Author Topic: Wizard World Chicago  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Wizard World Chicago
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »
I'll be there on most days, so I hope to see some of you others as well!  This year looks to be a great line up so far, with guests including

Billy Dee Williams
Ray Park
Doug Wangler (model for Quinlan Vos)
Daniel Logan
Orli Shoshan
Peter Mayhew
Jeremy Bulloch
Dave Barclay (Puppeteer, Return of the Jedi)
Tom Kane (voice of Yoda, The Clone Wars)

And plenty of other guests!  And don't forget about the TONS of collectibles to be bought as well!

http://www.wizardworld.com

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: Wizard World Chicago
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
august six, right?

I want to go to another con this year, I was looking at the fan days thing in october, but this could work as well, :)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
This is shaping up to be a pretty good looking event, so if you're looking for another one to hit, this may be it!

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »
I guess I could bug segnett, see if he'd be interested, chicago is only six hours from here.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
There ya go!  It'd be some good fun, and if you're looking for items for your collection or customs, this is a GREAT place to find them!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
Well folks, Wizard World is JUST around the corner!  4 days in fact!  With that said, we here at the Shipyards are giving all of you a chance to ask questions of your favorite celebs due to be at the event!  While I don't yet have the entire list of who I'll be sitting down with, below are the names I'm going after.  Feel free to ask questions in this thread and I will take them with me when I go!  Here is who will be there...

Billy Dee Williams
Peter Mayhew
Ray Park
Daniel Logan
Orli Shoshan
Dave Barclay
Maria De Aragon
Jeremy Bulloch
Richard Lepalmentier

Ask away, and I'll do my best to ask them!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
Each one of these people that you get to talk to need to be asked what their favorite SW movie is and why, Pat.
  I meant to ask Peter that when I met him and ran out of time.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
I've never been much of one to hunt down and read celeb interviews, so some of what I ask may have already been answered before.  Anyway, here's some questions I would love to see answers to from pretty much any of the biggies.

What is your most fond memory of your work on Star Wars?
Do you have any action figures of your character?  (I think Mr. Bulloch's should read "characerS"!)
Do family members buy you Star Wars-related gifts for special occasions?

What has been the most exciting project you have worked on - as an actor - to date?
Which actor or actress has been the most fun to work with?
Of the actors and actresses you have worked with, from whom have you learned the most?
What project do you wish you could go back to and redo in order to improve your part in it?
What project challenged you to grow the most as an actor?
If you could take on any role in any project, as an actor, who would you most like to portray?
If you could be involved in the remaking of any "classic" film, which one would you pick?

(for the older folks - Mssr's Mayhew, Williams, Bulloch, etc)
Has the "staying power" of Star Wars surprised you?

(for the newer folks)
Were you a Star Wars fan before being involved as an actor?

(most of all, I would appreciate it if you would convey the following sentiment to every Star Wars person - live actor, voice actor, crewmember, or whatever - you get the opportunity to talk to...)

Thank you for being a part of the team that has given us such a special, enjoyable place to play for over thirty years.  Every time your name is listed as a "Star Wars guest," I say another, quiet "Thank you for staying involved."  

====================
Thanks for doing this for us, man!  I'd love to get to talk to some of these folks myself, but since I'm not going, I'll send some of my questions by you.  I'm sure not everybody will be amenable to all my questions, but those are some of the main ones I always wonder about.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
well put, doc! That posting in itself would keep Pat busy with those sw celebs.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
I wanna know if any of em have been contacted about the new TV show we keep hearing about.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »
Greetings from Day 1, aka Preview Night, at the Chicago Comic Con!  Once known as Wizard World Chicago, this has been the Midwest's biggest convention.  While it pales in comparison to the greats such as San Diego Comic Con, or the New York Comic Con, the guest line up looks to be the biggest we've seen here yet!

As I arrived at the show, something felt a bit off.  The set up has been the same since I've been attending since 2002, yet this year, it had a different look immediately.  The autograph area had been greatly expanded, allowing more room for the many stars on hand.  The first I witnessed, which gave me goose bumps, was Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca himself!  I introduced myself and made small chit chat regarding his many appearances in recent months.  Unfortunately, Mr. Mayhew declined our request for an interview, citing his dislike for doing website interviews.  Who am I to argue with a Wookie!  I did manage to at least get a photo with him, which will always be cherished.  I took a quick cruise around the Exhibitor section, noticing the lack of the heavy hitters, Marvel and DC.  For a comic book convention, you'd expect to see these greats on hand as usual.  Tonner Dolls had some nice items on display, no Star Wars however.  Diamond Select did have the newest 1/4 scale figures on hand, and the new Grand Moff Tarkin on display!  Very realistic, very detailed, I am trying very hard to stay away from these!  I don't have anywhere to put them!

Next, I took a fevered jaunt through the vendor section in search of fantastic deals!  A couple of my past favorites, such as Amok Time Toys, weren't here this year, which was disappointing.  I did manage to pick up a TIE Fighter Pilot mini bust for $35 from White Wizard Toys, an OTC Y-Wing Fighter (which I have been searching for FOREVER!) for only $35 from The Outer Rim, an Admiral Ackbar Mighty Mugg for a mere $10, and even a loose Darth Vader's Apprentice (Sith version) for another $10.  Not too shabby for the first day's haul!

The Artist Alley had many on hand, some of which do some Star Wars art.  Still not full yet, as the show isn't fully underway yet, I'm looking forward to meeting more of them throughout the weekend.

Many booths remain empty at this time, but it isn't unusual for a Thursday night.  Stay tuned to Imperialshipyards.net for up to the minute coverage as we upload it live from the Chicago Comic Con!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Cool buddy! To bad about the Peter M interview. At least you got to meet the guy.
Have a good time, pat.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
Check out the Events buttons off the front page Shipyarders as well as the lastest news post. You can see what Pat got into today.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:32:36 PM by Tamer »

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 02:26:15 AM »
Sweet stuff Pat!..looks very good indeed. wish i was there........ :( ;D

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
It's Day 3, and what a zoo!  the place is pact with fans from all genres, and it's amazing!  The Autograph Alley is packed, with stars galore!  I saw many Star Wars celebrities, though I didn't talk to too many as of yet.  There were so many people getting autographs and pictures, it was hard to talk to any one guest!  I did shoot the breeze with Anthony Daniels and Doug Wangler a little bit before I headed off to the Ray Park Q&A.  Here are some of the details I got from his presentation...

His favorite role to date was Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe because he wanted to be a ninja as a kid, and Snake Eyes was always his favorite!. 
     Disappointed that Darth Maul died so easily.  "It sucked, really!"
     Ray wanted to use his horns to headbutt Qui Gon Jinn and use them as weapons.   He also wanted a more gruesome death, but George Lucas said it would be too gruesome and graphic.
     His primary form of martial arts is Wushu Kung Fu, and is his favorite.  He does try to learn some new forms from others when he has the chance.
     When asked what was his "Geek Thing," it was martial arts!  he's also a big fan of weapons, houses them all in his garage, and loves to attend these conventions.
     Production for "Iron Fist" was underway, but Marvel reacquired the rights to the film, and according to them via Park, if it would be made, it would be with Luke Cage as well.
     His dream role is Iron Fist.  Huge fan of Iron Fist!
     Ray would also love to be in one of the Batman movies, somewhere in the Batman universe!
     Even though he uses a double bladed lightsaber as Darth Maul, and a katana as Snake Eyes, Ray is NOT a swordsman!  The only time he uses them or practices with them is if it is for a movie role!

You can see the entire Q&A on your computer by going to Iclips.net, as well as the other presentations from Wizard World Chicago!

As of this moment, I am sitting in line awaiting my chance to sit through Steve Sansweet's presentation on Star Wars that begins at 5pm CST!  Stay tuned for more!