Author Topic: JediMerc's Customs: Harn Vandeth - EpVII Custom Contest Entry (upd 3/24/13)  (Read 38119 times)

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
It's been a long time coming, but this version of Starkiller is finally finished!  This has really been a labor of love for me, as figuring out exactly what parts I needed---and then slowly but surely acquiring them---was extremely time-consuming, to say the least.  My goal was to create the closest representation of Galen Marek in his flight suit that I could, but some liberties were certainly taken for aesthetic purposes.  

I kept the collar, though not screen accurate, because it looked good to me but also because I do not sculpt as of yet.  That piece allowed me to obtain the collared look I was going for without having to resort to buying/making anything else.  The front jacket straps took the greatest amount of time before I actually found something that was pliable, yet durable, enough to allow me to create the "fallen strap" look he has on the jacket in the game.  (In case anyone's wondering, it's a piece of the strap from TVC Yavin Han's medal, shaved down & modified.)  I also shaved down the leg straps: they just looked a bit too thick in their original form.

I believe that this is the best paint job I've done, so I'm proud of myself to say the least.  The images I had to work from generally did not show his lower half from the waist down, so the coloring is designed to resemble what I saw in the few screen shots available of this outfit.  

This fig turned out much better than I had hoped...I was afraid I'd butcher it in the process but, thankfully, that didn't happen!  Without further ado, here's Starkiller (Corellian Flight Suit):
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:44:28 PM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
Very nice job on him!!!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
a few more pics:

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
WOW! That is freaking awesome! For me this is your best work to date. Look at all those parts you bashed together! and the paint aps are just perfect. I really love this figure and my son and I have enjoyed watching you get to this point. He is going flip out when I show him this in the morning. Very well done this is one to be proud of!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
AWESOME!!!!!!!  Too Cool!  Very impressed!  Looks like something that may come out soon from Hasbro!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
Yes! Wonderful cohesion you have in this piece! I love a custom where all its parts and greeblies look like they a) all belong together and b) fit the theme! Bravo!

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
Yes! Wonderful cohesion you have in this piece! I love a custom where all its parts and greeblies look like they a) all belong together and b) fit the theme! Bravo!
couldn't agree more :)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
that looks seriously wicked mate ;D
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Absolutely beautiful!!  What a great looking figure.  Your Starkiller is really well executed!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
I like the new version of this that Hasbro is giving us, but it pales in comparison to this custom. I have to agree with Spry, this might be your best one to date. On the front page.

Offline mandohead

• Never mess with a mando
  • Cadet
Would u trade or sell him ever
I kill for a price

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
I have to agree with Spry, this might be your best one to date.

Thanks for the fp Tamer.  Yeah, I tended to not want to take many chances with some of my early customs, but I've become more confident that what I'm doing will result in something like this.  I'm glad you like how this one turned out---I am too!

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
That is a great Starkiller. It looks like it came fresh from the package!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
JM this one is a real beauty!! As Mungo said he could have just been popped of a card - top work and a custom that I'd be proud to own (let alone have made!)    :)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
JM, why I've not paid more attention to your work before I do not know, but this latest figure has certainly caught my eye.

All I can say is that I want one, and I have a serious case of Custom Figure Envy as it's one of my favorite customs of the year so far. I love the collection of parts, the whole thing just works really well.

Very inspiring indeed.