Author Topic: An Open Discussion About Distribution  (Read 1813 times)

Offline RebelAce

• Wedge Antilles' Wingman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Good Luck! See you at the rendezvous!"
An Open Discussion About Distribution
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »
Distribution sucks! You here this everywhere.  I've seen it on the SW forums, the G.I. Joe forums, and the Marvel Universe forums.  The past several years the relationship between distributors and retailers has been kind of a love/hate relationship.  I couldn't find a thread on here that talked about this so, I thought it would be neat to have an "open forum" type discussion to see what everyone's thoughts about this issue were.  My question(s) to anyone that reads this is: Why do you think distribution is so terrible in the toy market?   What is it that keeps Hasbro and retailers from getting us the toys we want?  And finally, What do you think can be done to fix it?  Answer as many or as few as you'd like.  I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, but a merely an interesting debate.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: An Open Discussion About Distribution
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
Distribution comes down to buying power and corporate structure.  The more you buy, the cheaper per unit they are, so your stores like Wal-Mart or Target can buy in much larger quantities than Toys R Us.  Your smaller stores, like online stores, can only buy so many, which is where the price hike comes from.  As for the actual distribution, it comes down to how businesses structure that sort of thing.  For example, when I worked at The Sports Authority, the corporation itself has one central buyer, nationwide.  That one person decides what to order for every store in the country and has it shipped to each store.  That's why when I worked in the Hunting, Fishing and Outdoors section, I received 2 Shark fishing poles at my store in Northwest Indiana.  Wal-Mart has regional buyers who buy for a 4-5 state region.  They get price quotes from the corporate office on items and buy that way.  The problem comes when new series comes out.  For example, the 2012 figures in the new packaging will be coming soon.  Stores don't understand what's collectible and what's not, and Hasbro just wants their stuff put on shelves.  So Hasbro will release the initial waves at a discounted price and Wal-Mart will buy them like crazy.  They'll get shipped to the stores, who will be oveloaded with cases upon cases of the first wave or 2.  After awhile, the ones people are looking for, and let's be honest, that collectors are looking for, and then the rest sit there.  SO in a month or two, when the new waves are ready, the Regional buyer will look at the inventory screen on their computer to see what their stores have in stock, and will show quite a bit still in stock at those stores, so they'll order considerably less with each new wave, until the end of the year when stock looks to be full and nothing is selling.  That's why those last waves are always the hardest to find.

On top of all of that, Hasbro does have buying minimums.  They force stores to buy x-amount of product, and then stores are stuck with things they don't need.  Additionally, towards the end of the year, stores go through all of their warehouses and clear out any remaining product they can find so that they can do their end-of-year inventory and keep their losses down. 

These are all things I've been told by managers at several stores, along with what Hasbro reps have told me when I've seen them in stores (which I haven't seen in a LONG time!).  The system is flawed to us, but really from a business sense, it's right on par.  The real victim are the collectors, who Hasbro has continually dismissed as a small fraction of the larger pie.

Offline RebelAce

• Wedge Antilles' Wingman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Good Luck! See you at the rendezvous!"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
From a business perspective I suppose that makes perfect sense.  I know that when Hasbro or any toy company are trying to kick off a new line they will sell the first assortment waves at discounted prices and retailers will buy in bulk.  The sad part is, after everybody gets what they want the pegwarmers sit there and take up valuable shelf space and new product gets stuck in the stockroom.  Like you said as a result fewer and fewer cases of the newer waves are ordered.  I'll bring in another factor in the equation that I think is changing up the game a little as well, and that is  e-tailers.  Is it possible with the increase of e-tailer popularity and the benefits of pre ordering hurting the sales on the retail front as well?  I know I am guilty of this from time to time as I just buy some of the figures I can't find at stores online.  You pay a little more, but you get what you want.  With options such as that, I wonder what kind of effect it has on the retail chains and brick and mortar stores.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
I think it's actually much more complex (and this is from a guy who knows two WM regional Managers). 

First is complexity, the lines are just to fragging complictated for people who are not intrenched (id collectors) to know one from the other, if a buyer is told order GI joe, he finds the first GI Joe on the list (most of the time wave 1 is at the top) which is why you see restock of wave 1 so much, but the guy filling out the form has no clue and has hondreds of items to get through.  Also ordering is not as "automated" as some appologists (often who never worked retail) try to say it is. 

Wave distrobution-when you sit and think for a moment, the current wave system shares equal blame, there is too many waves hitting at the same time and not enough time for sell through before the next wave hits, it's maddening the frequency (look at GI Joe 30th, 2 waves in December).   Sometimes waves are skipped alltogether because the previous wave didn't sell.

Case Ratios-How many have said thier stores are overloaded with clones, or MU Iron Men, or Artic Destros, ect.  Case ratios play a huge part is this, Clones packed in Vintage line cases just sat on the pegs, Iron Man had his own line but jammed up Marvel Universe as well, Joe didn't need artic Destro in every singe case from POC.  WHo can ever forget how carried forward Yarna was, she didn't need that.  And every time Hasbro figures it out they seem to forget it within a year. 

Frequency, this relates to complexity and ordering, but the waves are just hitting TOO FAST, there are just too many waves and too much crap in them.  I'd rather have four solid waves than 7 waves half filled with crap a year. 

Cheapness, Hasbro has been repainting some molds to death, much of the vintage line had been done but this was with minor tweeks, only MIB collectors picked up those tweaked figs as the rest of us had them.  marvel Univers is practically a line of repaints, GI Joe has gotten better as instead of straight repaints they switch parts out to make the figs look better, but Joe is just as guilty of it in the past. 

and so much more, it would take years to sorty out all these probms if Hasbro realised that by doing so they could double thier profits, but they don't 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
But don't those points only show that stores have people working for them that have no idea what their doing in those departments?

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
But don't those points only show that stores have people working for them that have no idea what their doing in those departments?

People in the stores don't control case ratios, frequency, ect.  Hasbro loves to blame the retailers rather than take acountability for some of it's own screw ups and just alter the plan to fit.  It's almost like they are trying to dictate to the customer what to buy rather than vice versa (that worked so well for the music industry after all). 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:25 AM »
its not like they hasbro doesnt know what is on the pegs out there. how many times have you seen a hasbro rep in a brick and mortar store? I have at least twice.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »
Of course apollogist try to claim the reps are hired by Hunter PR and not Hasbro, which is really lame (I mean PR firms don't stock shelves nor deal with retailers).