Author Topic: Vader's Quest Chapter 9 "A Time to Lament"  (Read 3997 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Vader's Quest Chapter 9 "A Time to Lament"
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »
Holy crap, it's like Photo Novel heaven at the moment... so many new productions released in such a short space of time, yours just seemed to pop out of nowhere!

Well what can I say, this was an absolute treat. A change of pace and quite a tough writing challenge methinks. No real action here but you used comedy to full effect to keep the reader interested, and yes you got it just right. I was keen to read on always taking a brief pause to enjoy your photography and dio set up's. You are a master of dialogue full stop.

I enjoyed this chapter every bit as much I did all the others, and filling in the gap between Ep 4 & 5 is just an amazing time period to deal with so I'm just hooked. I just hope that JJ Abrahams has the same admiration for the movies as you clearly have. Including Jar Jar, which I never thought I'd see in a photonovel on these forums, was approached with a kind of respect that had me thinking "yea, he's credible".

Oh and mentioning Hangarbay 94 and Rancor Squadron gave me a big smile... you have attained the "Kwan" ...

In conclusion, this project hasn't changed since you started, and why should it, you've set your own standard, you have your own unique look and it all works perfectly.

Jules (your no1 fan)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:21:05 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »
Thanks Jules! Your comments mean a lot to me. We definitely share a love and respect for each other's photonovels.

Besides a shout out to you, there is also a shout out to Justin Cook with two "implied" characters in the background. Seeing as how neither character is actually named in this chapter - they "could" be from Justin's photonovel, or maybe not. I was a little leary of the homage to each of you (both of you have been an influence on my work) because I don't want something I do in my photonovel which is not entirely in the same time line as either of yours, to affect your stories. But then about the time I was putting this chapter together you mentioned your sabbatical away from X-Wing Alliance, so that kind of worked out anyway. Your photonovel was closer to the time frame as mine, so there is more of a possibility that Luke would have contact with the Rancors.

As mentioned earlier some of the dialogue in this chapter are easter eggs i.e. "shout outs" to other movies (The Postman & Transformers the movie). But Leia's speech is a homage to a very powerful Brit. This was done on purpose, because I believe this woman to have been one of the most powerful females (politically speaking) of our time. We'll see if this sparks anyone's interest. Of course I could simply have an American opinion on this, and the Brits actually hated her, but who knows!

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:47 PM »
 By the way Jules, I'm not sure if it's apparent; but you do realize that the Rodian character that talks to Luke is suppose to be Nessoo Graww? Right? So, it's not just that Rancor Squadron is mentioned, I sorta borrowed one of your characters!!

Jason

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »
Commented at YF, but in the spirit of Jules' recent post, let me add to the conversation here, as well.

For some reason, PNs set during the OT and featuring the classic characters are historically extremely rare.  I can only think of the awesome "Old Friends" series that trod a similar time frame.

As such, this is a particularly appealing endeavor and fortunately it is as consistently awesome and entertaining as one would hope.

You really just nail the "feel" of the classic trilogy and the essence of the characters, while also filling in a lot of "gaps", not just between the OT and the PT but between what we imagined the characters doing in between films.  I never read much EU on the subject and didn't care for what I did read, so this stuff is as good as gospel for me.  It really does feel like getting another glimpse into that old familiar galaxy.

I confess to not catching many of your easter eggs, aside from the Rykrof cameo, so please hurry up with your "list", as you often do!

And bring us another chapter asap!  I have loved this series from Day 1 and I will happily rancor joust Jules to reclaim my crown as "#1 Fan".

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
By the way Jules, I'm not sure if it's apparent; but you do realize that the Rodian character that talks to Luke is suppose to be Nessoo Graww? Right? So, it's not just that Rancor Squadron is mentioned, I sorta borrowed one of your characters!!

Jason

Well that is just awesome! a cross pollination of characters across to your novel is such a perfect touch....

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »
Commented at YF, but in the spirit of Jules' recent post, let me add to the conversation here, as well.

For some reason, PNs set during the OT and featuring the classic characters are historically extremely rare.  I can only think of the awesome "Old Friends" series that trod a similar time frame.

As such, this is a particularly appealing endeavor and fortunately it is as consistently awesome and entertaining as one would hope.

You really just nail the "feel" of the classic trilogy and the essence of the characters, while also filling in a lot of "gaps", not just between the OT and the PT but between what we imagined the characters doing in between films.  I never read much EU on the subject and didn't care for what I did read, so this stuff is as good as gospel for me.  It really does feel like getting another glimpse into that old familiar galaxy.

I confess to not catching many of your easter eggs, aside from the Rykrof cameo, so please hurry up with your "list", as you often do!

And bring us another chapter asap!  I have loved this series from Day 1 and I will happily rancor joust Jules to reclaim my crown as "#1 Fan".

Thanks Lance!! No need to Rancor joust, you BOTH can be my #1 Fans - which is quite an honor to me. That really means a lot to me.

Ok. Here is the list of "Easter Eggs" in this chapter

* The title "A Time to Lament" is loosely taken from Ecclesiates 3:4

* Panna system "Ring Base" is taken from cartoon from Holiday Special

* The dialogue between Han & Leia was going to be a little more risque. I was going to borrow some dialogue from the t.v. show J.A.G. where the female laywer is talking to another woman who just rode in a jet about some people not liking to be "strapped down," and the woman replies that she didn't have a problem at all with being "strapped down." But I couldn't find the episode to use the dialogue, so I just dropped it.

* The Y-Wing in hyperspace - the hyperspace is actually a Windows desktop background.

* "Inside Hangar Bay 94" is of course a shout-out to Jules username, and his youtube videos "Inside the Hangar bay"

* Luke's "vintage" crack is a joke about the Naboo "vintage" figure.

* Scene with heroes flanked by Wookie and guards was actually photographed next to a 4ftx4ft glass block window in my bathroom. I've been trying to work that window in as a background for several chapters now!

* It is "implied" that Rykrof Enloe and his Wookie friend are two characters in this chapter

* The Rodian pilot is Nessoo Graww from "Rancor Squadron" of Jules' "X-Wing Alliance" photonovel

* Leia's speech is made up of famous Margaret Thatcher quotes. Growing up in the 80s, Thatcher was the most powerful female in politics of my youth.

* Leia's outfit is of course a throwback to Padme's outifit in AOTC

* Luke's conversation with the Shaak Ti custom (can't remember the ailien race name, she's not Shaak Ti by the way) is borrowed/adapted from the dialogue between Kevin Costner and Tom Petty in The Postman where Tom Petty actually plays himself.

* The background of Naboo was made with hand painted 4" PVC pipe for the columns and some wall sconces just flipped upside down

* Zartanus camouflage ability to actually turn invisible is a throwback to a GIJOE comic where Zartan does this in the Pit.

* Naboo pilot declares Dodonda is dead is borrowed from Perceptor's line concerning Optimus Prime in Transformers the Movie. I thought about having him say, "He's dead Leia. Leia, he's dead." But didn't know if I'd get tarred and feathered for having a Star Trek line in a Star Wars photonovel.

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
For those who may have never seen The Postman:

And here is Perceptor's line from Transformers the Movie (but with different music)

I know I'm a geek!

Jason