Author Topic: Singapore Art Museum's Toy Carnival  (Read 3446 times)

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
Singapore Art Museum's Toy Carnival
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
I'm not sure what it will be like, its the first time i've heard of something like it. But they are going to have lots of toy displays by vendors and collectors, with the local 501st garrison going as well. They've also provided the local Star Wars forum (and the only one, since there's so few of us around) a booth! But we there aren't exactly a lot of diorama builders here... its going to be held on 5th July

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Singapore Art Museum's Toy Carnival
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
Jenki, welcome to the Shipyards.  It sure sounds like a great time. I sure hope you take a few pics and show em off on the boards here. We would love to see what is happening there.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
Jenki!! Glad you could make it! Welcome to the shipyards!

Yeah, buddy, if you can, you will have to take some pictures of this event for us. I am curious about what it's all about.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »
Welcome!..nice to see another in my ..(well)..area..(.lol)... here..........

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
lolx it isnt really... the same area~ its a 4 hours flight!!! and tons of water in between x) yep yep.. i'll try to get pictures. lots of new 501st people these days, so far i've only known of one other local who customises (but he only customise to make characters that were never released by hasbro/kenner at the point in time)... so it kinds of makes me the only one around who makes random customs x.x

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
I hope you find the customs threads and show off some of your creations!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »
lolx it isnt really... the same area~ its a 4 hours flight!!! and tons of water in between x) yep yep.. i'll try to get pictures. lots of new 501st people these days, so far i've only known of one other local who customises (but he only customise to make characters that were never released by hasbro/kenner at the point in time)... so it kinds of makes me the only one around who makes random customs x.x
Well consider you self alone, no longer, my friend. This site is an international customizing affair.
  Yep, I am anxious to see your stuff.

clint

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »
Well consider you self alone, no longer, my friend. This site is an international customizing affair.
  Yep, I am anxious to see your stuff.

clint

Well yes 4 hrs i can concur with that but it's better than 15 hrs to LA...lol.....anything you need mate, just holler. This site is the Shizzle!

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:51:03 AM »
thanks x3

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:51:56 AM »
Jenks, what kind of Star Wars stuff is available in your area and how much does it cost?

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:17:03 AM »
mmm mostly whatever is available in mainstream retail. those past releases are normally very expensive and found in very selected scalper shops. in fact we dun even get gi-joe in retail, only found in specialty toy shops, and even then its normally expensive and very limited.

the most recent waves here costs 18.90 SGD a figure, 59.90 SGD for a vehicle, and 38.90 SGD for that new figure/vehicle (crab droid, barc speeder with clone). that translate to about 12.90 USD per figure, 41.10 USD per vehicle and 26.70 for deluxe set. it used to be 16.90 per figure and 49.90 per vehicle.

Turbo tank was recently released for 230 SGD, about 157 USD

Retail shops that 'officially' carries star wars stuff often have discounted sales a few times a year at 20% discounts, but the scalpers here always get the wind of it before collectors do. they will buy most of the good stuff from these sales, jack up the price to maybe 22-30 dollars a figure and sell it in their shops or on local ebay. and considering the limited amount of stuff we get, it makes us turn to ebay international to get the figures we want.

for random and junk stuff, its kinda hard to find. most people who throw away their toys will dump it at salvation army, but the salvation army only keeps/resell very limited things (warehouse space is expensive here). i just went to one yesterday, not a single useful thing for customising.

as for dioramas, we cant really manage anything huge. space is very limited here as most of us live in small apartment flats, which is another reason why some of us don;t keep our figures mint-on-card. for me i like customising, makes it special (even if its just to give them a more articulated body)