Author Topic: SW CW The Shroud Of Darkness Episode I Hide In Plain Sight Part II  (Read 4604 times)

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander

Some distance away the Recon squad regroups following their crash.

Rex attempts to recontact the forward command center,  “Bestine Command, this is Captain Rex. Our gunship has been downed behind enemy lines, please advise.”.

The group exchanges a worried look as static burst through the comm channel.

Rex retries, “Repeat, this is Captain Rex our gunship has been downed behind enemy lines.”.

The severity of their situation becomes clear as static once again bursts through the comm.

Rex reports, “It’s no use, the droids are jamming our communications.”.

“What now?”, Echo asks on behalf of the entire team.

Fives proudly answers, “We complete the mission.”.

Barriss laments, “But how... Master Unduli did not prepare me for this situation, without her guidance how can I complete the mission?”.

Denal thrust his hand at Barriss and challenges, “With all due respect, Commander Offee, Captain Rex should lead us. He has twice the experience and training of you.”.

Aghast Rex sharply reprimands, “Denal! Commanders Tano and Offee are in command here. You best show them respect!”.

Seeing the truth in Denal's words Ahsoka interjects, “It’s okay, Rex. Denal is right, you do have more experience than Barris or I. What are our options?”.

Echo observes, “The Sepies will send a detachment to inspect the crash site for survivors. We have to move out before they arrive.”.

Ahsoka cautions, “If the droids find no corpses at the crash site they’ll realize we survived and hunt us down.”.

Denal counters, “Our only other option is to fight the recon squad and ensure they don’t relay a signal.”.

Fives warns, “That’s a suicide mission! There will be at least two squads, probably packing armor too!”.

Ahsoka explains, “There are alternatives to fighting. Master Skywalker has shown me the best traps are laid in plain sight. Barriss and I could lower your vital signs so that it would appear to the droids you had died in the crash. Once they moved on we would be free to follow them back to the CIS staging area and ambush the Separatist from behind.”.

Echo worries, “This plan goes against every military strategy and guideline, I’m not sure it will work.”.

Rex points out, “You have to throw out the reg. manual and embrace new tactics if you’re to become a great solider. Ahsoka’s right, now let’s move out!”.

Standing on the Pulstar bridge Anakin attempts to control the swirling torrent of guilt and rage he feels for allowing Ahsoka to lead the missing recon team.

Sensing Skywalker's inner conflict Luminara advises Anakin, “Keep your mind in the here and now. You must not worry about your padawan, trust in the force to see her to safety.”.

“ You misjudge me Master Unduli. I trust in the force to see Ahsoka to safety, by my power.”, Anakin curtly answers.

Cutting the discussion short Commander Gree reports, “The Separatist are nearing our position, Generals.”.

Luminara orders, “Ready your men for battle, Commander.”.

“Here they come, get ready for ‘em!”, Gree shouts,

as the droids march onto the bridge.

The Jedi ignite their lightsabers, weapons which have come to symbolize the honor and skill of their order, preparing for the coming battle.

As the battle for Bestine rages, a detachment of Separatist droid forces arrives at the wreckage of the recon team's gunship.

Commander ES-B5 orders, “Fan out and search for survivors.”.

"Roger, roger.", intones the battle droid lieutenant.

The droids spread out amongst the scattered clones scanning for vital signs.

A moment later the lieutenant returns and reports, “The clones' vital signs are negative, sir. They are all dead.”.

ES-B5 replies, “Very well commander. We must return to the main assault group, Mistress Ventress has engaged the Republic.”.

The droids march from wreckage, their programming satisfied the clones are dead.

Several moments later the padawans burst from a storage compartment of the gunship.

The padawans raise their arms as they release their hold on the clones.

Barriss and Ahsoka fall to ground, the weight of the trance lifted from them.

Barriss excitedly pants, “It worked!”.

“Only the first phase. We still have to ambush the Separatist staging area.”, Ahsoka cautions.

Barriss worries, “It will be difficult to ambush the Separatist if Ventress is leading them. She’ll sense us coming through the force.”.

Ahsoka answers, “I’ve thought of that and may have a solution. If we mask our own presences in the force Ventress won’t be able to sense us coming.”.

Aghast Barriss points out, “If we cloud our force presences our Masters will be unable to sense us either! Ahsoka, they’ll think we’ve been killed!”.

Ahsoka gravely replies, “I know, but it’s our only hope of ambushing Ventress.”.

Barriss laments, “Then I suppose we have no other choice.”.

Green Company heroically holds out against the vastly superior numbers of droids...

... but not without their own losses.

However, with the aid of the Jedi, it seems the tide of the battle may be turning to the Republic.

“Keep up the assault!”, Anakin rallies.

Anakin looks up, feeling a grave disturbance in the force.

"Ahsoka!", he shouts falling to his knees as Ahsoka's presence in the force disappears.

Luminara stands over Skywalker and shares, “I sense it too... they’re gone...".

“Incoming!”, Gree warns the Jedi...

...as Ventress rushes towards the Jedi, downing a pair of clones.

Ventress stands before the two Jedi and sneers, “Jedi, I was afraid you had been killed along with your padawans and clones. I have just received word they are all dead. Don’t despair,  I will reunite you all in the force soon enough.”.

Luminara coolly replies, “We both know that you  do not possess the skills necessary to defeat a Jedi Master, now surrender.”.

Ventress shrieks, "Never!".

Anakin growls, “I was hoping you’d say that.”, and raises his clenched fist in a force choke.

Horrified, Luminara warns, “ Skywalker stop! What you feel is of the darkside, you must not give into it!”.

Anakin continues choking Ventress and yells, “I will avenge Ahsoka! I will make this Sith spawn suffer and die!”. Luminara questions “Is that what Ahsoka would have wanted?”.

Anakin drops his arm, releasing his choke hold on Ventress,  leaving her gasping for air.

Luminara grasps Skywalker’s arm and encourages, “Well done.”.

Together the Jedi then level their lightsabers at Ventress and demand, "Surrender.".

Ventress cackles, "Fools! You will die!".

Summoned by the Dark Acolyte a pair of droidekas roll onto the Pulstar bridge and open fire on the Jedi.

Arriving on shore Ventress orders a battle droid commander, “Activate the reserve forces.”.

Meanwhile, Jedi Master Plo Koon leads the Clone Troopers of Wolfee Pack into battle against the advancing droid forces.

"Cover me!”, orders Commander Wolffe as he rushes past Clone Troopers Sinker and Boost.

Wolfee dives beneath an advancing crab droid and attaches a thermal detonator to its vulnerable underside.

Wolfee detonates the explosive, destroying the crab droid, and rises beside his General reporting, "“Sectors 3 and 7 are secure, General. We have them on the run.”

General Koon takes a moment to survey the carnage around him and replies, “We must push them back to the shoreline, Commander. "...

..."Charge!”.

Emboldened by their General, Wolfee Pack Troopers surge towards the shoreline...

...decimating the Separatist forces!

The group's assault is cut short as a corporate alliance tank droid bursts from the ocean flanked by two dwarf spider droids.

With no heavy artillery of their own Wolfee Pack is outgunned by the droid reinforcements.

Seeing his brothers cut down before him Sinker warns, “They’re to many of them!”.

Realizing there is no other option Plo orders, “Fall back!”.

Anyone familiar with the Clone Wars Adventure Comic Strip will realize I owe a dept of creative gratitude to the short story "Hide In Plain Sight", written by Welles Hartley. I have always had tremendous love for this story and my rewrite is meant as the highest compliment. That said, there are several people without whom's support this would have never been possible. First off, my amazing sister, who worked as my set designer and photographer. She's an amazing artist who delivered my vision to the screen (even when I didn't know what my vision was!). Justin/Chewie, the incredible man behind the Rykrof Enloe PN Series, who provided me the inspiration to pursue a PN through his series and provided countless hours of support. Paul Harrison, of Jedi Temple Archives, for sharing Hide In Plain Sight with his great readers. Ruari Williamson , of Star Wars Clone Wars Basic Action Figures, for allowing me to post the first rough cut images of the PN and providing a great avenue to promote the story. My parents, who bought me my first Star Wars figure a long, long time ago... and have put up my insane devotion to this hobby ever since. And, most importantly, you the readers, for your support and feedback.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:48:01 PM by CloneCrazy »

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: SW CW The Shroud Of Darkness Episode I Hide In Plain Sight Part II
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:17 AM »
CC,

This chapter was even better than the last, your writing flowed really well and you've captured the intensity of battle in great detail. WOW! what an amazing collection of figures and ships you have, seeing them all in battle is great fun and it is part of what makes these stories so special. Your hard work has really paid off as the quality of the presentation and story telling is right up there with the best on the forums.

Straight onto the front page!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
CC,

This chapter was even better than the last, your writing flowed really well and you've captured the intensity of battle in great detail. WOW! what an amazing collection of figures and ships you have, seeing them all in battle is great fun and it is part of what makes these stories so special. Your hard work has really paid off as the quality of the presentation and story telling is right up there with the best on the forums.

Straight onto the front page!

Thanks for the awesome review and front page treatment!!! The "teaser poster" is amazing!!! You guys certainly know how to make a new member feel welcome!!! Read on to the final chapter, the battle continues  ()rr

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »
Welcome to the Yards! What a great story and I love the photography! Very well done and thanks for sharing!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
Welcome to the Yards! What a great story and I love the photography! Very well done and thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it  DH

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
loving this story CC as HB 94 said welcome to the yards!!!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Darth Depressis

• Commander
    • http://starwarsphotonovels.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Depressis
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
And the Saga Continues.....
In keeping with the tradition of
the Original Trilogy our heroes
Are at the greatest peril in the
Middle Chapter.
aside from uninspiring frame
Composition and repetitive angles,
The effects are retaining their
Quality; however I find myself
Hoping the next environment in
The series is subterranean in nature.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
And the Saga Continues.....
In keeping with the tradition of
the Original Trilogy our heroes
Are at the greatest peril in the
Middle Chapter.
aside from uninspiring frame
Composition and repetitive angles,
The effects are retaining their
Quality; however I find myself
Hoping the next environment in
The series is subterranean in nature.

The first SW films I owned on VHS had an interview with George Lucas where he talked about his writing style of the OT and he mentioned placing the heroes in grave in the middle chapter. Must have stuck with me!!!