Author Topic: Darth More's Customs: Ugnaught Smith  (Read 49534 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Darth More's Customs: About Special Effects & Easter Eggs 21/04/2019
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
Well thats awesome. I remember having a member here called Rundown years ago. Wonder if its the same person. Off to share this auction.

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Darth More's Customs: About Special Effects & Easter Eggs 21/04/2019
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
Tamer, I read your comment, sent him a message on ebay and got an INSTANT reply! And you are right. It's him! He used to be active on here. Let's hope he'll return. I might had been on my "graduation break" when he shared his customs on here. But I think I remember seeing pictures of his brilliant customs with the grey background.
Thanks a lot for taking his auction to the front page! I hope this masterpiece will find a nice new home.

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I thought it might be the same customizer.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
The polished gun metal is impressive.  It looks really great!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
Excellent customers my friend , the metal looks excellent! Applause

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Tamer You were exactly right! Man, do I hope rundown70 will return to the yards...

customjedi Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it! I think it turned out quite well, too!

Stan Thank you, Stan! I really appreciate your feedback! You got my fullst respect for your incredible skills especially on painting headsculpts! I read your comment to your latest custom figure. I'll comment on that later and wish you all the best for a quick recovery.'

Thank you for your feedback, gnetlemen! I appreciate it a lot!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:02:29 AM by Darth More »

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
This is just a drill!!

FialaFernbrugg gave me precious advice and a hint at GIMP, which I already had forgotten about. GIMP is a complex and excellent freeware with incredible functions. I even forgot that I already had it installed on my PC since I only worked with Paint and Microsoft Office Power Point for my last projects.

So a big shoutout and thumbs up to FialaFernbrugg! Thank you so much for your support!

Check out his latest project here: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1624.msg211398#msg211398

So I played around with some images I found online and modified the Imperial Emblem for my Purge Troopers.

So here they are! I'll add a full turorial on how I edited them very soon.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:55:28 AM by Darth More »

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
So I posted these four images to see if my modifications worked. The first image has got a fine screen of squares in the background. This screen is supposed to be invisible/left out.
The other three emplems have a black or white backgroud. Since a printer cannot print white, only the black and red areas will be printed. I will do some test prints on regular paper to test out the dimensions. Once they fit, I will print some emblems on decal foil. I'm thrilled!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:03:23 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I might have to check out this freeware for myself. Is it kind of like adobe photoshop and editing in layers? Nice graphic work. Off to share.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
The emblems look great.
I can't wait to see the decals for your Purge Troopers.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Those look cool. It'll be great to see them on the Troopers.

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
Woah! Great work on the  imperial insignia!  Perfection !

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Thanks for your comments guys! I really hoped to get the Purge Troopers done before Fallen Order was released, but well...working on the Imperial Emblems was a little tricky first, but it worked well with Microsoft Power Point. Now, the first sheet with different decals is ready to be printed. Unfortunately the copy shop is closed due to the Corona thing. So I will skip a post and finally move on here...

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
placeholder

Online Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Darth More's Customs: Easter Egg - Blue Snaggletooth - 12/04/2020
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »
Blue Snaggletooth (Modern Version - complete repaint)

With yesterday's reveal of the Cardback for the TVC Power Droid I thought I'd make a surprise for you guys here. I have no idea about original Kenner figures, but recently I came across Snaggletooth from the Vintage Collection 3-Pack for quite cheap! I got my first one from tunghori for $16.99. Found the second one on ebay last week for 4,25€.

If you haven't already, make sure to check out the threads of Aude & Chuckles. Their customs are outstanding!

Aude: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10654.msg213583#msg213583

Chuckles: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10656.msg213759#msg213759

Making of:

My latest additions to the "black series", which I spray painted with Citadel's black primer yesterday. I was sunny and dry outside.

RC-1136: If you like Republic Commandos, I can highly recommend to you to check out the customs of RC-1136 as well: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10603.msg212671#msg212671

What do you think about black Snaggletooth?

Reference Material:

I do not own this image. Source: Star Wars Cantina
URL: http://starwarscantina.blogspot.com/2006/09/blue-snaggletooth.html

I tried to capture the retro feeling by the choice of colors. That's why I painted all parts with a semi dry-brush to make the black base coat shine through a little. I'm actually quite happy with the blue of Citadel's assortment. I wanted to avoid that the boots look like solid steel. So I gave them a base coat in white first.

Eshin Grey: Painted the V-neck in grey. Thought that's a nice touch.
Thunderhawk Blue: I actually chose this shade of blue by comparison to the reference pictures. Later, when I got the 90's Snaggle out of his baggy I was happily surprised to see both colors match perfectly!
Abaddon Black:Only used this black to correct the spots of the belt where I accidently painted with blue.
Ceramite White: is a really solid base coat - I used it to coer the black primer on the gloves and boots so that the silver and the green don't look darker than they actually are.
Runefang Steel: The white base coat did its job! The silver doesn't look like metal or steel with the white underneath and applied with a base semi dry-brush. Ran out of Revell's aluminum paint and think I found a good alternative in Citadel's set.
Nurgling Green: Inspired by the original Kenner figure, I think this is the perfect green (almost Pistachio) to recreate the original gloves.

Comment: Well, I'm currently working on the four Republic Commandos from Battlefront II as well. And Citadel's colors are either all or nothing. That's why I haven't made that much Progress on them, yet. But in the case of Mr. Snaggle, I think their assortment provides the perfect shades!

Made the belt buckle with a piece of cardboard. This pair of silouette scissors was one of my all time best investments. It was 13€ in a local craft store.

I know the belt itself is not accurate, but I haven't cut it in case I want/have to remove all the paint, again. Saw the TVC Snaggletooth quite a few times in the bay, they were all "used", but hardly played with. So for 4 bucks I thought I'd give it a go and it was a lot of fun. It took about an hour to paint him. Another hour to take pctures, copy, edit, upload and post them.

Actually, the entire costume is npt accurate to the original Kenner release. But as admitted at the beginning of this post, I hardly know anyhing About this mysterious blue Snaggletooth. As far as I know it was included with a cardboard Cantina playset. And it's rare and therefore highly sought after - About $280 on the secondary markets…
This was a fun & easy custom to do. Had played with the thought about making him for half a year now. And he actually turned out nicer than I expected!

StarAlien70: For more modern Vintage customs, check out StarAlien's custom figures:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9737.msg184578#msg184578

Happy Easter everyone! I wish you all the best and a peaceful time with your family in these crazy times…

Update:

A year later I got acrylic varnishes to seal this one. I don't touch the figures a lot, but wanted to make the blue paint look a little less glossy. The boots on the other hand are extra glossy now:

You can take a look at the custom Neimoidian Commander in full detail here.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:44:05 PM by Darth More »