Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36511 times)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Re: Aude's Workshop
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2021, 07:13:07 PM »
Happy New Year! It has certainly been a while since I shared anything new. The truth is that I’ve probably started too many projects during the past few months. Printing has eaten up a fair chunk of my free time, and I’m still working on the balancing act. Anyway, here's one done!

“A relic of a bygone era…”

Mandalorian Sarcophagus
The Clone Wars: Season 7, Episode 11 “Shattered”

Composition: Resin, acrylic, leather, magnets, LEDs. All seven pieces (main bed, front lid, rear lid, muzzle, right and left binders, and base) are attached using N52 magnets. The base 6” file that I built upon to create this piece is offered by Nic Audino (IG: @thizzolas).

Process: This project has been in and out of development for quite a while. I adjusted, rescaled, added detail to the figure bed of the file this past August for a fellow customizer, then suffered a complete hdd loss shortly thereafter. I have rebuilt many of those files since then and decided to give the vault another go.

The original 6” version has cutouts and is intended to be backlit. They are tiny, and mostly filled in when I first printed the vault at 3.75” scale. This time when I resized it, I decided to fill those spaces completely with raised light veins that could be painted and added meshes for the light piping that runs along the bed. I added more detail to the front lid, reshaped the bed, and designed a rear lid. While waiting ages on certain supplies, I also decided to create binders, muzzle, and base since the vault hovers. The muzzle was originally designed in two pieces as it appears in the episode, but they were tiny and difficult to fit properly so I decided to combine them. The effect is the same when closed.

I had no intention of lighting the sarcophagus after printing the first three pieces, but decided to give it a shot after a conversation with a friend. I had never incorporated lighting into a custom before, and still consider myself a complete novice here. Searching for what I needed was becoming frustrating, and, were it not for the advice of JDeck and Clonehead here, I may not have lighted this project at all. JDeck’s excellent suggestion paid off, and I picked up and (I hope) successfully wired the vault using product from Evan Designs. I was able to fit their LEDs, on/off switches, and tiny coin batteries/holders all into the reverse cavity of the vault. I’m pleased I gave the LEDs a chance! The temple lighting for figures inside the vault is a striking effect.

Painting was mostly quite enjoyable, aside from the light veins in the walls of the bed; those were a headache. I decided to add one more level of complexity after Chris shared an awesome glowing Dagobah fusion furnace that he had cast. I ordered glow powders and paints from three different vendors in the hope that I would be able to create a similar effect for the vault’s light piping. In some places I applied 5-10+ layers of the stuff. The effect seems to work, especially with a blacklight, but attaining an even, bright glow may have eluded me on this project.

The lighting effects were difficult to capture properly, and I do feel I could have taken better photos. Overall, this one was a journey that I am pleased to have taken.

Edit: Process Photo Gallery

File Edits

Fresh Prints

Wiring Circus

Test Fitting a Captive

...and testing muzzle size & fit.

Endcap
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:40:28 PM by Aude »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2021, 03:55:36 AM »
Amazing! Wow!

I don't know how to comment on how great I think this is. I sure wish you worked for Hasbro. Just fantastic!

Off to get this on the front page and try to think of some better comments. Wow!

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »
Simply amazing!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:12 PM »
It’s all in the presentation, eh, aude?
    I was blown away by the prospect of this project when you told me about it. Your tedious work has paid off, big time.
I love it all but since I seen it last, the lights, the paintwork around that interior veining, fabulous!

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2021, 03:11:14 AM »
This is fantastic, I so need a 3D printer now!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2021, 09:34:13 PM »
That is simply brilliant! You show such great attention to detail and the lighting effects are outstanding. You are certainly making excellent use of 3D printing, and you have an amazing talent for design. What else is there to say? Nuthin'

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
Thank you all! I had intended to reply sooner, but here we are. And here I am with another finished project.

"The order will be restored."

General Kalani
The Clone Wars

Composition: Resin, acrylic, magnets, fishing line.

Process: I began this project last August, lost a ton of progress in September, took some time away from it, and finished engineering it in February. I finally had time this past week to sit down and paint and assemble the print. This is the first fully articulated figure that I have designed, printed, and painted; it uses zero parts from any action figure line. The fact that this is possible is incredible to me, and I'm energized thinking about the future possibilities for customizers!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »
A true masterpiece! It certainly shows the potential of printing, but it also showcases your exceptional talent! I'm gobsmacked.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2021, 06:55:33 AM »
Intricate on so many levels. Bravo sir!

Beautiful paint job and design. It has got to feel good knowing this is you throughout the whole process. I mean after this, is there really anything you don't feel you could design, print, and build?

Off to the front pages.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2021, 08:08:34 AM »
That’s just amazing!!!

I’m with you Aude.  3D printing is the next level for customizers.

I just can’t sculpt anything that small anymore.  Forger for iPad let’s me design heads so much more easily.  If the ball gets rolling, I’ll get Z-brush.

My Phrozen printer is another matter.  Either the default print settings are off or my FEP is just too sticky.  I’ve gotten only 2/12 prints and they weren’t pretty.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:28 PM »
Your paint work is amazing! This looks like you straight up purchased this. I've always wanted a super tactical Droid. What scale is this?!
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2021, 08:47:16 PM »
Starchaser: Thank you! This is an exciting time to be customising.  :)

Tamer: Thanks! It does feel great to have finished it, absolutely. I was acutely aware while working on him that I would have no one to blame if anything went amiss. haha The resilience of the material could still improve a bit (it has some flex, but not as much as PVC), and any more complex articulation would require many more pieces and more adhesive, but the process has certainly been an eye opener.

Sjefke: Thank you! 3D printing/design has definitely been an exciting avenue to explore. Once you work out the kinks with your printer, I know you're really going to love using it.

RC-1136: Thank you! I wish I could have straight up purchased one haha, would have saved me many hours. He is 3.75" scale, of course!

"Gentle[droids], we can...build him. We have the technology. We have the capability..." ;)

Pre-paint and full assembly with his predecessors:

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2021, 03:34:18 AM »
Nice. I realy do believe this is the future of our hobby.

Back to the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2021, 11:49:39 PM »
I love that group shot! I might have missed it somewhere in the thread (or its just 'old brain syndrome') but what kind of printer do you have? My son just got one some he could print 28mm miniatures.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2021, 12:19:30 AM »
I'm sure I'd you sold these as unpainted kits many would buy them.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.