my own jungle mandos.   Since jediwolf's main wookie hunter mando is a re-paint (basically) of the new jungle commando duke, and I realy loved the bare-armed look to the figure I wanted that same jungle commando feel to my figure. 

so I started working with the jungle duke figure and wound up ONLY using his legs, kit bashing them (plus a ton of other crap) onto a POC zartan torso...

this is what resulted:

interestingly enough as soon as I'd started this project, with no knowledge of the project a friend of mine called me up wanting me to do a cammo version of the young boba fett figure.  So as soon as I finished my figure I started on his and snapped a few shots of them together as "father and son" before I took the young boba to my friend.

my friend wanted the young boba to re-card... so I went a different direction with the helmet.  I didn't make it removable and left the boba head unaltered.  Instead the helmet is a solid alternate head, just remove boba's and pop on the helmet version and voila.  Since this will all be recarded into a bubble the helmet will just sit to the side of the figure anyway.

and with this project I've come to realize WHY I've put off doing a jungle mando for so long... I HATE PAINTING CAMMO.  It never looks as good as I hope for when it's finished!  Truthfully I don't particularly care for the way the young boba turned out, however my friend was realy impressed and loved it, and that I guess, is all that matters...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
updated young boba,

added gauntlets (hollowed out and trimmed down a set from jango), repainted helmet to match, cape, and I rebuilt the details of the jet-pack (added larger missile, and side mounted nozzles instead of bottom mounted).

enjoy:

there are some mistakes... I accidentally used the wrong shade of green to correct some errors on the top of the helmet... somethign I didn't notice until the photos!..  the flexible helmet was dificult to keep paint secure and in taking it on and off after the paint dried it warped some of the thicker areas (mainly the yellow).
Paint rub on the joints, knees and elbows mainly are still an issue.

despite those flaws I'm still realy proud of the way this one turned out. I also think he looks a ton better with the gauntlets and corrected jet-pack.

Offline von reinhardt

• Evilive
  • Commander
    • bountyhunterreinhard
Re: spuda's customs 2 (update: little boba 2 and jungle mando)
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »
Very cool, i really like young boba...great job mate.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
Seriously BAD-@$$ jungle mando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What head is that?  Recondo?

Great work on those young Boba's, too.  I agree with you on camo patterns - that's pretty much why I stopped building 1/35-scale models.  The old 6-color "chocolate chip" desert pattern camo was the only one I feel like I ever got right.

Now you got me thinking about casting a pair of Jango arms for making smaller gauntlets...  gee, thanks!  ;)  ;D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
it is recondo.

good luck casting the gauntlets... What I've done for my casted gauntlets never worked 100% in the past and is why I just used existing stock ones that I modified to this purpose. 

Before I casted a set of solid fore-arms with the gauntlets sculpted on and then just glued them in place for the final figure.  This is what I did to make the gauntlets on my Ice Mando figure a while back.

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »
sweet jungle mando it looks awesome